ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sick car - fuel injector & dephaser rattle

The past 250 miles in my car haven't gone so well, as some of the time the engine worked on full power and sounded fine, however most of the time the engine management was coming on, the car sounded lumpy / not firing on all cylinders and has been down on power. Therefore I got it into a Renault garage today for diagnostics, as they do it locally for £20+VAT, hoping it would be a TDC sensor or magic lambda sensor fix. It came out saying misfiring on one of the cylinders and something else came up about a possible rattle. I still hoped it was wiring or something.

I agreed for them to do 30 mins more labour on it to diagnose the issue - 12v was getting to all injectors, but they said something about one of them being blocked / not functioning properly as it didn't have the same output reading as the other three (it had a reading of 4 bananas, sorry I don't know the units, where as the others said 17 or something). Therefore as it's a major thing, I've got that booked in for Friday. £112(+VAT) parts and labour and £24 for a re-clip.

They can hear a rattle from the dephaser pulley and fair do's to them, printed off a couple of diagrams, explained what it did and then reminded me that all belts need doing at the same time! Noooo. They gave me a figure of £688 to do it - it made my eyes water, it's probably standard expected pricing for a Renault garage. I've turned them down on that - I hope to get it to BTM for quite a bit cheaper as it's a Cup (I think Fred charges £465 for belts+dephaser).

My question is - as the rattling has only been noticed recently, is it considered "probably alright" to run it like this for hundreds more miles, avoiding full throttle and 5k+ revs where possible? Mind you, an oil change is due so maybe I should just bite the bullet and dust off my wallet.