ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seat Wiring Dilemma

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I've seen a fair few posts about this, but I cant seem to find the answer that helps me out.

So I put bucket seats in my 172 Cup a couple of weeks ago, but not got round to sorting the wiring out, finally attempted to tackle it at the weekend. I cut the wires to my seats to get them out ( I know i shouldn't have, but I was in a rush and it was snowing and I'd lost my patience ) now of course I have my airbag light on

I've now realised that I could have just unplugged them from the pretensioners. I've tried reconnecting the wires that I cut, then put a resistor across the pretensioner connection, but that didnt work, so I undid that. I've also noticed that in the grey block on the drivers side there were some wires that were already cut, I'm not sure if the previous owner has done something there, but there's no way of knowing.

I have a couple of photos of what I'm left with, would any body be able to help me out?

Drivers side, there's also an additional wire still in the seat, I'm not sure what that's for, seat belt warning light I'm guessing?
upload_2018-4-16_11-47-23.png

Passenger side
upload_2018-4-16_11-48-27.png

I don't have access to Clip or know anyone who does. If anyone could help me out here I would very much appreciate it, cheers!

From memory its the grey block you need the resistors in but yours look already cut then you're out of luck. You'll be needing CLIP by the look of it.

DSC02187.jpg

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
The were never there in the first place, is this because I have a cup so there's no air bags in the seats, not sure if that makes a difference?

Probably worth mentioning that my seat belt warning beep/light worked before i changes the seats and I didn't have any air bag lights

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Bridge the two light colour wires, with a resistor, on the black and red connector. That stopped the airbag light on my 182 when I fitted my Recaros.

Where you based? I just did mine the other day and previous owner(s) had made a mess of them and re-crimped etc. I fitted bucket seats and had to re-sort.

Passenger side is easy because you simply bridge the coloured wires in the block and then the pre-tensioner (if re-using) has less wires.

I stuck these in;

bSvXmg0l.jpg

vFiPBb4l.jpg

and for now wanted to retain the existing pre-pensioners till I get my cage and harnesses in.

Anyway the passenger side is simple if you want to re-wire as said only 4 wires to worry about, 2 from the car and 2 from the pre-tensioner you can work that out fairly simple and it's 50/50 chance of getting right.

Drivers side the pre-tensioner for example has 6 wires, 2 to detect if it's clipped in, 2 are linked to a simple pressure switch, 2 probably for air bag / pretensioner I believe itself for the firing pin.

Anyway I imagine the wiring colours are the same if so these were my notes that might help you.

Car Loom
1.) Grey
2.) Orange
3.) Orange - With grey stripe
4.) Brown
5.) Pink - With brown stripe
6.) Grey - With brown stripe

Seat Belt Loom
1.) Grey
2.) Pink
3.) Blue
4.) Brown
5.) Blue
6.) Brown

Basically link 1 to 1 , 2 to 2, 3 to 3 as they should be.

Regarding how you work out which is 3, 4 and 5, 6 on the seat belt loom thats simple. 5 and 6 on the car loom link as said to 5 and 6 on the seat belt loom. 5 and 6 on the seat belt loom isn't connected at all to the seat belt pretensioner it's linked to a pressure switch which would / was attached to the OEM seat on the side to know when someone was sat in the seat to indicate to the dash.

But in short it's...

Grey to Grey
Orange to Pink
Orange with grey strip to Blue (on the pretensioner)
Brown to Brown (on the pretensioner)
Pink with brown stripe to Blue (the pressure switch)
Grey with brown stripe to Brown (the pressure switch)

If photos helps I can take some, if your near Cambridge i'll also be happy to help out and do it.

Just read your other thread actually regarding seat belts on these.

For reference I drilled a 12mm hole through the side mount and mounted the seat belt clip and pretensioner from the standard seats, there is a metal 'locator' part on the pretensioner that needs cutting away to get it flush though. Then used a nyloc nut to hold it in place. Thats effectively how it was held onto the standard seats except not a nyloc nut but a welded in thread nut to the existing frame.

Again happy to provide guide + photos if needed. I only got this last weekend and Jennifer at Turner kindly had some spare stock of seats so ordered them next day delivery and threw them into the car.

