ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should I bother?

Renaultsport Clio 197
i'd like to get some car like a 172 maybe with a good engine and transmission, and strip it all ...
It would be new experience for me, I'd really like to have in the garage and work on it over the winter, maybe get it ready for the next summer.
it would strictly be a weekend toy and maybe get it to a few quarter-mile drags, as there are no tracks in my country so no track-days:(

Any other cars I should look out after instead of the clio?
possibly some small turboed car !? altough I do like the revs of the clio.

My plan is to strip it, keep it looking as stock as I can on the outside, get all the bits and bobs from k-tec and yozza I can (manifold, exhaust, cams, shortshifter etc) .I don't want ITB's or turbo as it's way too much cash at the moment.
It's better to save up gradually and just order it over the net :)

my budget is... hm..about 5000 euros MAX
So...can a nice 172 be found for that money ? ph1/ph2 ? or maybe a mk4 golf 1.8t if it can be tuned nicely.
Could a striped/tuned mk4 golf be relatively fast (in a straight line) ?

cheers
Trile :)

Renaultsport Clio 197
not a bad idea.
them saxos and gtis are fast.Cheaper then clios right?

Altough I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for parts and I don't know how tuned they can be.Internet and a credit-card is my only option

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
not a bad idea.
them saxos and gtis are fast.Cheaper then clios right?

Altough I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for parts and I don't know how tuned they can be.Internet and a credit-card is my only option

106 rallye/ gti are pretty quick, and yes they are in general cheaper then 172's.

C

Clio1.6Rxe

i would, just make sure you take pictures of all the complicated steps... or youll end up with a few nuts/ bolts left and you wont know where to put them :S

Renaultsport Clio 197
I wont be doing all the hard work (engine/wiring) all by myself as I am no mechanic :eek:, but with a few friends and some beer.Probably do the car first then drink...don't want to f/uk up something lol !

just have to open the classified section now and find something cheap ;)

Coupe/Defender V8
Dude i'm not being funny, but you said a Mk4 Golf in a straight line. I used to own a 300bhp 200sx S14a and that would be a car you could buy on your budget and with money also go round corners and brake!

It may not be small but would shift like a bat out of hell!

Renaultsport Clio 197
believe me that was my first (or 2nd ) thought.. a jap turbo...
I was even contemplating getting a civic and going JDM ..or even an AE86 :eek:

but there are none of those in my country and we can't import cars that were made before 2002 (it's the new law)...:S:eek: