ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sharing a printer over a network

www.renparts.co.uk
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone would be able to help me. We have 2 computers running XP, just bought a HP Laser printer with a ethernet port on the back. Both computers are currently connected to the internet via a netgear router. How can i share the printer between both, currently i haven't installed this printer on either computer as this model doesn't come with a software disc, it installs everything from the printer itself when connected. Just wondering how i would go about doing this.
Thanks
Josh:boring:

BMW M135i
Which printer?

The short of it is to connect it to another port on the router then set each computer up to print to it. But need to know the specifics first.

Dirty E91
Hook it up to the router(or you can share it on the PC it is connected to already), you can always get the printer driver from the HP website.

www.renparts.co.uk
Printer is a HP Laser jet M1212nf MFP

So should i plug the printer straight into a spare port on the router?
Josh

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Plug the printer into a spare port on the router.

As the printer has a screen, you might be able to navigate to a menu on the printer that allows you to print a test page of the network config, alternatively, login to the router and obtain the IP from there.
Use the IP to "Add a New Printer", add new port, TCP/IP etc.

Alternatively... Search the network for it using "Add new Printer", it should pick it up.

Not sure though, haven't used XP in a looooooong time!

Or you could connect the printer to one of the PCs and share it that way. However the PC that it is connected, would need to be turned on when the other person wants to print.

www.renparts.co.uk
Right ive turned the printer on and connected the patch cable to the router. Downloaded and extracted the above. What do i do next?
Ive been on the printer options

Network config - TCP/ip config then that is set to automatic.

Thanks for the help so far.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Im not sure what that file does, but..

As the printer has a screen, you might be able to navigate to a menu on the printer that allows you to print a report of the network config of the printer, alternatively, login to the router and obtain the IP from there.
Use the IP to "Add a New Printer", add local printer, add new port, TCP/IP etc.

Should be fairly straight forward!

www.renparts.co.uk
Right ive found out the IP of the printer now, so i added that and closed the installation off half way through, now when i try to add that IP again its saying ive already created that port, how do i delete it?

We have ours connected to a HUB, which also has an external HDD on it too. Use's the software to connect to the hub which gains you access to the bits on the HUB.

Obviously only one PC can be connect to the HUB at any one point.

The HUB is connected to the Wireless Router.