ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show Your Home Theater

2014 Focus Titanium
Power amp is a good idea!

I really like the speakers with the grills on. I think with the Quads they just look a bit classier.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Richer sounds pricematched the 50" VT65 for me @ £1469 delivered :approve:

Also, now have a space for the center speaker :

20131009_095404_zps5cec7529.jpg

Just need to sort an amp now to replace the Arcam 280!

Nice that :)
You just need to centre up the tv and hide them wires ;-)

quite a thick border around the tv?

Mini JCW
Nice that :)
You just need to centre up the tv and hide them wires ;-)

quite a thick border around the tv?

Cheers man.

TV's centered now, but being replaced by one of these tomorrow :

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...view-freesat-hd-and-voice-recognition/p425728

Wires were sorted, thought discovered today that the sub's constantly rumbling even with nothing playing through it :S. So new sub needed I think.

Currently watching Band of Brothers Blu-Ray with no sub and the Arcam not even setup correctly (doesn't have autosetup) - and it still sounds great!

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Good choice I have the 42" version. Looks decent, nice picture,

However, mine does seem to suffer some backlight bleed round the 4 corners mainly evident whilst in a dark room with a dark screen displayed on the set........? There's a lot of scope for adjustment with thee sets, it's better than it was but still evident IMO.

Mini JCW
Is it an LCD or Plasma set you have?

Check out the owners threads on AVforums for specific models - you'll get some ideal settings on there. Not got the brightness or contrast excessively high have you?

Can't wait to get some hours under the panel so I can get it ISF calibrated :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers man.

TV's centered now, but being replaced by one of these tomorrow :

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...view-freesat-hd-and-voice-recognition/p425728

Wires were sorted, thought discovered today that the sub's constantly rumbling even with nothing playing through it :S. So new sub needed I think.

Currently watching Band of Brothers Blu-Ray with no sub and the Arcam not even setup correctly (doesn't have autosetup) - and it still sounds great!

Not necessarily, it's a common problem with subs...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-stop-subwoofer-hum.htm

Mini JCW
Crap photo (will get a decent photo tomorrow)

1394377_10151686667257006_1465465979_n.jpg

The Arcam 280 seems to be coping fine for now, so going to use the unused 6 + 7 channels to bi-amp the fronts. Then keep an eye out for an Arcam 400 at a decent price (the Arcam sound is so smooth!).

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
tried it in a dark room with a dark screen yet? ;)

No getting away from it though, they do look awesome and the picture is generally ace

Mini JCW
I'd worry about tidying them cables some more ;) ;)

Pffft, when I get the rest of that hulking twin 4mm Vandamme cable. Plus all the TV cables WERE tidy before the new TV arrived.

Alsi VT65 black levels are so so close to, if not matching 9th gen Kuro levels! Happy, happy, happy.

Just need an Arcam AV receiver, Quad power amp, PS4 and i'm happy.

Nothing currently available with better blacks than the VT65 plasma. Possibly the ZT65 but then probably only in lit environments.

EDIT: did someone just say they are getting backlight bleed on a plasma?

Last edited:
  Mini JCW
Nothing currently available with better blacks than the VT65 plasma. Possibly the ZT65 but then probably only in lit environments.

For the extra 1k I couldn't justify the negligible improvement in black levels. This will last me 1 - 2 years until OLED 4k becomes justifiable (and stable). LED 4K isn't for me. The same inherent flaws as current LED tech (though Plasma's FAR from perfect).

VT65 and ZT65 have pretty much identical blacks in a dark room. The ZT65 filter and fancy glass are better in a lighter room only.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
tried it in a dark room with a dark screen yet? ;)

No getting away from it though, they do look awesome and the picture is generally ace

Ahhhhhhh! my bad i never realised yours is a Plasma, mine is a TX-L42ET61B (LED) hence the bleed then!

Mini JCW
Ahhhhhhh! my bad i never realised yours is a Plasma, mine is a TX-L42ET61B (LED) hence the bleed then!

Haha no worries. How are you finding it?

Bi-wired and bi-amped the fronts today (more clarity as a result) :

20131018_184813_zps20533974.jpg

Need some braiding to hide the blue cable and finish off now.

Also researching into a decent set of open back headphones for games / music / movies at night. Currently looking at Grado SR60ii - thoughts?

Biamping is for heroes.

You won't go wrong with Grado. Best open backs on the market. Not tried those exact ones though. I roll with SR80. Had them for donkey's years.

