ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scrubbing/rubbing in front arches when cornering / what am i rubbing against?

RS Clio 172 Phase 2
thought i would post the prob up here and see what you guys think:

here is a pic of my car,
IMGP0938.jpg

its a full fat phase 2 172 in flame red.
suspension wise its running:
camberbolts (1.5 deg neg camber, 0.5mm toe out each side)
eibach sportlines (still need to settle in a bit further i think)
whiteline adjsutable rear swaybar
enkei SC03 (16x7 inch rims) on yokohama Advan Ad07 205/45/16
OMP front and rear strut braces (rear looks to do F***all and the front one isnt in yet as i want to drop the front struts out and bolt it to the towers properly.

my prob is: after putting the springs and wheels on i went for a drive through some decent twisties and the car was definately scraping against something in the arches. so i found that this was the culprit:
IMGP0958.jpg

IMGP0963.jpg

so i cut out these bits as they seem to hang lower than they should as well?

however i had hoped this was the end of any probs however when i enthusiastically turn around corners with some speed i can feel something in the arch rubbing against something and the car seems to want to understeer.

im thinking it could be an issue with the shocks now hitting their bumpstops (shocks are still std) or possibly the sheet is touching another point of the arch liner?

or is it my std struts giving up after 110'000ks with new springs on them,
eventually i will look at koni yellows or H&R's if funds allow

any ideas? has a previous owner come accross this? possibly solutions?

it only happens when driving over 6/10ths and loading up the car in a corner so it doent give any dramas day to day.

thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
Just cut all the plastic bits away that are rubbing. You always get it on the front when its lowered. Try taking it on track. lol it will be miles worse.
Ive cut loads of plastic away and modded some of the metal work.

RS Clio 172 Phase 2
pics of what you have done?

im thinknig about trying to cover the arch in some coloured chalk so i can more easily see where its rubbing as it will wear it off?

I'd live with the scrubbing if its only scrubbing on plastic bits.

And when tyres are due for renewal, try putting on 195 45 16 instead of 205 45 16's.