ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

shock absorbers

Renault Clio Sport172 mk2
Just a quick question to all. As any1s shocks started to leak around 23000 miles?? Because i went into renault last month to get my car looked at, they said they do a health check and they said that my front near shock has started to leak??? The most annoying thing is they are trying to say that its not under warranty for that and i have to pay for it, Wots that about???

Has anyone had the same problem??

The cars only 2 and Half years old. Ive spoke to people and they said its shud be a warranty job. My dad Rang up Renault UK and they even said it was a manufactures fault, but there still trying not to get me a new one.

It would be nice to hear some peoples opinions.

Chopper

Black 172
My rear shocker is leaking and my car has done 36,000 on an 03 plate, my car is an import so i wont have the same issues but i have heard that it is a common problem on clios

Megane225FF
lots of rear shocks leak.. its a lottery when they go - within 2 miles or 20000 miles.. take your pick

BMW 320d SE
This has come up a few times actually. My shock was leaking after 24000 miles. Renault UK and my local delaer have refused to replace under warranty, despite it being a 2004 car.
As others have said, the shocks are somewhat of a lottery. Good luck with your fight!

Black 182
Yeah mine was leaking, It then turned into a banging sound and then a thumping sound. Had to get it replaced in the end.

They should do them under warently if there leaking. Whichst there wear and tear they shouldn't fail as quick as they o. I've tried to get mine done under warently but there not leaking.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
My drivers side rear shock leaked after I had some Apex springs on. They wouldn't replace under warranty either. I was told they are 100% customer.

I upgraded to coilovers instead!

One of mine has started leaking some 5 years and 50,000 miles from new.

Just paid £10 for a replacement rear unit - get in!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
edde said:
Yep thats one option but its not realy fair on Renault or my dealership. I'm just paying up for some other new ones.
mmm....

Its not fair on Renault?

They're the guys putting less than adequate shocks in our 'pride and joy'.

I have an 03 plate 172 with 44k on the clock and have had front and rear shocks replaced all round. Both Fronts replaced and 1 rear within 2 yrs so were under the [import] warranty.

The other one bust a few weeks ago just before 3yr warranty expired. They were only covered for 2 yrs anyway, so had to shell out £80.

Had a Honda for 5yrs and 55k miles before the clio and never needed anything replacing other than oil and filters etc at services.

I agree with Rory182's point.

A little deception is not a bad thing if you're proving a point.

JMR Monaco172 said:
Its not fair on Renault?

They're the guys putting less than adequate shocks in our 'pride and joy'.

I have an 03 plate 172 with 44k on the clock and have had front and rear shocks replaced all round. Both Fronts replaced and 1 rear within 2 yrs so were under the [import] warranty.

The other one bust a few weeks ago just before 3yr warranty expired. They were only covered for 2 yrs anyway, so had to shell out £80.

Had a Honda for 5yrs and 55k miles before the clio and never needed anything replacing other than oil and filters etc at services.

A little deception is not a bad thing if you're proving a point.
Mine didn't start to fade till about 55k or so now at 68k they need changing. Mine have been very reliable they arn't desinged for the abuse (none stop track work) I've given them. Any shock which last that long in my hands I say is very good. there still drivable now though no problem another 100k probably but not for track work.

They are covered underwarently give Renault Uk a call and explain it to them. They arn't covered nder the normal warently but they are under the suitablity for sold googs act or something like that which states parts have to be suitable something which breaks that early isn't suitable so will be covered.

My parents have ownered a few Mercs and Toyotas in the past and had warently work done on them which make my Clio look perfect.

my dad has just spoke to renault uk, not sure if he gave them sum abuse ova the phone, but they are replacing them under the warrenty, get in. what a relief that i dnt have to pay for them.

The funniest thing tho is they were suppose to be fixing it today but they ordered the wrong part so i have a renault scenic for another day. well annoying i want my sport back so i can ruin boy racers.

I'd be still out trying to ruin them in the scenic.

Remember nothing goes and handles better than a hire car ;)

might try on the way to pick up the sport if they eva get it finished. had it five days. the scenics growing on me might swap it for my clio..... umm!!! yeah right!