ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shooting wide angle.....

White APE
Hi all,

Ive taken on a project at work with regards to doing some merchandising and creating plans for stores. The requires me to photograph individual metres of shelving/products. The problem im having as this is usually down an aisle where there is in general at max 1.2m width between each side so im having to shoot at 10mm to fit it in a single frame.

The feedback im getting is that the images are not sharp enough. How can i shoot at this width whilst keeping the images sharpe?

Im currently using a D90 with a sigma 10-20 lens. Is there anything i can do with my setup or is there a camera on the market sub £500 that could do this? Im going to see if i can wangle the company to buy something if needs be.

Cheers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the camera, it's the lens, but at 10mm you are always going to get a soft edge.

Shoot in aperture priority. Between f11-f13 for the sharpest edges according to some reviews.

Remote shutter/2 second delay and a tripod or rest it on the shelf opposite if possible.

White APE
Thanks Aaron. I was thinking that was the issue. Shooting that wide will always be soft. Have a meeting with the director tomorrow to discuss the role so shall see what he says.

See if you can get hold of an Ssamyang 8mm - very sharp from f5.6. Manual only, but not an issue when shooting static objects.

Plus, something like a 167degree field of vision on a crop sensor, around 180degrees on a FF (IIRC?) but you'd have to crop to remove the black circle on the latter.

If you have mirror lock-up on your camera, use that as well as the tripod/shelf and remote/timed shutter release.