ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shhpeaking of torrents. Help please.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've got uTorrent and Azeusus or whatever it is, I'm on www.bitsoup.org and www.isohunt.com et al, yet when I click on a file/movie/application etc to download, it downloads with uTorrent at around 1.1kb/s max! Usually 0.3kb/s or similar.

I'm with AOL up to 4MB at the moment with a BT Voyager 105, have Norton Antivirus software but can pull down the firewall and worm protection if needbe, but its done no good. I've left it running for ages too, but still to no avail.
Am I doing something wrong? Loads of people have mentioned portforwarding when I've searched on google, but my mate has AOL and has had no problems at all. Whats going on? :S
It will not download at mega speeds (maybe 150kb/s at least) which I'm presuming it should.

SLK 350
Uninstall Azureus, it's a memory hog, stick with uTorrent.

Within uTorrent goto the options menu and look for the port your client is configured to listen on, this needs to be changed. I'd suggest something random like 45678 as a port to use. Also enable encryption on the data which will hopefully also boost your speed.

It's most likely AOL are throttling that port.

---------------------------------------

Info from - http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_do_I_change_the_port_.C2.B5Torrent_uses.3F

How do I change the port µTorrent uses?

Open the Options, click Network. You can change the port in the box next to "Port used for incoming connections." However, it takes a restart of µTorrent to take effect. Make sure you do not run two clients with the same port!

What ports should I use for µTorrent?

It is generally recommended to not use any port in the range 6881-6889. µTorrent only uses one port, however, so you only need to forward one. It is best to use a port number above 10000.

Why are my torrents going so slow?

Most likely, the port you set for µTorrent is not forwarded. If µTorrent is displaying
yellownetwork.png
, then this is the case. There is also the possibility that the torrent is simply slow, especially those with small swarms (low numbers of seeders/peers). It is also possible that your firewall is blocking connections for µTorrent. Make sure you set an exception for incoming and outgoing connections for µTorrent in your firewall's configuration! If you block ICMPs with your firewall (Windows Firewall blocks them by default), you should allow "Destination Unreachable" to aid the proper functioning of DHT (it works anyway though).
If everything is set up fine, you will see
greennetwork.png
in the status bar (to the left of DHT:) after you start a torrent and get an incoming connection. If it stays yellow, try a torrent with many peers to make sure there's enough peers in the swarm to guarantee you getting an incoming connection.

If you use an alternate firewall while on Windows XP SP1 or SP2, make sure you turn off the Internet Connection Firewall (SP1) or the Windows Firewall (SP2).
You may still have to disable the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) or Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service to prevent a conflict between it and your third party firewall. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, scroll to appropriate service (ICF or Windows Firewall/ICS), right click and select Properties, select Disabled in the drop down menu and hit OK.

If you have an alternate firewall and still find yourself unconnectable after you forwarded your ports (or have no router) and attempted to configure the firewall, you may need to uninstall it, disabling never works! If you have no router and no firewall, your modem may be a router.
You may also want to turn off UPnP (found in Connection) and forward your ports manually, since some routers have flaky UPnP implementations that cause problems. Ensure your router/modem is NOT on this list!
Make sure you've used the Speed Guide and read the instructions carefully! Make absolutely sure you chose your UPLOAD speed in kilobits/s, not your download! Make sure you do not set too many upload slots OR connections per torrent. You should also try to never run more than 2-3 torrents. In general, an average 5mbit connection with 512kbit upload shouldn't have more than 90 connections per torrent, or more than 5 upload slots, especially if running more than one torrent. Experiment with these values depending on your connection speed. This is the most COMMON reason for torrents going slow, setting those options too high WILL make things slow down significantly! More connections does not mean faster speeds. Your best bet is to stick to the Speed Guide.
Make sure that TCPIP.SYS is properly patched if you've altered net.max_halfopen, and that net.max_halfopen is set lower than the value set in TCPIP.SYS! And ensure that it's still patched, because Microsoft overwrites it sometimes, forcing you to repatch.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
^ Good info, but like I said, my mate was on AOL and said it was fine :)

whats the seed/leech ratio of the file your
downloading?

erm, 5000/1400 or something on a few of them. I dont know how this works? Is the smaller the better?

SLK 350
More seeds = more people with complate file you're after = faster.

More leechers = less people with complete file = slower.

Makes no difference what ISP he's on Scutch, if he's set his client to a different port and he's got the right boxes ticked then it can make all the difference.

SLK 350
As their name suggests they use News servers to download binaries, different sport all together. Typically a lot quicker, but the good ones will cost you £5 a month to be a member of.

IMO save yourself all the bother by clicking this.

More effort involved (and cost) getting yourself all set up, but once you've tasted usenet, you won't go back to any other flavour of downloading.

Other than that, you're never going to get reliable and fast speeds using bit torrent unless you're a member of a closed and tracked group that bans leechers and encourages minium 1:1 seeding, or you only download extremely popular files.

RE: Azureus. I use to use it all the time and found it ok :)

SLK 350
Ye Azureus is fine, except it likes to steal about 60mb of your RAM for it's own personal use, along with the javaw.exe process.

uTorrent is the best torrent client around IMO, completely unbloated, does what it says and with gusto, whilst maintaining a tiny footprint.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
that newsleecher looks good. Its $19.99 for a year. Or $2.99 a month. I dont mind paying that, but is it worth it? Are there a lot of files available to download? Same as torrent files etc? Not really up to speed on it all, but my mate says he's on it and newsgroups and he can download anything with it at great internet connection speeds.

