ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show Your Home Theater

AB 182
New to the forum but just moved house and finished my cinema/gaming room.

cinemaroom_zps644f9953.jpg

Mini JCW
Looking at upgrading my receiver to one that accepts HDMI inputs and also that outputs HD sound.

So far it's looking like either a Denon 4520 or Arcam AVR380.

The Denon has much better connectivity, but the Arcam will undoubtedly produce better musical fidelity - however I do find the Arcam 280 a touch uninvolving when it comes to film effects.

The other consideration is the fact I don't need a 9 channel amp, but it seems all high end receivers are either 9 or 11 channel nowadays!

Specs of each receiver for those interested :

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/p...metheatre&subid=avreceivers&productid=avr4520

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,av-amplifiers,AVR380.htm

Or any other suggestions? Budget is £1000 to £1500, only needs to drive 7 channels (5.1 system but use the unused channels to bi-amp the fronts).

Mini JCW
Marantz SR7007?

Not a bad shout - not sold on the aesthetics entirely though, also what would a flagship amplifier offer me over this? I don't want to 'downgrade' from the 280 you see.

*Edit - also is Audyessy XT32 really that much more superior than MultEQ XT*?

Last edited:
  Mini JCW
So my VT65 suffers from judder when medium to quick pans are present, but it seems this is the normal telecine judder where as lesser sets would apparently 'blur' the detail. ISF calibration on January will hopefully lessen this issue.

Still looking at receivers and have narrowed it down to the following :

Pioneer SC-LX86
Denon 4520
Yamaha 2020 or 3020.

So far I think the Pioneer ticks all the boxes for me and can be had for around the £12 - 1300 mark. Only thing stopping me is the fact they can be a touch clinical in their presentation.

Looking at upgrading my receiver to one that accepts HDMI inputs and also that outputs HD sound.

So far it's looking like either a Denon 4520 or Arcam AVR380.

The Denon has much better connectivity, but the Arcam will undoubtedly produce better musical fidelity - however I do find the Arcam 280 a touch uninvolving when it comes to film effects.

The other consideration is the fact I don't need a 9 channel amp, but it seems all high end receivers are either 9 or 11 channel nowadays!

Specs of each receiver for those interested :

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/p...metheatre&subid=avreceivers&productid=avr4520

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,av-amplifiers,AVR380.htm

Or any other suggestions? Budget is £1000 to £1500, only needs to drive 7 channels (5.1 system but use the unused channels to bi-amp the fronts).

I would also look at Anthem.

Mini JCW
I would also look at Anthem.

The Anthem 510 has also piqued my interest I have to say - especially as the ARC room calibration system seems to be a step up even from Audyessy XT32 - let alone inferior Audyessy versions!

Also looking at upgrading my speakers. I've always been interested in XTZ speakers, specifically those using ribbon tweeters for producing even more detail - more research needed.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Bias lighting should really be soft white, 6500k and nothing else or it is doing more harm than good tbh. Unless you have it just for aesthetics.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Until all the equipment's in place it's not worth routing the wires.

Bring them all together in the middle of the TV, cable tie, then cable wrap them then hide that behind the TV stand, take you 5 mins :)
If the cables are long enough that is..

Mini JCW
Bring them all together in the middle of the TV, cable tie, then cable wrap them then hide that behind the TV stand, take you 5 mins :)
If the cables are long enough that is..

But my HDMI connections are going to increase, along with additional optical, so really not worth it. In 4 weeks it'll all be sorted :)

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Anyone have an experience in wires into a Brick wall?

I live in a detached house and we want tv on the wall along with 2 front and a centre speaker. Obviously I want all wires hidden but since I've only ever done it with plaster board houses previous I'm in the dark. Wires for rear and sides are already under the carpet.

I'm assuming channeling into the brick work with ducting? Any pointers would be great though. Thnakfully I only need 1 hdmi, power and kinect cable for main install, then it's just the speaker wires

clio 182 trophy
Our showroom Cinema Room is coming together little by little. Got the rest of the colour change LED lights working this week.

eqa3ebah.jpg
Looks proper quality that showroom! I have just bought a house and the loft is open plan with plenty of space. Might get grafting to be able to have something like this up there!:p

SQ5
Anyone have an experience in wires into a Brick wall?

I live in a detached house and we want tv on the wall along with 2 front and a centre speaker. Obviously I want all wires hidden but since I've only ever done it with plaster board houses previous I'm in the dark. Wires for rear and sides are already under the carpet.

