ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling car/Insurance running out soon Dilemma..

I've got my car up for sale at the moment and my insurance runs within the next week, i'm worrying that if it doesn't sell i'm going to have to pay another ridiculous amount only so that people can test drive it...? (I won't need to drive up until after xmas so don't have another car/insurance set up)

Temporary insurance want £46 for 1 day or £190 for 10 days but again, what if they car doesn't sell?

I could SORN the car but it has 6 months tax and 12 months MOT, will anything happen to these with SORNing a car?

Sorry to sound pathetic/retarded but i'm sick of paying these companies stupid amounts of money and want to avoid it all until i come to buying a new car.

Any help is really appreciated :(

Thanks,
Adam

Megane r26
I've got my car up for sale at the moment and my insurance runs within the next week, i'm worrying that if it doesn't sell i'm going to have to pay another ridiculous amount only so that people can test drive it...? (I won't need to drive up until after xmas so don't have another car/insurance set up)

Temporary insurance want £46 for 1 day or £190 for 10 days but again, what if they car doesn't sell?

I could SORN the car but it has 6 months tax and 12 months MOT, will anything happen to these with SORNing a car?

Sorry to sound pathetic/retarded but i'm sick of paying these companies stupid amounts of money and want to avoid it all until i come to buying a new car.

Thanks,
Adam

Personally I wouldn't re insure it chap, if you have someone coming to look at it an is dead keen to drive an potenially buy it then pay for a days cover on the day if possible. As for sorning it I sold a car back in september, it had 6 months tax an 12 months MOT but wasn't insured as it wasn't being driven an I never heard anything of it.

I've got a car to sell at the moment, m.o.t'd it for a year in early Dec, let the insurance expire back on Dec 4th - returned the road tax for refund and SORN'd at the same time - New owner will have to tax on the same day they pick up....car's a car in my opinion, want to test drive it, get your own insurance and show me the cert.... Plenty of people will buy...at the right price.

Though no test drive if sorn'd.....easy.

Use this V14 form to get your tax refund and sorn'd at the same time.

Black Gold Trophy
It's a right pain tbh!
I was under the impression the 'law' was introduced to cut down on the number of uninsured drivers, however in my opinion all it does is make it a very expensive ordeal for the average joe public to legitimately sell a car privately.

I suppose it all depends on how well presented the car is I suppose and how quickly you want it gone.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Sorning the car means you are declaring it off the road, which is fine but this is what you do when you dont want road tax and are happy to leave it tucked in the garage or on the driveway.
it wont effect your MOT.
But if you still have 6 months Tax, and still wish to SORN it, then you wil need to get the tax sent back ASAP as they only pay back for full months available.
so do that before the end of the month and claim back 5 months of tax, SORN it, and then keep it advertised.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
What if you have no mot, tax or insurance for a car on a drive way?

Do you have to get it towed for an mot before it can be taxed?

Ford Mustang 5.0

Thanks,
Adam

Adam

Are you planning to get a new car to replace the Clio as you could always take out insurance again and switch it to your new car once you buy it that way you avoid having to cancel?

Alternatively you could look for an annual policy that offers a pro ratta cancellation (there would normally be an admin fee applied). This way you can take out annual insurance and cancel when the car sells, it could work out cheaper than doing temp insurance. If you did claim under this policy though the whole premium would be due.

If you need a hand getting quotes drop me a PM with your contact number and i'll happily run through the different options for you.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 376000

Thanks for all the info, i don't necessarily want to SORN the car i just thought with it not being insured it had to... but i've been told since it has tax i can just keep it on the drive? (which would make sense as i'm paying for it to be on the road, me just getting confused)

As for insurance Neil, i've found a really good quote with lancaster classic insurance for the new car but unfortunately they want £1600 to insure the clio which is more than double what my renewal quote from Brentacre was/is which is a shame as like you say, I could of just swapped the insurance over.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
There should be 14 day cancellation period on car insurance I think. Get a cheap quote, if it sells within 14 days get a refund (I think this is possible) or after 14 days you'll get a pro-rata'd amount back. This may be cheaper than short term as said Neil said, but worth looking the pro-rata'd amount.

I was lucky to sell my 172 literally minutes before the insurance ran out.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Can you not just add it as a tempporary car to your main insurance policy? Thats what ive always done in the past - usually up to 28 days at a time. I've also noticed that you can have a taxed, but uninsured car on your driveway for over a month without getting any letters about it, so i certainly wouldnt worry about a week or so ...

I've been told about the 14 day cancellation period too but would have to call and check with my (now old) insurer to see if they do it.

Okay thats good news Dave about keeping it on the drive, I have had 2 emails about viewing and one may come down this friday so i'm having a little bit of xmas luck :)

Brentacre said they don't do temporary insurance (that's who i'm with) it was the first question i asked him when i called so that went straight out the window.

All seems good for now though, thanks all for the help! Appreciate it