ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized Handbrake?

Went to go out in the car this morning for the first time in the last few days as the weather has been sh*t as ive tried to avoid driving all together in it, and my car wont move. It seems that the back left wheel is locked on, now sometimes when it was a cold night there would be a bit of resistance from the back wheel then it would pop and return to normal and id set off on my way. but this morning there was no give, it fully wouldnt move at all so i havent been able to go out. anyone know how i can fix this please?

Mk5 golf gti
what car is it?

if it has rear drums then t**t them with a hammer and put on/release hand brake continuously till it frees

My 1.2 with drums did this (as does my R27) when it's cold. I just leave it in gear rather than using the handbrake. Was driving around my icy scheme the other morning with the back wheels locked trying to get them to 'give'. Got some dodgey looks from the neighbours.

My 1.2 with drums did this (as does my R27) when it's cold. I just leave it in gear rather than using the handbrake. Was driving around my icy scheme the other morning with the back wheels locked trying to get them to 'give'. Got some dodgey looks from the neighbours.

something to bear in mind for the future, still havent got it to move because its just too cold to go outside lol, but going to jack it up tomorrow and give it a good seeing to

GB 182 FF
I thought I had gotten away from seized rear brakes when we got rid of the MK4 astra.. that loved to lock its cables up in the cold weather lol.

Hmm clio left in gear too me thinks.

I've just had this problem, but both rear wheels have locked.
Handbrake cable is loose too so it's not that.

The night before it done it briefly, but the day after, they were jammed on solid.

I had the wheels off and tried banging them with the hammer to no avail, so the car is now on a trailer with a trusted mechanic to see what he can do.
Supposedly this is quite a common problem, but what ticks me is that my car is only 3 years old.