I'm assuming channeling into the brick work with ducting? Any pointers would be great though. Thnakfully I only need 1 hdmi, power and kinect cable for main install, then it's just the speaker wires

Exactly that, but while wall will need to be skimmed afterwards ideally to get rid of any signs of it.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
  330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Exactly that, but while wall will need to be skimmed afterwards ideally to get rid of any signs of it.

Are there any options to have sockets at the bottom on wall instead of wires hanging out? Female wall mounted hdmi kind of thing.

Massive wall so we want to get it skimmed anyway as it'll be having wallpaper once all installed

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I know I said HDMI? I'm confused?!

wow, it was just a passing comment and this has gone much further than it was supposed to lol!

You said you cant tie them together because your HDMIs are going to increase, i said no they wont cause you will only ever have 1 going to the tv, you then said optical power etc etc which arent HDMIs like you first said!

Get it? Lets move on lol...

SQ5
Are there any options to have sockets at the bottom on wall instead of wires hanging out? Female wall mounted hdmi kind of thing.

Massive wall so we want to get it skimmed anyway as it'll be having wallpaper once all installed

You can but from experience they are a little flaky.

I'd personally put a double gang socket top and bottom and get a double gang brushed outlet and make sure it's lower than your cabinet. Put some trunking in too do you can always put extra cables in.

za8u7ety.jpg

y5e4u5a2.jpg

Mini JCW
Why will they increase? There will only ever be one going to the tv won't there?

As, seen as you're so interested, i'll be adding a Denon 3313 blu-ray player, and a Denon 4520 receiver. The new receiver will enable my PS3 and PS4 to be linked via HDMI, whereas the old Arcam only enables Optical audio connection and HDMI passthrough.

Any other issues?

Also heading to Richer Sounds Monday to view the VT65 they have on display to see if I notice the same 'issues' that I do with my set.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
You can but from experience they are a little flaky.

I'd personally put a double gang socket top and bottom and get a double gang brushed outlet and make sure it's lower than your cabinet. Put some trunking in too do you can always put extra cables in.

za8u7ety.jpg

y5e4u5a2.jpg

Cracking

Cheers chap

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
As, seen as you're so interested, i'll be adding a Denon 3313 blu-ray player, and a Denon 4520 receiver. The new receiver will enable my PS3 and PS4 to be linked via HDMI, whereas the old Arcam only enables Optical audio connection and HDMI passthrough.

Any other issues?

Also heading to Richer Sounds Monday to view the VT65 they have on display to see if I notice the same 'issues' that I do with my set.

Is there a question in there? Only problem i can see is that you have a PS3 aswell as a PS4! lol

And yeah dont get me started on TV issues! i have banding on my 55HX853 and it does my swede in.

Mini JCW
Is there a question in there? Only problem i can see is that you have a PS3 aswell as a PS4! lol

And yeah dont get me started on TV issues! i have banding on my 55HX853 and it does my swede in.

Try juddering and DFC during ANY motion. Lol. I seem to be susceptible to every type of inherent issue on every TV type.

VT65 can be a bit pony with 50hz motion. IFC on mid seems the best balance for me. Minimum for 24p content, as mid seems a bit too smooth for movies.

Oh, and dear lord. Wall mounted TVs irk me. Everyone mounts them WAY too high. You'd think they watch telly standing up. Centre of the display should be at eye height when sat on the sofa. Sore neck FTL. Winds me up when I visit someone's house, and their TV is on the ceiling!

Last edited:
  SQ5
VT65 can be a bit pony with 50hz motion. IFC on mid seems the best balance for me. Minimum for 24p content, as mid seems a bit too smooth for movies.

Oh, and dear lord. Wall mounted TVs irk me. Everyone mounts them WAY too high. You'd think they watch telly standing up. Centre of the display should be at eye height when sat on the sofa. Sore neck FTL. Winds me up when I visit someone's house, and their TV is on the ceiling!

The one I posted was our bedroom one, which always need some height due to the viewing position.

Eye height centre display is the only way!

4yrahyha.jpg

BG DCI
Anyone got some recommendations for a bit more of a budget home system? 4 speakers and a sub?

<£200?

It's not under £200 but that looks like a really good deal for a system like that,

What makes should I be looking at?

I'm by no means going to notice a huge sound quality difference but nothing that's going to be awful!

That looks good and I'm presuming pioneer is decent?