ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show Your Home Theater

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
11749430276_9fc2f532a6_b.jpg

Excuse the Doc McStuffins and the Minion. This is our new setup. January sales meant the Samsung 8000 series became affordable and after pining after one for so long we finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one. Size is 46" which is probably as big as we could go in our living room. The TV's actually the same size as our old 40" Samsung TV as it has nearly no bezel.

The problem we have now is that the little speakers used to be placed on top of the TV unit just overlapping the 40" TV's bezel which allowed for pretty good sounds (As good as a 2.1 system can sound). However, now with the new TV screen being ever so slightly wider it doesn't allow for the speakers to sit on top of the unit as it impacts upon the screen, the speakers have to go lower down within the unit. This really affects the sound quality. So the plan for today is to pop into the shops and see if I can get any good deals on a home theatre sounds system with speakers on stands that can go just to the side but slightly back from the TV.

Any suggestions? Something like this is what I'm after:

716PMyj%2BdDL._SL1500_.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The theatre system doesn't need to be Samsung. I just posted that image as an example of the sort of speakers I'm looking for (Not too in your face or bulky).

The eh only reason for the existing system is that it was free with our last Tv.

Mini JCW
How about a sound bar? Basically 2.1 and a slim one should be able to fit on top of the cabinet but not intrude on the screen. A lot come with a wireless subwoofer too.
DannyR - have you any experience or feedback on the Meridian EQ system? As it seems to be seen as vastly superior to even Audyssey XT32 system?

SQ5
How about a sound bar? Basically 2.1 and a slim one should be able to fit on top of the cabinet but not intrude on the screen. A lot come with a wireless subwoofer too.
DannyR - have you any experience or feedback on the Meridian EQ system? As it seems to be seen as vastly superior to even Audyssey XT32 system?

I haven't no, sorry!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Opted for an LG 5.1 home theatre system.

Will stick icky pics up when it's hooked up.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Have the new goodies hooked up (After a bit of a cable tidy up).

11759619426_b2de250920_b.jpg

First impressions are pretty good (Though only tested on normal HD channels and music channels, yet to try a Blu Ray). The 2 little speakers in the TV unit will be getting moved to the other side of the room in order to give us a proper surround sound effect. Think it compliments the look of the TV.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking for a setup for my bedroom. At the moment I'm looking for an amp and two speakers for the side of my TV. Im looking to spend £200- £300 on this.

I would like the option to add a sub and more speakers when I move out and put the system in my front room.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of potentially going for the pioneer posted a couple of pages back (£250) would I be able to get this and just use two of the 4 speakers and no sub to begin with?

Merc 270 CDI
Here is my very messy setup,

image_zpsb5fdbe62.jpg

image_zpsc14f6934.jpg

I work in VC so get to "acquire" some nice toys from time to time, screen is an old NEC 4020. There is a pioneer surround system which is getting on a bit but sounds really good, plus my old 360.

Have a new toy I need to repair and install,

image_zps2c731916.jpg

Onkyo NR808 but this has suffered from the HDMI board failing. Video works but there is no audio. Common fault. Will be installed in the living room for the XBone.

I wall mounted my TV last night. I decided against a neck breaking height, and it's on a swivel bracket allowing it to be flush to the wall or angled at 180.

Also picked up some MA BX2s and a MA BX Centre. Entry level kit (£420 for the 3 fronts), but a huge improvement over the Onkyo I had. Just need to decide if I want BX5s up front and move the BX2s to the rear, or get some more BX2s for the rear (replacing Onkyo).

12137443165_782a39f8cc_b.jpg

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
I wall mounted my TV last night. I decided against a neck breaking height, and it's on a swivel bracket allowing it to be flush to the wall or angled at 180.

Also picked up some MA BX2s and a MA BX Centre. Entry level kit (£420 for the 3 fronts), but a huge improvement over the Onkyo I had. Just need to decide if I want BX5s up front and move the BX2s to the rear, or get some more BX2s for the rear (replacing Onkyo).

See that on Instagram, love the colours in your living room

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Just saw your thread over on AVForums, trying to work out what do to in our new place and it's a similar layout to you with the tv area in a corner, and the sofas arranged in the same L shape. Only thing that's a bit different is the gap between the wall and fireplace is a big bigger and the smaller sofa is a bit further back.

Trying to find a solution whereby we don't need to use a corner unit like we have now, want a long bench style unit but needs to be deep enough to angle the tv enough so that the little sofa can still see at a decent angle.