Sr60 are epic headphones, nothing touches a grasp in their price points IMO. Unless you go top end and consider electrostatic which are incredible but not to everyone's taste

Oh and you don't Biwire and bi amp. You do one or the other. Bi wiring is 2 sets of wife from one amp, bi amp is using two separate amps, one for hf and one for lf

2014 Focus Titanium
Sr60 are epic headphones, nothing touches a grasp in their price points IMO. Unless you go top end and consider electrostatic which are incredible but not to everyone's taste

Oh and you don't Biwire and bi amp. You do one or the other. Bi wiring is 2 sets of wife from one amp, bi amp is using two separate amps, one for hf and one for lf

By separate amps you mean separate channels though, as you don't need a physical extra amp, just two spare channels on your amp that you can assign for bi-amping. (Not trying to correct you, just clearing up for those who might not know). As far as I am aware also, both wires actually transmit the same full frequency rather than HF and LF, the crossover in the speaker does the job of not playing LF from the tweeter and HF from the woofer, or at least that's how it works on my Denon. The advantage of bi-amping is that you are getting a full channel's full power to each of the two sets of posts so the amp has better control. At least that's how I understand it!

Remember each channel is an individual amplifier in its own right. ;-)

oh and each channel or amp drives either hf or lf.

Anyway, biamping is for pussies. Triamping is where it's at, though you need 3 way speakers and suitable crossover for that.

Mini JCW
Anyway, biamping is for pussies. Triamping is where it's at, though you need 3 way speakers and suitable crossover for that.

Lol, behave.

Really happy with the Quad / Arcam combo right now, though i'm tempted to upgrade the 11L2s to some 23Ls in the future along with a hefty amp upgrade.

2014 Focus Titanium
Remember each channel is an individual amplifier in its own right. ;-)

oh and each channel or amp drives either hf or lf.

I know that each channel is its own separate amp but I didn't want people thing they needed to buy two separate amps!

And are you sure about each channel driving one or the other and not both? On my Denon I've assigned the zone 2 posts as bi-amps for my fronts but nowhere have I specified which posts are hf and lf.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I know that each channel is its own separate amp but I didn't want people thing they needed to buy two separate amps!

And are you sure about each channel driving one or the other and not both? On my Denon I've assigned the zone 2 posts as bi-amps for my fronts but nowhere have I specified which posts are hf and lf.

It's like you say in your post above. Both amps would send the same signals and the speakers do the work.

Nothing I have said mentions anything about the amp splitting the signal. The simple fact is they are only providing signal to hf or lf units, hence my comment about driving the hf or lf only. It cannot be driving units its not connected to! If this doesn't make sense to you then I suggest a back to basics of speaker design is in order.

2014 Focus Titanium
Nothing I have said mentions anything about the amp splitting the signal. The simple fact is they are only providing signal to hf or lf units, hence my comment about driving the hf or lf only. It cannot be driving units its not connected to! If this doesn't make sense to you then I suggest a back to basics of speaker design is in order.

Easy mate, don't get your knickers in a twist! I simply misunderstood what you were saying, it's no biggy.

Mini JCW
^ That looks great - nice job, how're you finding the Kuro? It STILL looks fresh even today!

Also, mentioned I was after a set of headphones for music / movies / gaming and was looking at Grado sr60ii - i've decided on these now :

http://www.whathifi.com/review/philips-fidelio-x1

900x900px-LL-31193cbe_PhilipsFidelioX11.jpeg

Going to run them off the Arcams headphone output for now, but thinking of eventually running them off a dedicated headphone amp running of the Arcams preout?

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Update, got hold of an oak unit finally really finishes it off nicely.

Before:

null_zps5d5e7c69.jpg

After:

null_zps327d2927.jpg
#

null_zpsb9d9c727.jpg

SQ5
So we've been moved in for 5 days so far and currently rocking this setup!

Just for now while we get everything decorated.

guzymy6u.jpg

Inferno 182 CUP
Here is mine .. The projector screen is a work in progress. Hence the ladder and wood for pelmet. One curtain is missing as its currently on an ironing board being turned up. But anyway .. I'll upload a pic of the projector finished tonight ..

7apa2evu.jpg

pygusybu.jpg

yradugez.jpg

yre4ena5.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Haha no worries. How are you finding it?

Bi-wired and bi-amped the fronts today (more clarity as a result) :

I will be very surprised if you have seen any improvement. Bi-wiring is a marketing gimmick that defies the law of physics, the superposition principle to be exact.