ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Fibre... How slow is too slow?

I have Sky Fibre, recently upgraded 3 weeks ago. The Advertised speeds are up to 38MB.
The average speed ive been getting though is around 25-27mb, most of the time drops below 10mb. (Before the upgrade i was constantly hitting around 12-14mb)
Has anyone had experience of this and have managed to get a result from sky into getting better speeds or is it simply down to the quality of line from the exchange?

It will depend on how far your house is from the cabinet , the amount of people using fibre at your cab will also have an effect if they say up to 38 and your getting 28 that would not surprise me .

If your in a largely populated area , and lots of sky users on your cab then that will hit you too.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My download fluctuates (upload remains constant).

TBH i'm not bothered.

Ring them if you're disappointed.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
When I had plusnet fibre, I was getting round 78MB download of that's any comparison.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Are you doing speed tests over wifi?

I've found the sky provided router very flakey, ethernet I get a reliable 38ish, wifi it fluctuates between 20 and 30Mbps even without moving where I am.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
If you find out with your min access speed is then you should base it on that. I use to work for sky unfortunately

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I too have issue with this wifi speed. Wired is fine so the router is maybe not powerful enough? I'm a total newb with IT stuff but is there anything I can do to boost the wifi? I understand that I can only use that router, would love to upgrade it if poss though.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I wanted to return to Sky ideally, but their fibre offering is poor in comparison to Virgin. I ended up renewing with Virgin and had the broadband upped to 160MB down, 10MB up.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have Sky Fibre, recently upgraded 3 weeks ago. The Advertised speeds are up to 38MB.
The average speed ive been getting though is around 25-27mb, most of the time drops below 10mb. (Before the upgrade i was constantly hitting around 12-14mb)
Has anyone had experience of this and have managed to get a result from sky into getting better speeds or is it simply down to the quality of line from the exchange?
When you sign up to sky they give an estimated speed for your house. If you're constantly well below you can be refunded.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Which is the same fibre :wink:
however sky cap the max download at up to 38mbps and BT up to 76mbps. Dependent upon distance to the cab, copper/aluminium wiring. etc..

BT FTTH is up to 330 mbps if you are incredibly lucky to live in certain areas.

SQ5
however sky cap the max download at up to 38mbps and BT up to 76mbps. Dependent upon distance to the cab, copper/aluminium wiring. etc..

BT FTTH is up to 330 mbps if you are incredibly lucky to live in certain areas.

Max download on Sky is 78mbps.

Edit: looks like they've removed their unlimited Pro version??

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
yeah, far as i'm aware they removed the 78mbps option a fair few months ago!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Not read the part where every new broadband provider says your speed will fluctuate for the first month then?