ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

servicing cost

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Just been quoted £210.00 for a 24k service on my CUP172 at a Renautl stealer.

I thought this sounded a bit expensive.

What do you guys/girls think.

Also anyone tell me what I will get for my money other than being ripped off.

Cheers

BMW 330d :)
I paid £110 for mine as the guy gave me a discount! Said a renaultsport was expensive enough to run so he said he would give me a help out! Brill!

172 Mk2
mines going in for it's 55k service on friday and it's shocking how much they charge and what they actually do, at the end of the day all i want is the stamp in the log book!

Tangoed Works
I will ask them for you when I pick her up later! They had another 182 in the garage along with a mk1 vee 6 and a 197 out front. Strictly RS models being worked on there.

Silver 182 with cup packs
My one is due in for it's 12K service now. Having to hang off until I get paid though (I'm between 12000-13000, but have no intentions of going over the 13000 mark).

I take it anything around the £200 mark from a Renault Dealer is about the price I should expect to pay?

172 Cup
Mine's overdue at the moment for it's 24k :( I have been quoted £170 and £180 by Renault dealers around the S-O-T area. I need to book it in very soon.

Full Fat 182
Had my 12k done yesterday, £143.33 from Sunwin Renault in Mansfield, Derby wanted £220 and both included a reduction for Supplying my Own oil! Had a play in a 197 which was different. not a fan tho and mine feels fantastic after a good service and propper good oil. In comparision, the 197 was sluggish, despite having done nearly 5k, wasnt impressed but loved the steering wheel

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
The original price I was quoted for my 24k service was £270.00 but I told them I had been offered a better price else where and they reduced it to £210.00.

At the end of the day I think they will charge what they think you will pay so its well worth trying to beat them down.

There are a lot of garages out there fighting for your business so we are all in a good position to play one off against another.

jayxx83 said:
I will ask them for you when I pick her up later! They had another 182 in the garage along with a mk1 vee 6 and a 197 out front. Strictly RS models being worked on there.

Sounds like it could be the place for me unless anyone knows anywhere in Kent that's good?

Having said that there's a small independent place not far from my house and there's sometime a Trophy parked outside, I'll have to make some enquiries!?!?

I also need to find somewhere good for Tyres in Kent/South East, any suggestions?

Cup 172
I paid £158 for both my 12k and 24k service at Benfield Renault in Kendal. They have been faultless so far and have fixed everything I have asked them to. Below is what you should expect for servicing.(Was posted along time ago!)

Servicing (UK only)

172/182
Normal servicing is done ever 12k or 2 yrs there is a 1 month/1k tolerance so you can have it done up to 25month or 13k before any warranty implications. Beyond this time/warranty period you maybe asked by Renault for a % payment from yourself for warranty work depending upon how much later you had the service done. However they can only really ask if having the service done at the right time would have spotted the issue. The servicing period used to be 12k/1 yr some dealers haven’t changed there stickers or aware of the new rule which applied to the Renault Sort cars now

What needs to be done normally.

The service schedule is quite complex so instead of being called 12k etc I’ll change them to
12k A
24k A
36k A and B
48k A
60k A
72k A, B and C
84k A
96k A
108k A and B
120 A

Hopefully you get the idea. At 72k you need both A, B and C doing. When you do the work / book it in you ask for the service by mileage though.

If you don’t do 12k ever 2 yrs then the car needs to be serviced ever 2yrs to the same specification as if you had done that mileage.

An “A” service consists of

Change oil (for a 5/40 oil this is important to check some dealers use 10/40 as per normal Clio’s)
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Change passenger compartment filter (if appropriate)
Check bodywork for rust etc (this is part of the Renault anticorrosion check)
Check brakes for wear, failing seals, fluid level (the reservoir on the 172/182 is at the back of the engine on the driver’s side on the bulkhead. You need to remove the engine cover if fitted to see if often as it is in an annoying place)
Check power steering fluid level/pipes
Check exhaust
Check condition of the rubber gaiters on the steering rack
Check the coolant level (big tank attached to the back of the engine bay on the passenger’s side of the car. Top up etc as appropriate so the level is between the minimum and maximum. Make sure you do this when the engines coolant is cold as the system is highly pressurised (1.2 bar and hot) so it can hurt you if you try removing the cap when it’s hot. Also fluid level changed when it’s hot.
Front and rear windscreen wiper check. Condition etc.
Tyres check for uneven wear and pressures (spare should be also check).
Check front and rear shock absorbers are correctly fixed no leaks etc.
Check bulbs work (brakes/indicators etc)
Check battery charge state.
Check all windows/mirrors for cracks etc.
Computer check of any errors logged in the ECU etc.