Its this...

http://www.newsleecher.com/

and this www.newzbin.com
You need to log in to see full search results.
Looks good. Right?

Usenet is the daddy. It's where most of the bit torrent stuff came from. As long as your server has good retention, you'll never struggle to find what you're after :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Thanks for all the above info guys. Top stuff :)

Will look into it now and probably pay for that leecher software thing. Only £10 a year it seems.

Personally I've never found anything better than Newsbin Pro. One-off payment. I use usenetserver as my server @ $15 per month.

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
DO NOT USE AZEUSUS not only does it hog your memory its owned by the motion picture society of north america. dont take much to work out why its a bad idea to use that one. there are a few others aswell that they own

SLK 350
Oh and PeerGuardian is well advised on any P2P utilities like Torrent too. Very interesting seeing the company IP it filters out.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
DO NOT USE AZEUSUS not only does it hog your memory its owned by the motion picture society of north america. dont take much to work out why its a bad idea to use that one. there are a few others aswell that they own

dude.. your on crack or something ?

Usenetserver have just announced 101 day retention. I may move to their 3 month terms which is $39.95 as opposed to the $14.95 I currently pay per month.

I'm sure there are better services elsewhere, but in my experience I can recommend UNS (usenetserver) They've been maxing out my 10mb connection for 2 or more years (downloads c. 1.2Mb/s) and I can can count the downtime on...well....1 finger.

EDIT: not sure I've been on 10mb for 2 years, but you get my drift ;)

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Roy... f**k paying for it lol i'd rather have it for free and wait a couple of hours extra!

2004 1.2 Dynamique
LOL maybe, I tried setting it all up a couple of months ago but just got fucked off with it and cancelled my subsrciption and went back to torrent.

There was about 5 different things i had to buy, access to newsgroups then fuckin software to download stuff so i fucked it off

LOL maybe, I tried setting it all up a couple of months ago but just got f**ked off with it and cancelled my subsrciption and went back to torrent.

There was about 5 different things i had to buy, access to newsgroups then f**kin software to download stuff so i f**ked it off

LOL fair enough. A couple of small apps like WinRAR & QuickPAR are all that's needed beyond the newsreader sofware itself (which just the sam,e as having a torrent app) and then ther'es the cost of access to the server.

Fair enough it's not for everyone, but there is no doubt that it's far far far quicker, and you don't have to upload everything. Not that many people bother uploading after they've got the file, which is the reason torrent downloads suck, funnily enough.

SLK 350

dude.. your on crack or something ?

I think what he means is Azureus and uTorrent are owned by BitTorrent.Inc which is partially owned by the MPAA after monsieur Cohen decided to sell out.

He's right about it hogging memory though, too me Azureus is the Gamespy of the Torrent world, where as uTorrent is AllSeeingEye - less bloated, less useless functionale, less of a resource hog. The fact you can run it from an .exe (sub 200kb) with no install needed is marvellous too.

FOCUS ST 275
If you are going to go with news groups, i recomend you go for the unlimited one, i think the most i've had over it is way over 40GBb in a month, its easy as to use, fast and worth the $$ imo.
if you get newsleacher dont opt for the one with super search, go for the 2 years one for $25 (i think thats what it was) as the super search is rubish.

woke up today, oh lost is out set it up for DL, go for a shower and its finished by the time im done.

What you need alltogether.
Newsleacher programe ($25 for a year / 2 years)
Giganews account ($25 a month for unlimmited)
newsbin.com account (think its 12p a week) <---- where you get the links for the things u DL (like lost, 24, Sopranos, films, software.......)
winrar to extract the files (there compressed)
quickpar to fix files if they have gone a bit wrong when Dl ing.

thats about it.

Last edited:
  SLK 350
If you are going to go with news groups, i recomend you go for the unlimited one, i think the most i've had over it is way over 40GBb in a month, its easy as to use, fast and worth the $$ imo.
if you get newsleacher dont opt for the one with super search, go for the 2 years one for $25 (i think thats what it was) as the super search is rubish.

woke up today, oh lost is out set it up for DL, go for a shower and its finished by the time im done.

What you need alltogether.
Newsleacher programe ($25 for a year / 2 years)
Giganews account ($25 a month for unlimmited)
newsbin.com account (think its 12p a week)
winrar to extract the files
quickpar to fix files if they have gone a bit wrong when Dl ing.

thats about it.

Good post.

Why choose Newsleecher over Newsbinz Pro though out of interest?

2004 1.2 Dynamique
LOL maybe, I tried setting it all up a couple of months ago but just got f**ked off with it and cancelled my subsrciption and went back to torrent.

There was about 5 different things i had to buy, access to newsgroups then f**kin software to download stuff so i f**ked it off

LOL fair enough. A couple of small apps like WinRAR & QuickPAR are all that's needed beyond the newsreader sofware itself (which just the sam,e as having a torrent app) and then ther'es the cost of access to the server.

Fair enough it's not for everyone, but there is no doubt that it's far far far quicker, and you don't have to upload everything. Not that many people bother uploading after they've got the file, which is the reason torrent downloads suck, funnily enough.

Yea i paid for access to the server and everything, how much does the software cost to download then? I downloaded a free software but it was only a 1 hour trial or something daft which is why i got fucked off and left it lol