ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sigma 70-300mm APO

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Been on the look out for one of these for a couple of weeks, 2nd hand ones have been going for approx £100 on ebay. Bought one yesterday from a UK seller for £72 brand new! good old ebay.

Think there are a few owners of this lens on here, is it any good?

Astra coupe
£109 on onestop-digital.com, you got a good deal there, let me know what you reckon to it as it'll be my next purchase.

Bus w**ker
I ordered mine last Monday from purelygadgets.co.uk and even though they say it will take 2-5 days to get it to me...I'm still waiting. And their customer service is s**t.

Think I'm going to cancel my order now anyway, if I can, and order from onestop-digital as that's less then what I paid, so thanks terribleclio.

Megane Mk4
It's a pretty good lense for the price, I paid £100 for mine at Jessops in August last year, I take mine everywhere where the camera goes. :)

DSC_6125.jpg

2072212075_4d330dd26b_b.jpg

1925466862_5e055ff377_b.jpg

A4 Avant
I had one on my 350d. I was impressed with it for the money! I paid more than double you ahve but it was nearly a 2 years ago!

The only one on my photobucket:

FCS3.jpg

Megane Mk4
^^ That close you can see your reflection in the eye of the cat :D

Was it licking it's lips too? :S

JJ has one for sale for £250 i think. You'll be lucky to get it for £150

Its now been sold, but as Clart says... you will be lucky to get one for £150! Plus i cant see it getting shots like the ones already posted.

Megane Mk4
^^ lol ..

I used to use a 35mm SLR camera without Auto Focus before my DSLR and used to manual focus all the time, my D40 has the AF switched off. :)

Revels Mum & Sister
IMO 8/10 the Auto focus will be far more accurate and quicker than Manual. Not worth losing a REALLY good shot because you were busy fiddling being a real photographer with manual focus. Times move on. There are times when manual focus is needed but not that often

Megane Mk4
IMO 8/10 the Auto focus will be far more accurate and quicker than Manual. Not worth losing a REALLY good shot because you were busy fiddling being a real photographer with manual focus. Times move on. There are times when manual focus is needed but not that often

for a fast moving subject, manual focus is a pain in the ass.
I took 2300 shots at world renault series in 2007 (over both saturday and sunday), 990 of those were the owners laps and 'winners' laps.

In total I deleted 600 out of the whole 2300 as they were either blur, too far away or wrong setting.. Not bad for manual work I'd say ;)

Its now been sold, but as Clart says... you will be lucky to get one for £150! Plus i cant see it getting shots like the ones already posted.
why not? It has better optics than the 70-300. Should be a very very capable lens

Its very poor in any light other than sunlight, its low light capabilities are way off the VR Nikon equivalents. Images are not very sharp, it struggles to auto focus, and even though I enjoyed using it, when I looked back at the images I took, the Nikon 55-200 VR pics were so much better.

I have switched back to a Nikon lens now, much happier with the results, and its a quicker lens, not by much mind. Also the Nikon is far better is low light, the VR works so much better than the Sigma OS.

This is just my experience, but my views are shared by a fair few members on flickr.

A4 Avant
I agree that some nikon lenses are much better, but I don't know of an equivalent lense to the Sigma for the same price that performs as well.

For the price, the limitations are far outweighed in my eyes.

Revels Mum & Sister
for a fast moving subject, manual focus is a pain in the ass.
I took 2300 shots at world renault series in 2007 (over both saturday and sunday), 990 of those were the owners laps and 'winners' laps.

In total I deleted 600 out of the whole 2300 as they were either blur, too far away or wrong setting.. Not bad for manual work I'd say ;)

Only would have deleted 100 if it was auto focus ;)

I see your point but id rather focus on the subject at hand rather than worrying about it focussing.

I agree that some nikon lenses are much better, but I don't know of an equivalent lense to the Sigma for the same price that performs as well.

For the price, the limitations are far outweighed in my eyes.

The 18-200 Nikon VR is a much better lens, and IMO is well worth the extra expense over the Sigma. Its costs around £120 more, but money that is well worth saving up for!!!

Megane Mk4

Only would have deleted 100 if it was auto focus ;)

I see your point but id rather focus on the subject at hand rather than worrying about it focussing.
Some people do find it easier to use AF, I don't begrudge anyone for using it, I personally don't though.

Personal choice tbh, everyones different :approve:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
lens was delivered today, i'm not impressed. the focus ring is so notchy in manual focus, its practically unusable. bollox

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
no idea mate? it works fine when auto focusing, but manual focus is impossible cos the focus ring is getting stuck on something. i think its goosed.

Sigma aren't known for great quality control, I would get it sent back tbh, shouldn't be like that. iirc the manual focus ring wasn't amazing but was certainly perfectly useable on my 70-300.