ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up coilovers

I'm going to be purchasing some coilovers for my Clio at the beginning of next month and fitting them myself with the help of a friend.

I want a fairly low drop if possible (40mm-45mm) however I don't want to destroy the ride completely. I'm getting the GAZ/KTR setup which also has damping adjustment to try to limit this.

Is it best to set a fairly soft damping to start with to cushion the ride somewhat, then tweak it for handling characteristics... ie, to eliminate over/understeer and reduce body roll?

Whats the best way to begin setting them up? Obviously after fitting, the car will get tracked but I don't think they will set the damping etc for me too.

I'd say set it at standard ride height and take it from there, take all your measurements now and then set the coilovers to these heights and run for 2-3 months to let them settle ,then adjust as required but you'll need to have the geo set up each time you adjust the ride height. I'd set the dampers to mid point when 1st fitted, it depends the damper rates and quality for how harsh the ride will be.

Regards Russ.......

LY FF182
When I've fitted coilovers, set both fronts the same amount of threads from the bottom and both rears the same as each other. Bolt to the car and see how it sits. Lower or raise to your tastes.. Just set it to what ever you want it to be like. No point fannying about over a few months. It'll take a while to get it all level and by eye it won't be perfect but close enough. The damping however can just be played with as much as you like. These the ones with fixed rear damping? General rule is the stiffer you make the front, in comparison to the rear, the more understeer you get.

LY FF182
Makes the rears stiffest you can cope with on the road and the fronts a couple clicks from full soft :)