ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sharepoint 2010 Office Services

Rav4
Hi,

With 2007 it integrates nicely with office 2007, not really with 2003.

What I want to know is, with SharePoint 2010, can you use the word / excel services without actually having office installed locally on the machine?

I don't care if it's far more basic, than without the local copy.

It's simply due to office being published through Citrix via a third party company thus it's not "locally" on the machine.

Thanks,

Rav4
Are you?

Always on the help!!!

Thanks buddy, let me know how you get on.

I really want to implement it, just havent had time, been pondering for ages know.

If users can modify all the documents and so on, WITHOUT having MS office installed locally, then this is a winner, an absolute winner.

Are you installing it on a single server?

Thanks,

I'll tell you on Monday.

I'm upgrading our Sharepoint over the weekend. ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't go near Sharepoint :p

Our Sharepoint estates are over like 30 odd servers, or something equally ridiculous, per farm. We have testing and dev estates too... expensive business this Sharepoint rubbish

Rav4
Depends how big you are.

We are small, only 120 employees.

Single server should be ok,

It's actually very good, as you can do so much with it.

:p

I don't go near Sharepoint :p

Our Sharepoint estates are over like 30 odd servers, or something equally ridiculous, per farm. We have testing and dev estates too... expensive business this Sharepoint rubbish

Astra CDTI SRI
Nope! Lol!

It wouldn't let me install 2010 as the machine I run it from is a DC.

You can't install it on a DC apparently......

And as it's the only 2008 64 bit server we have, I can't install it.

Rav4
Hyper V is your choice then.

That's unfortunate, do you currently have 2007 installed on there?

dk

911 GTS Cab
are you trying to get out of having the office installed because you don't want to pay for the licensing? (i.e. pikey ;) )

Astra CDTI SRI
Hyper V is your choice then.

That's unfortunate, do you currently have 2007 installed on there?

Only WSS 3.0, not full blown Sharepoint. The upgrade is to "Sharepoint foundation" rather than full sharepoint 2010 (which is fine for what we use it for)

Rav4
are you trying to get out of having the office installed because you don't want to pay for the licensing? (i.e. pikey ;) )

read the original post :p, we already have full versions of office but they are hosted for us, including exchange and our insurance software via citrix.

Sharepoint is stupidly expensive with them, so we would like it separately, hence why needing the office functionality as sharepoint won't integrate with the citrix environment we have.

Additionally, we have office 2003, not great for sharepoint ;)