ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Servicing info please?!!!

Clio sport
Hi, i have a cup 172. Its done 66k. It had a camblet change after 5 years on 42k. Another 5 years have passed so techincally its due another cambelt change. But its only done 24k since the last change, which is nothing!!! With my previous vehicles i have only ever done cambelt changes when its due based on mileage not time. What are your views?? It had an interim service (oil, filters etc) 7 months ago in May. Thoughts please?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Do it... or don't, it's your car but don't come crying if a tensioner fails or the belt snaps.

Remember that the parts are subject to stress from temperature and pressure even when the vehicle is stood both off and at idle speeds.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I know of a 9 year old megane 1.6 on original belts, the owner says he will just scrap it when it goes lol

Clio sport
Good insights thanks, except the comment about crying lol.......pillock.

I bought it for £1500, insurance runs out in august. Depends on whether im looking to keep it for a long period or not. Is there a way of checking the integrity of the belt without the £££££??? Or is it a case of, exposing the belt means you mers as well change it?!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nagh, I can spot tight fisted time wasters Chi we get calls from them daily "just asking for advise" which translates to "will you tell me how to do this myself for free" then they're always the first to plead poverty when their car breaks.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Nagh, I can spot tight fisted time wasters Chi we get calls from them daily "just asking for advise" which translates to "will you tell me how to do this myself for free" then they're always the first to plead poverty when their car breaks.

Gotcha ;)

dan's cast offs.

have you ever had the...'joe bloggs' did my car now it won't run properly and i can't drive it up to you for you too sort out for me, what should i do to get it driving so i can get it to you to sort out?

when they really mean...'hi, i spoke to you a while ago, spent ages on the phone to you, you gave me a very fair quote but i decided to do the job myself but i don't want to admit that to you. anyway i've made a complete mess of it and my mates can't sort it for me so i'm back to you but i still don't want to give you my money!!'

one of the reasons if i give a quote over the phone i always save the number and put a note of the quote along with it;)

Good insights thanks, except the comment about crying lol.......pillock.

I bought it for £1500, insurance runs out in august. Depends on whether im looking to keep it for a long period or not. Is there a way of checking the integrity of the belt without the £££££??? Or is it a case of, exposing the belt means you mers as well change it?!

If Mick is one thing, it isn't a pillock. Very knowledgeable and I'd personally be grateful for his input.

The second point you've made sums it up nicely. If it's not worth much to you, and you can live without a car for a bit when it goes bang. Then you could argue it's not worth the 500 quid to service it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I personally won't ever quote over the phone/forum unless it's for a fixed price item such as timing belts.

I always ask people to email via the website so every request for info is stored. My system automatically looks up duplicate plates and customer details to so I can see who is a returning customer vs who is just a waste of time.

Megane 225 f1
I replaced my 182's belt when it was about 6 and a half years old it was the original belt and it had done iirc approx 40k. When I took the plastic idler off and looked at it I noticed a split in the plastic right down to the bearing. I couldn't believe it and have never seen anything like that before. Lucky because she does get driven like they were built to be driven! So its not only rubber that perishes. Get it done if you value your valves! I have also seen plenty of auxillary belts let go smash the plastic belt cover and take out the cambelt.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's the chosen method of Renault to vary the inlet valves variable position. Some call them "Variators" but Renault call them " Dephasers".

There is no official service schedule on them but they are (or should be) inspected at every belt change and if any signs of movement or free play are observed in the assembly it is to be replaced. Failure to do so results in a horrible metallic rattle at low engine speeds and idle though full on failure is extremely rare and highly unlikely we advise that it be done IF you plan to keep the car. Faulty Dephasers can cause poor mpg, poor power delivery, high emissions and embarrassment with the honiez.

If you do then proceed to have the belt changed and the pulley fails/shows signs of wear and you ignore it, to replace the part will require the belt job to be done in full again so it's not cheap. I personally charge the additional cost of the pulley and an oil/filter change on top of the standard belt job (I also pass on the pulley at cost rather than retail).