ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

short shift linkage's ????

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Just be wary that fitting these 'can' result in more gearbox wear. The shorters shifting can bugger the syncro's.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I have a one on the mk1, works great, make sure you get the one with the 2 components, one that fits to the box itself and on for the lever in the car. for the full speedy gearchange experience :)

no idea on extra wear from that specifically, my gearboxes usually go bang anyway, lol!

FF Clio 182
On a car that is notorious for having a weak gearbox, it isn't such a good idea. As with a short shift you are smashing it into gear every time you change.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
for track orientated cars there is a hell of a lot more strain on the box for other reasons, I don't think a short shift will make a jot of difference to the longevity of the box

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
for track orientated cars there is a hell of a lot more strain on the box for other reasons, I don't think a short shift will make a jot of difference to the longevity of the box

I see what you're getting at mate, but they tend to wear synchros because of the shorter throw which allows less time for the input-output speeds to match.

On a track car, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it depends on just how much use & how much you try and send the stick through the dash board lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
oh I know the reasoning chap, its just a drop in the ocean on something like a track car, I've had a short shift on the turbo for 7 years and its not that that's blowing the boxes, believe me!lol!

Clio 172
If he isn't changing gear like a monkey on speed then the syncros should keep up and be fine

If you're repeatedly mashing through the gears then expect trouble. I rape mine through the gears with a ridiculously quick change and yet to have any problems