ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Broadband - Xbox Live

Lee

BMW M2C
I was just having a quick read on here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

It seems a bit of a mixed bag as to how well Xbox live works on Sky broadband, if at all.

Anyone here got any experience of using their 360 online with Sky?

I was going to go with the 16mb package, but I'm not sure I trust it, or like the fact I can't mess about with the router and it's settings as much as I'd like to.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
In case you were wondering Lee and wanted an alternative, it works fine with Orange Broadband.

I'm with sky and the settings on the router aren't too restrictive. You can change everything bar connection to the ISP details. If you're that desperate to change all the settings there is a way to obtain the username and password for your connection, then you can use your own router.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm with sky and the settings on the router aren't too restrictive. You can change everything bar connection to the ISP details. If you're that desperate to change all the settings there is a way to obtain the username and password for your connection, then you can use your own router.

I've already made a not of how to do all that ready....should I feel the need to change.

The router they supply is just a newer version of the one I have anyway so that's all good.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Change the firmware and have total control maybe? Or, is this an actual ISP-level service problem?

I use the 8mb MID package with Sky broadband and never have any problems using XBox Live on the 360. Is just the same as BT who I was with previously.

Tim

Lee

BMW M2C
Change the firmware and have total control maybe? Or, is this an actual ISP-level service problem?

You aren't supposed to do that, and they do make it harder for the novice to do, but it's not actually hard at all. Looking into it I'll not need to worry, you can access everything you need to.

They do state you can't change to a different router, so to prevent that they hide the Username and Password for your ADSL login, which is easy to extract, to prevent you using a router of your choice.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've got it, works fine. be warned though, i was told i could received 8mb, they had to throttle it down to 4 because i was getting so many errors on the line.

Then I was told by a technician i could downgrade to the mid package, so i rang customer services they told me i was locked in for 12 months. do get unlimited downloads, but thats not why i went for the max package.

VW ....
^surely if your getting so many errors on the line ,that's not your problem ,therefore even though you are in a 12mth contract they should still be more than obliging to downgrade you if you so wish ? but knowing the contract there is probably fine print somewhere .

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
trust me mate i've tried everything. They say you are paying for the unlimited downloads, not the line speed, which cannot be guaranteed. The mid package is 36gb download limit which i'd never use anyway

Once the contract is entered into it cannot be changed unless you pay their ridiculous "admin" fee.

I did get an extra free router (which i sold on here) and 3 months line rental fee, so its not all bad.

VW ....
ah well,that softened the blow a wee bit then .

12mths will soon pass ,ISP contracts are like mobile phones,once your coming to the end of your contract you'll find you'll prob be moving anyways as there will be better deals about in this day & age .