Some dealers will check other things i.e. tyre wear depth and top up washer fluid these should be a normal check anyway though as an owner.

Expect to pay between £120 and £150 depends where you are in the country. Shouldn’t take more than half a day but dealers ask for it all day so they can have work all day for the mechanics.

A “B” service consists of

The auxiliary belt (known as the AUX belt) being changed this is about £100 extra on top of the normal A service.

A “C” service consists of

Cam belt changed this is usually at a point where people go look at other garages as it’s a 8hr job and Renault can charge £600 or so. Unless you know the garage have changed belts on 172/182’s before don’t use them however good they are many cars have been ruined by people doing this themselves or getting a garage who don’t know the intricacies of doing the job.
Also the spark plugs are changed, the normal Renault ones are fine for 72k so no need to change them before this time. They are a good quality plug (should be at £20 a time) and there no need for any aftermarket ones.

Note for the V6 owners (Mk1 and 2)

Air filter should be changed every 36k not 12k.
Spark plugs are changed at the 48k service.
Fuel filter changed every 72k

Apart from that it’s the same as the 172/182 above.

On top of this servicing are other things that need to be done regardless of mileage

Cam belt and aux belt shouldn’t be any older than 5yrs.
Brake fluid should be changed ever 4 yrs
Central locking buttons battery changed every 2 yrs
Coolant changed every 4 yrs or 72k whichever is earlier.
Fuel filter changed ever 150k
Airbags and pretensioner system changed ever 10 years.

That’s the official lines. Personally I’d change the oil between every service (doesn’t cost much for the oil and you can do it yourself). Also change the brake fluid every 2 years or least bleed the brakes.
Renault has to ask if you want them to do any other work to your car i.e. change brake pads. Personally I wouldn’t get them to do any as you can change pads in 40 minutes and buy them from Renault for £40ish. Renault will want £40 to fit them so might as well save some money.

P.S. Thanks to whoever wrote this originally. Very Useful.

C

clio172cup20

Service it yourself, i can get a stamp if anyone is intrested?!?!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
chiefsilverback said:
£250 at Whitehouse Renault in Tunbridge Wells! Apparently is a very comprehensive service with a full diagnostics check!?!?!?
In other words, a quick air filter change and an employee drag race out the back.

SoA2k6 said:
In other words, a quick air filter change and an employee drag race out the back.

Probably!

I'm thinking it might be worth taking a day off work and heading down via Michel Delver Tyres to RenTechNew, get a new set of boots and a service/tracking. I'll probably get the front pads done at the same time!?!?

I've just emailed Mike to see if he can do a service, pads and alignment next Friday, get No. 99 ship shape and ready for a blast to/around the Peak District next weekend...

182FF c/w Recaros
Acejon said:
Had my 12k done yesterday, £143.33 from Sunwin Renault in Mansfield, Derby wanted £220 and both included a reduction for Supplying my Own oil! Had a play in a 197 which was different. not a fan tho and mine feels fantastic after a good service and propper good oil. In comparision, the 197 was sluggish, despite having done nearly 5k, wasnt impressed but loved the steering wheel

If you hadn't bothered about using your own oil, how much would it have been.

Renault Nottingham want around £230 for a 12K service and from what' i've experienced so far, their customer service is sh*t!!

Also, what oil did you use is it the same oil if you'd have let Renault do it?

Thanks

Full Fat 182
domtheone said:
If you hadn't bothered about using your own oil, how much would it have been.

Renault Nottingham want around £230 for a 12K service and from what' i've experienced so far, their customer service is sh*t!!

Also, what oil did you use is it the same oil if you'd have let Renault do it?

Thanks

Have a look at this thread, cant be doing with typing it all out again....