Proving a little difficult as most units seem to be too shallow to get the angle we'd need, as much as we're averse to doing it might have to look at doing something similar with a moveable mount of some sorts.

In a perfect world I could to with a long bench unit that kicks out either a bit of a wedge or L shape at one end to sit the tv on.

See that on Instagram, love the colours in your living room

Just saw your thread over on AVForums, trying to work out what do to in our new place and it's a similar layout to you with the tv area in a corner, and the sofas arranged in the same L shape. Only thing that's a bit different is the gap between the wall and fireplace is a big bigger and the smaller sofa is a bit further back.

Trying to find a solution whereby we don't need to use a corner unit like we have now, want a long bench style unit but needs to be deep enough to angle the tv enough so that the little sofa can still see at a decent angle.

Proving a little difficult as most units seem to be too shallow to get the angle we'd need, as much as we're averse to doing it might have to look at doing something similar with a moveable mount of some sorts.

In a perfect world I could to with a long bench unit that kicks out either a bit of a wedge or L shape at one end to sit the tv on.

Well the bracket I used is currently £30 (down from £200) on Amazon.

There are three pivot points, giving enough room for movement.

12137711623_7c38731698_b.jpg

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, might look into it a bit more then. No idea how to put something like that up on a plasterboard wall, guessing find a stud (giggedy) and mount it into that.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Looks good C.J keep up the good work.

Decided to sell my Mordaunt Short 1XRs and replace them with Dali Zenzor 3s, I decided I need some updated speakers with a bit more depth.

Has anyone got any experience of CA minx speakers?

A shiny black one.
Just thought I'd pop up some info on something I've just installed. I did a little search and couldn't find any mention of this yet. Basically my amplifier is installed in a very snug space and gets very hot.

Pic
dysemuje.jpg

So I had little look through the interweb and found a fan setup that can be mounted to the tv cabinet and would monitor and adjust the temperature in the cubby hole where my amp sits.

I found this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZIR13Q/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Basically it's a mounting plate with 2x 120mm fans and fan controller with thermostat and power adapter.

Looks like this when installed.

ube6amur.jpg

So far doing a fantastic job at keeping things cool, it allows you to set a high temp where the fans will kick in until it drops to a low temp that is set.

Hope this is of some interest to someone.

The parts included in the one I bought can be purchased separately so it's probably possible to buy some bits like the mounting plate and fan controller from coolerguys, and other stuff needed elsewhere to do it a bit cheaper. The fan controller can accommodate 4 fans.

Last edited:
  SQ5
A customer has just installed one of these to his cabinet. One top and one bottom. Excellent bits of kit and for a good amount.

2014 Focus Titanium
Just had a custom built AV cabinet built by my friend's company, he said it needs 3 people to lift it! It's not solid oak but its very good quality stuff and should last as long as I could ever need it to! Chosen the handles now and it will be delivered next week!

12548449395_dc0156464d_b.jpg

New Av Cabinet by Alan D. Key, on Flickr

BG DCI
Quick question before I hide the cables tomorrow!

Have started this setup:

uploadfromtaptalk1392666207421.jpg

With a Pioneer 5.1 system running from the cupboard along with the xbox

But..

My partners TV, I have found out, does not have optical audio output. Ah.

I have my TV but its slightly smaller so is there anyway around this connecting it to my amp?

I have:

Xbox to Amp - HDMI

Amp to TV - HDMI

But I wanted the optical audio to go from amp to TV for the sound.

Can I do the same with a second HDMI?

Any suggestions would he great.

Thanks

Liam

2014 Focus Titanium
If your TV supports HDMI v1.4 then it will have an option in the settings for ARC (audio return channel). If it does, just one HDMI will do the job (providing your pioneer supports it too of course).

Other than that, does the TV have any other form of audio out such as Coax?

SQ5
The TV will only run stereo out on anything. You can extract stereo audio off of one of the scart inputs

BG DCI
Just buy a cheap freeview box that has HDMI and then go direct to the amp.

This will mean needing 2 HDMI's going to the TV though yes?

AMP = HDMI in XBOX and HDMI in Freeview

AMP - TV = XBOX HDMI out and Freeview HDMI out?

So the normal sound form the TV would then be on the airiel'd freeview...

the HDMI freeview and Xbox would run through the Amp and therefor suround sound?

Civic FN2 Track Car
Your amp has 4in 1out (hdmi) so it acts as a switch. You would go, xbox - hdmi - Amp, Freeview - hdmi - amp, amp - hdmi - tv

when you switch inputs on the amp it will switch the picture and sound, the tv will stay on the hdmi input eg input 1.