ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I add an oil breather (Filter)???

Should I add an oil breather??? I clean my 172's throttle body every 3,000km. It is easy to get dirty and I found that there are some oily dirt. I am thinking of having a breather filter thing.

But is there any problem with that fitted?

Clio 172 mk2
The purpose of oil breathers/catch cans is to remove oil fumes from the inlet which can get in the mixture and increase the risk of det at WOT.

TBH they're probably only worth fitting on a highly tuned engine.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I just replaced the breather pipe with a 1m long length of hose which now runs down the bulkhead and out under the car at the back of the subframe.
I replaced the inlet elbow with a silicone elbow without the breather inlet. This little lot cost me the princly sum of £21.54.

len_beach said:
I just replaced the breather pipe with a 1m long length of hose which now runs down the bulkhead and out under the car at the back of the subframe.
I replaced the inlet elbow with a silicone elbow without the breather inlet. This little lot cost me the princly sum of £21.54.

Have you add a filter at the end of the 1m hose?

Half stripped mk2 172
There is no need for a filter at the end of the pipe. Just cable tie it towards the ground and that's fine. As someone else said it just gets rid of fumes sono big deal.

Vince

Clio 172 mk2
Still don't see the point on an OE engine but I have seen this done before.

Make sure you keep the pipe away from any brake components though and away from the cat.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
len_beach said:

I paid 50 from hillpower...But i wanted to keep the breather...oouch. Be careful if you route the pipe down to the ground, and if you keep ur car in a garage i wouldn't advise doing this as it stinks!!!

clio 172 mk2
len_beach said:

Can you post a picture of your engine pls??