ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sharing / Mapping network folder

Google is killing me with it's shitty results on this.

We have a network with 6 machines, one of which has our 'shared' data on, with a mapped drive to access.

Now, what I want to do is be able to access that mapped drive / folder from outside the office (home / laptop etc) So I don't always need to be in the office when accessing these files, or anyone else in the company for that matter.

Help?

172 Cup SOLD
VPN Access

Alternatively quite a few years back we did this, but using Serv-U on the PC with the data to share, so it acts as Server and creating user accounts, then connecting to it using FTP with one of the set user accounts.

Any links / guides as I've tried setting up a VPN through XP's network options with no luck.

Thanks.

Ok, I've set up a few remote access accounts using VPN (XP Remote connection) and that works fine for the remote access to the server where the content is stored.

But how do I map a drive / folder so I can work on the files locally.

E.g.

Spreadsheet on Office machine (Running Server 2003)
I'm on laptop at home (running XP / Vista)
I need the spreadsheet on my laptop, so I log into the office machine remotely

How can I copy that file, onto my PC, and back again if needed?

182FF with cup packs
try the following.

Got Start - Run
Type \\servername click OK

If that doesn't work, try using \\server_ip_address

That should bring up the list of shares.

If \\servername does work, then your already mapped drives should work fine.

I would think that this will be OK if you are assigning your VPN IP's with DHCP and that your server already does DHCP for your network.