ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Broadband

Have just ordered SKY Broadband and received delivery of my sky branded netgear router.

Does anyone know the user name and password to get into the router setup when connecting to 192.168.0.1 ?

Normally netgear uses username=admin, password=password, but this doesn't work?

car? need a license 1st!
Let me know how the connection works out, because i'm looking into changing my isp - and getting a package deal TV/Phone/Net..

At the moment, Sky and Virgin seem to have some good offers on and it would be nice to see what people think of thier services.

Cheers

Ford Fiesta
i get you, use the admin and sky then the password change is in there.

Surely sky assign different log ons per router, otherwise anyone with sky routers could access each others?

Let me know how the connection works out, because i'm looking into changing my isp - and getting a package deal TV/Phone/Net..

At the moment, Sky and Virgin seem to have some good offers on and it would be nice to see what people think of thier services.

Cheers

So far I have been very happy with the service. Just swapped my sky router for a new dg834n range max next. :)

500bhp Scoob
I think the routers have WPA activated straight away, I'm not 100% on that thou as I don't touch that side of things just yet.

I know there was a WPA protected wireless network where I used to live with the SSID of SKY20201, so I'm going on that assumption as alot of people change the SSID to something personal as such, like mine "HomeWireless" or they don't broadcast it at all.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm trying to decide between remaining with Virgin Media or switching to Sky for TV and broadband. My VM net connection is fast and never drops in speed, how consistent is the Sky BB connection and does is achieve full 16mb p/second speed?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
depends. I'm paying for the max package, "upto 16 meg" in reality i can only get a reliable 4mb.

VW ....
^agree ,getting average 4.5mb ,still good for a tenner a month compared to other ISP's .... wonder if it's worth complaining

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've tried. you are paying for "upto 16mb" even though they can't provide the "max" package. You're also paying for the unlimited downloads. Wish i'd gone for the mid package now cos thats all i can receive speedwise

VW ....
hairy muff .... you would prob end only getting 2mb with the mid range(8mb?) ,can't win.

for the money it's still one of the best for value .

VaVa
I'm on the mid, £5 month and getting a steady 590 kbps when dowloading from newsgroups. Not bad for a fiver, but the 40GB limit is proving to be somewhat restrictive!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Gotta say telewest has been excellent for me.. virtually no down time and consistent 10mb connection.. always get 1100+ KB/s from newsgroups..

Ford Fiesta

Cheers

So far I have been very happy with the service. Just swapped my sky router for a new dg834n range max next. :)

They come WPA set up from the box with a key to enter.

How have you changed your router I was told and have read on the net that you can only use the sky routers. I had a good belkin router that is now sat in a box because aving to use the sky one.

On a side note I have had to un plug the router a couple of times, once when the connection speed got stupidly slow and the other time was when I turned the PC on and it was saying there was no internet connection. The lights were all steady opn the router, unplugged it put it back on and it worked fine.

Sky said try the rest button on the back of the router next time.

Getting up to 3800Kb d/l. They said my line was only capable of 2000Kb though. They are sending at full speed. Not sure if this is going to cause issues....

Liam

I'm with sky and have occasional drop outs but thats due to my poor quality phone line. When its working its usually quick + cheap for what you get. Although my housemate phoned me this morning and the service is down in my area. I'd personally go for cable over ADSL as its usually more reliable and depending on location, faster. Very few people get the full 16mb

172 Cup
Although my housemate phoned me this morning and the service is down in my area.

Service: DSL and SureStream Access
Product: Business DSL Option 2
Started: 16/02/2007 00:58:00
Resolved: Active
Duration: 0d 11h 8m
Last Updated: 16/02/2007 11:04:20
Additional: None

FYI.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

They come WPA set up from the box with a key to enter.

How have you changed your router I was told and have read on the net that you can only use the sky routers. I had a good belkin router that is now sat in a box because aving to use the sky one.

On a side note I have had to un plug the router a couple of times, once when the connection speed got stupidly slow and the other time was when I turned the PC on and it was saying there was no internet connection. The lights were all steady opn the router, unplugged it put it back on and it worked fine.

Sky said try the rest button on the back of the router next time.

Getting up to 3800Kb d/l. They said my line was only capable of 2000Kb though. They are sending at full speed. Not sure if this is going to cause issues....

Liam

i had exactly the same thing. took me ages to get them to sort it. They will need to throttle your line speed down to a level which doesn't cause errors on the line. data is basically being sent too fast for the line to process it all. mine was reduced from 8 to 4 but at least it works without having to reboot the router 5 times a day.

Although my housemate phoned me this morning and the service is down in my area.

Service: DSL and SureStream Access
Product: Business DSL Option 2
Started: 16/02/2007 00:58:00
Resolved: Active
Duration: 0d 11h 8m
Last Updated: 16/02/2007 11:04:20
Additional: None

FYI.

Cheers, which site did u get that info off? Looked on samknows.com but doesn't list outages (unless I missed it)