ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Set charge for warranty work!??!

Boxster S
Just spoken to Renault in Slough to book my car in for some work under warranty and they are saying if they can't find a fault with the car they will have to charge me £49.94. Is this standard across all Renault dealers or have they just made this up at Slough?

I'm hesitant to take it in now as the fault I have is an intermittant one. From cold, when I'm on full lock it feels like the wheels are slipping and there is a banging through the steering wheel. Has anybody ever come across this? I'll stick a seperate post in the mechanical thread as well...

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
That sounds like a load of crap.

My mini was in once a month, sometimes they couldn't diagnose the problem, but the problem was there. Never got charged, and it always got valeted for free into the bargain too

artic blue 182
mate that is total b****cks...renault slough are a bunch of monkeys they tried to charge me on a warranty job because i never bought the car there !!!..always found Delta (now Bridges) in maidenhead to be better

Racing Blue 182
They said this to me once, if they cudnt find the fault i would be charged for labour, i was like i dont think so mate

106 GTi
Robbing gits, take it to another dealer, sounds like easy money for incompatent dealers to me.

Boxster S
daveio said:
mate that is total b****cks...renault slough are a bunch of monkeys they tried to charge me on a warranty job because i never bought the car there !!!..always found Delta (now Bridges) in maidenhead to be better

Cheers for that mate, took it to Slough and guess what. "Nothing wrong with your car"!! I've now booked it in with Delta, so I'll see what they have to say about it all

So, you take your car in tell them theres a problem they confirm it and then want to charge you for telling them first theres a problem and they cant fix it!?!

If you have the Renault extended warently (past 3yrs or 60k) then you have to pay for a chec if it is a failure then you don't pay.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue
I've had this before both with Renault and others. Also applies if there IS a problem but it isn't warranty.
Might seem annoying but the dealer has to make money. I assume if it is warranty then they can claim the cost back, if not they have tied up a technician for an hour or whatever and got nothing out of it.

Perhaps if it is intermittent, you can wait until it occurs and just go down to the dealer and get someone to take a quick look,check?
I have done this before and once they agreed there was a problem got it booked in properly.

Boxster S
andrew_172 said:
I've had this before both with Renault and others. Also applies if there IS a problem but it isn't warranty.
Might seem annoying but the dealer has to make money. I assume if it is warranty then they can claim the cost back, if not they have tied up a technician for an hour or whatever and got nothing out of it.

Perhaps if it is intermittent, you can wait until it occurs and just go down to the dealer and get someone to take a quick look,check?
I have done this before and once they agreed there was a problem got it booked in properly.

It's an intermittant problem, and I did have the technician out with me and I couldn't make it happen again. I left it with them for the night and they couldn't make it happen. As soon as I drove off, before I'd left the forecourt it happened again. I doubt how much they actually checked it. So I'll take it to somebody else and see what happens.

Trophy No. 440
Penfold,

Check out the Clio Trophy forum at cliotrophy.co.uk There are loads of threads about knocking noises through the steering. Some people seem to think that it's just the ABS doing a self test, but others seem to think that something is wrong. Whatever it is, it seems to be quite common on 172/182's and Trophys :S

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
no its not the abs Trophyboy, ive got/had the same problem.

under full lock the wheels feel like they are slipping, i asked my dad and he said that they were, but ive heard people saying that it might be something to do with the suspension?

i dont know but have the same problem as you Penfold

Ad

MK2 FRS
Took mine into AC renault in wigan today for the alarm and they stated that there would be a £42.50 charge for diagnostics should they not find anything. Quick phonecall to Renault UK who will sort this should they try to charge me!!

Some dealers WILL charge you for a non-warranty check....it's at their discretion and as explained above, there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't. The technician who spends time checking your car and the "monkey" on the other end of the phone still has to get paid at the end of the month y'know, even if you've "told him where to go"...
Generally speaking however, at my garage we don't tend to charge for a NFF warranty job.