ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sealent

Fabia VRS
Hey
I took my centre section off last weekend because its been blowing through the clamp renault put on. I use some holts fire gum inside the clamp and on the pipes themsleves and it was perfect. Its come back though!!:dead: Looks like there is quite a bit of movement and it seemas though the paste has cracked a bit. Read up about some flexable silicone, but not quite sure which one is best? also would i have to seperate the exhaust again or could it go over the top?
Cheers:)

Not got a car
Any exhaust sealent is all kak, every one i have used has always cracked and fell off.

182 - conneries de c
As Fred said!

I use/d some "High Temperature Gasket Sealant" from Tool Station.

Its a high temp silocone sealant. Costs about £5.

Used it to seal the joint from the CAT to the rear exhaust and works a treat. No more blowing and flexible.

Put it between and all over the joint, bit messy but whos looking under my car anyway!

Sorted :O)

Last edited:
you'd need to take it all off/apart, clean, and apply to the mating faces before putting it all back together again, preferrably with all new gaskets as well

the one Halfords sell is Loctite 5920

RSC 182 Cup
I just resealed my RS192 with high temp "copper" silicone. Originally I used proper exhaust sealant (white stuff that hardened) and it was useless, I had leaks everywhere and the system sounded crappy. Two weeks later and the silicone is working very well.

This is the one I used- it had the highest temp rating that I could find: http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...mum_Temperature_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

DON'T use this stuff..... http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...e_repair/Permatex_Muffler_Tailpipe_Sealer.htm

Last edited:
  182 - conneries de c
Beas

I would seperate the joint pop some in and around the joint. Put some around the joint and then put the clamp on. Then with the clamp in place put some more on just to be safe. Basically smear the stuff every where! :O)

The joint is always flexing and moving so my advice, so your not under the car every other week is to put loads on. Might not be pretty but its holding and I don't have the annoying noise or hissing.

Fabia VRS
Cheers for all the help!! I think i will invest in some and give it ago. my mate said to weld it up but im not sure that would be an easy place to get at. :)

ITB'd MK1
if it's the join from cat to center section, i'd suggest a new clamp also. re-used clamps can be quite hit and miss, as they wear. Check out the end of the cat for wear too, the 182 cat often rubs through or cracks at/near the join

Fabia VRS
Na that joints ok. Its the joint from the centre section to the rear boxes the clamp that renault put on is pretty rubbish. Was chating to my dad bout it and i think im gona get it flanged to try and get a better fit. Anyone else had this clamp? the two pipes that meet are the same diametre and just butted up with the clamp over the top, so there is two places that it can leak from.:S:)

ITB'd MK1
oh those are terrible! the rear part is one piece from new, but you can buy it in halfs, so they join them with that clamp. I prefer to weld the join.

Fabia VRS
cheers for all the help will have to see what the garage will quote to put a flange on pipe. Hopefully not to bad coz ill take it off and fit it.