I know it's wired correctly as well because if I remove any of my bullet connectors or the 3.3ohm resistors the air bag light will appear, reconnect and it's vanishes.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Where you based? I just did mine the other day and previous owner(s) had made a mess of them and re-crimped etc. I fitted bucket seats and had to re-sort.

Passenger side is easy because you simply bridge the coloured wires in the block and then the pre-tensioner (if re-using) has less wires.

I stuck these in;

bSvXmg0l.jpg

vFiPBb4l.jpg

and for now wanted to retain the existing pre-pensioners till I get my cage and harnesses in.

Anyway the passenger side is simple if you want to re-wire as said only 4 wires to worry about, 2 from the car and 2 from the pre-tensioner you can work that out fairly simple and it's 50/50 chance of getting right.

Drivers side the pre-tensioner for example has 6 wires, 2 to detect if it's clipped in, 2 are linked to a simple pressure switch, 2 probably for air bag / pretensioner I believe itself for the firing pin.

Anyway I imagine the wiring colours are the same if so these were my notes that might help you.

Car Loom
1.) Grey
2.) Orange
3.) Orange - With grey stripe
4.) Brown
5.) Pink - With brown stripe
6.) Grey - With brown stripe

Seat Belt Loom
1.) Grey
2.) Pink
3.) Blue
4.) Brown
5.) Blue
6.) Brown

Basically link 1 to 1 , 2 to 2, 3 to 3 as they should be.

Regarding how you work out which is 3, 4 and 5, 6 on the seat belt loom thats simple. 5 and 6 on the car loom link as said to 5 and 6 on the seat belt loom. 5 and 6 on the seat belt loom isn't connected at all to the seat belt pretensioner it's linked to a pressure switch which would / was attached to the OEM seat on the side to know when someone was sat in the seat to indicate to the dash.

But in short it's...

Grey to Grey
Orange to Pink
Orange with grey strip to Blue (on the pretensioner)
Brown to Brown (on the pretensioner)
Pink with brown stripe to Blue (the pressure switch)
Grey with brown stripe to Brown (the pressure switch)

If photos helps I can take some, if your near Cambridge i'll also be happy to help out and do it.

Thanks for the detailed reply man, unfortunately I'm up in Edinburgh so a bit far away, thanks for the offer though.

I've fitted clubsports as well, really happy with them.

As for the wiring, the passenger side does seem quite straight forward, as you say there's only 4 wires to connect, but I only have 4 on the drivers side as well, the other ones in the grey block have been cut, the wires you see in the photos are all I have to connect up

JB21 agreed, actually after that photo I re-routed the belts. It's a T30 torx bolt with what felt like the longest thread known to man probably because I did this after fitting the subframe and could only get small 1/2 turns.

Oddsey just had quick thought. Firstly don't worry about the grey block mine was the same and cut like that. Also if I'm correct the CUP doesn't have side airbags like the non-cup (such as what I bought) so I imagine thats why there is 2 wires less.

Stick a 3.3ohm resistor in the air bag block to bridge the coloured wires (black is the earth) for a start and see if that removes light would be my first point of call then if not i'd start worrying more about the other wires.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Oddsey just had quick thought. Firstly don't worry about the grey block mine was the same and cut like that. Also if I'm correct the CUP doesn't have side airbags like the non-cup (such as what I bought) so I imagine thats why there is 2 wires less.

Stick a 3.3ohm resistor in the air bag block to bridge the coloured wires (black is the earth) for a start and see if that removes light would be my first point of call then if not i'd start worrying more about the other wires.

Is the air bag block the red and black connector? I'm assuming I'll still have to reconnect the pretensioner wires that I cut

Thats correct it's the black and red connector, you lift it up and slide the red section out, however as I was pre-warned they usually break and in my case both did. Either way you need to split that connector by whatever means it takes and then simple stick in a 3.3ohm resistor.

Worse case if all else fails you could cut the orange and pink wires going to the connector, strip the wires a little and then twist the wires around the resistors arms and then make sure it's held together with some electrical tape or even crimp the wire to the resistor.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Thanks man. That sounds pretty straight forward. I’ll give that a go!