ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sealant ontop of Wax?

Si

RS Clio 172
Holla, I would search but really cba. Plus I'm in an ASW mood.

Right, so last weekend I cleaned the motah. Finished with 2 layers of EGP (not the best I know but meh) then I used my viccy's concours wax.

Now... I wanna add more but I know layering wax isn't really the done thing, so what's my best bet? Can I bung more layers of EGP on top of the wax? Or is there no point?

Any advice would be sooper-duper.

Track 172cup
Layering wax is definitely not a bad thing mate, just make sure it's nice thin layers and it will be spot on and last ages, i always put 2-3 layers of wax on

no point in using a sealant over a wax as the wax will break down before the sealant and will end up shortening the 'life' of the sealant

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sealant should never go on top of wax.

If you have to it should always be sealant then wax. :)

Strip it back with a cleanser then start again.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Never top wax with a sealant.

Fixed.

I suck.

<3 you.

Si

RS Clio 172
Cheers boyos. Will give it some more wax in a couple of weeks and then do the whole load again before summer kicks in propa. <3

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cobra night last night, Corona night tonight, Sauvignon and some Champagne at Dinner tomorrow mate.

The best Indian Restaurant in Scotland awaits me tomorrow!

Ah you bugger. My other half doesn't like curries! Good thing I'm moving to London, loads of mates are big curry fans!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Warren said if i'm ever down that way he'll take to the finest Indian in Britain.

He also said, and I quote "Looks like a dump, that's intentional to keep the whites out" FPMSL!

All this shiz is so confusing. Speak English.

So, the FK1000 stuff I used is a sealant, right? Ergo a synthetic wax?

WTF is EPG? Electronic Programme Guide?

Bumder With A Buffer
And lol at "Stubbled" you heathen ;)

LOL! FAIL :(

cows.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I always found that no wax sits well over EGP. It just smears?!

I don't have issues with applyin a trigger seal over a wax. In fact i frequently use Blitz over SW Wax.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Warren said if i'm ever down that way he'll take to the finest Indian in Britain.

He also said, and I quote "Looks like a dump, that's intentional to keep the whites out" FPMSL!

That clown is up in aberdeen in a few wks! I'll take him to "Aberdeens" finest indian. Served by poles & latvians!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pmsl! What's he doing up there!

I'll be down his brown way soon.

BG 182
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but i'm in a similar situation. Clayed, polished and waxed the car last weekend but it's heavily swirled. Got hold of some Poorboys Black Hole, but will I need to strip the wax off before applying it? Then obviously wax over the top of it again.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly mate, get a decent pre-wax cleanser if you can then apply the BH then a couple of wax layers. :)

172 cup- suzu rf600r
I always found that no wax sits well over EGP. It just smears?!

+1, it says on the bottle to apply after the wax which is what i usually do, i did it the other way round (EGP then wax) last time, seems to last longer but doesnt give as good a finish so who knows 'shrug'

BG 182
Exactly mate, get a decent pre-wax cleanser if you can then apply the BH then a couple of wax layers. :)

Cheers Gally, doubt i'll be able to get hold of any as i'm planning on doing it tomorrow. Clay bar should do the trick shouldn't it?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
A clay bar takes off wax...Interesting concept!?

No, wash with APC or G101, that'll strip the wax. Unnecessary tho!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of things strip wax, i've seen wax survive g101 and a light claying. Just depends.

A cleanser will guarantee removal though.

BG 182
Yeah i'm still fairly new to the detailing world, figured as it pulls everything else off it'd take the wax off.

I'll have a bash at both options and see which goes best/doesn't eat the whole of my weekend again.