ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shunting at low rpm/speeds

Land Rover
I find that my Clio 182 takes effort to drive in traffic, in low gear and at low speeds, or on the over run going down hill, the car shunts unless you control it with the clutch.
At normal road speeds it is OK.
I read that these cars are not the easiest to drive in traffic but is this normal?
The car is not standard, it has a Janspeed exhaust plus an induction kit, and is remapped. It also has polybushed engine mounts including the stabiliser bar.
The remap was done on a rolling road and not just a generic download.
There is currently no CAT fitted but that will be going back on.
On my Clio 1.2 this shunting occurred when the stabiliser bar was knackered but this is the other way round.
Can anything be done to improve it, or is it a case of that’s how it is.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine does this ever so slightly and have solid engine mounts all round. Fitting an evol dogbone mount did seem to help.

I had a polybushed one before and it was slightly split, I'd check.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine sits at 1k. Was referring to the drive.
I seeee.
I might have different symptoms and I definitely don't need to control it downhill with the clutch. I presumed op meant more on gear changes where the car can 'lunge' slightly when lifting up the clutch. Almost like wrong gear.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The clio isn't particularly difficult in stop start traffic tbh, I forget all about the 'heavy clutch' once actually driving

Land Rover
So what might be the solution. Faulty MAF unit? Over run fuel cutoff not working?

The shunting can become quite bad if you don’t dip the clutch. I’ll give the company who set it up a call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So what might be the solution. Faulty MAF unit? Over run fuel cutoff not working?

The shunting can become quite bad if you don’t dip the clutch. I’ll give the company who set it up a call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.
What do you mean by shunting?

Land Rover
The car jerks as if you are pushing the gas pedal up and down.
The CAT is not fitted, l am not sure what has been done with the lambda sensor but the EML is not on.
I wonder if it may improve with the CAT refitted. I do have it.

Clio 172 2003
Hey there. My 172 was absolutely terrible with kangarooing.
Holding the gearstick I could feel the engine move backwards and forwards every time I'd put my foot down or took it off the gas. Fitted powerflex dogbone mount inserts - it improved lots.
Then I took it in for belts and dephaser (in the process it turned out the timing was out, but not sure whether this had anything to do with it) and also had all the mounts replaced with new Renault & Febi ones (apart from this one, which my mech forgot to put in: http://www.eurocarcare.net/gearbox_mountings/ecc7700795688-gearbox-mounting-left.html ) The result was absolutely amazing. The car is much smoother to pull away and responsive to gas pedal both on and off throtle. Only does some small jumps at very low speeds off throttle in first now.
I suggest you pay attention to your engine moving, and swap at least the dog-bone and top mount if you find that it is.

Land Rover
Thanks l will take a look at that.

I am sure it was fine after it was remapped earlier this year so something must have gone.

Nil presently.
I find that my Clio 182 takes effort to drive in traffic, in low gear and at low speeds, or on the over run going down hill, the car shunts unless you control it with the clutch.
At normal road speeds it is OK.
I read that these cars are not the easiest to drive in traffic but is this normal?
The car is not standard, it has a Janspeed exhaust plus an induction kit, and is remapped. It also has polybushed engine mounts including the stabiliser bar.
The remap was done on a rolling road and not just a generic download.
There is currently no CAT fitted but that will be going back on.
On my Clio 1.2 this shunting occurred when the stabiliser bar was knackered but this is the other way round.
Can anything be done to improve it, or is it a case of that’s how it is.

I remember it doing this when I owned it too, before anybody tampered with the mapping. When at low revs, with the clutch all the way out it would jolt along, I just presumed this was something all 182's did. After my ownership, it had a silly pops and bangs remap added, which was then removed by the owner you purchased it from.

Land Rover
OK that is interesting thank you.

I need to find out who mapped it, not had a chance yet, there’s no info with the car.
As soon as l find out l will update.

Land Rover
Remapped at RS Tuning.

But it doesn’t sound like the remap is the issue reading the post above.
I have booked it into a local garage on Friday to get it looked at.

Still very happy with the car. I’d expect some work on a 13 year old £2500 hot hatch that’s had a dozen owners.

So far l have cured the squeaking wipers, sorted the stereo and speakers, re aligned the headlamps, replaced a broken scuttle trim, and sundry other little jobs all for a total spend of under £100

2004 Racing Blue 182
Yep. Car mapped by RS Tuning. I also noticed it doing this, but also just assumed it was something all 182s did. I test drove a couple before this one and they all seemed to do it!

Sorry can’t help with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land Rover
Don’t worry, l will see if anything can be done but if not then l will just leave it.
I had a similar issue with my Ferrari and it was an inlet air leak between the MAF and manifold on one bank of cylinders.
Actually found the fault myself! A small air hose had come off a solenoid valve, not sure what it was for but it was on the inlet pipe work.
Access was almost impossible to refit it, eventually my friend’s 11 year old daughter managed to refit the hose she had very slim arms and could get to it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Don’t worry, l will see if anything can be done but if not then l will just leave it.
I had a similar issue with my Ferrari and it was an inlet air leak between the MAF and manifold on one bank of cylinders.
Actually found the fault myself! A small air hose had come off a solenoid valve, not sure what it was for but it was on the inlet pipe work.
Access was almost impossible to refit it, eventually my friend’s 11 year old daughter managed to refit the hose she had very slim arms and could get to it.
Worst I own a Ferrari post ever

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Whats the general idle like on the Clio, obviously it's around 1000 rpm but does it bounce all over the place or is it relatively steady.
182's aren't known for their amazing idle, but it can be running like a bag of s**t and people just think "oh thats normal, it sounds heavily cammed"

My idle (once warm) is about 800rpm and steady. For the first few minutes on startup it it is around 1000rpm though and is less steady until the engine warms up and settles.