ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

serious HELP needed!

a low one
right, tonight is a disaster, my key has snapped off in the ignition barrel leaving the main stem off the key inside it with all my windows down but the steering lock off. it has taken 2 hours to tow back and is now wrapped in bin bags to protect it from the pissing rain! also, the tow eye screw was so rusted there was no thread left so it was towed off the sub frame causing damage to the bumper.

I could do with advice on whats going to happen with the car in terms of what needs to be done to fix the problem, new barrel? which would mean ECU re coding or not?

Just any help would be much appreciated! :(

Thanks

MK2 Clio
What could be worth a try ( I know this sounds odd) is you could try supergluing the fob end to the key stuck in the barrel? Worked on my bike lock a few years ago...

a low one
it could be worth a try! the only thing is that the key got jammed in the barrel to start with, thats how the key snapped from us trying to free it :/

172DD Cup
i had similar with a vectra. key snapped in ignition barrel. i picked up a full lock set from the vectra forum for £15 and armed with my trusty haynes manual i removed the old barrel, fitted new one and door lock, job done. wrapped around the old ignition barrel was the receiver for the immobiliser- i clipped this onto the new barrel when fitting it.

for the immobiliser, i pulled the little transponder chip out of the old keys and put them in the new keys. dont know about the clio, but...

for the alarm and central locking, the key and the button come apart separately, you should be able to slide the old key off the buttons and slide the new key onto the old buttons, thus no need for reprogramming

_editor_DSC00641.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got two keys, door locks, boot locks and an ignition barrel from the same car. Oh, will have the decoder ring, too. No ECU though..

172DD Cup
just one thing, if you buy a barrel etc from somewhere that needs posting, get it posted to a friends address, or workplace if you dont drive to work. may seem over cautious but the last thing you want is someone turning up at your house in the middle of the night with an identical key...

Clio RS 200
Listen to Fred mate. Get it done properly. Im in vehicle recovery and the amount of people we go out to who try to do things like this on the cheap and end up in the s**t again is unbelievable.

a low one
Thanks for all the advice guys, luckily my neighbour who owns a garage sent one of his lads down to mine at lunch and he fixed it somehow! im not sure how as i wasnt in at the time but everything is working fine now and the only thing i lost out on was a key which snapped!

So glad its back on the road :)

a low one
i met the guy that did it last night and he said basically snap-on do a lock picking kit and he just had patience with it and managed to free it out of the barrel, he'd done it a few times on other cars and luckily the key wasnt twisted but he said the most likely cause of the key jamming to start with was a defect in they key