ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky vs Virgin Media

Renault Clio, 216 Tomcat
coming from a guy who works for sky and deoes know whats going on. virgin decided they ddint want to renew the contract with ourselve and also.. virgin is still ntl as ntl bought over virgin mobile and sir richard branson is letting them use the virgin trademark for the next 30 years as he also has a 11% stake in ntl now. arguement settled i presume..aand if you go to ntl/virgin wot do u expect they are sh**e. we supply more channels and also fone and b/b at a cheaper rate .. there advertising is sh**e as they dont include p[rice for their equiptment hire and things whereas we do tell u that.:rasp::rasp::rasp:

Renault Clio, 216 Tomcat
ohh and we werent asking for twice as much money either the price was to stay the same then last week posibly thurs i think actually it was lowered for them but they still refused to renew.

Astra coupe
shame sky fucked us around so much when we wanted it. A date was set for installation of sky + boxes. The guy that came out had been sent out to repair 2 boxes that we didn't have. Ok so we got a date rebooked and month offered free and they just didn't turn up. So we cancelled it and went back to ntl.

500bhp Scoob
I can't stand sky, and I work for them!!

Think it was very snidey what they did about the whole ring your cable provider to try and get them to keep sky basic channels (I believe they are being investigated for this by OFCOM)

I'll keep with my cable setup :)

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
Virgin media will be much better than Sky once they sort everything out, they've even told the customer service people that if customers ring up threatening to leave for Sky then they've been told to just go, they're that confident it's gonna be better. And for those moaning about sky one going, Virgin are making a rival channel that will have all the same programs.

172 ff
that would be a long time off if they were, telewest/ntl (virgin media) dont have the cash to retain everyone off the back of this complaint. they will have to pay it eventually.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I've heard Lost series 3 will be available to watch on Virgin Central. If there going to broadcast Lost I'm sure some of the other popular programs from sky will be broadcast. Sky are just scared of the competition and trying to make Virgin look bad. I used to work for Telewest (now Virgin Media) and nothings really changed that much other than the name.

The customers in ex NTL are generally not very happy with whats going on because NTL were s**t and I think they expected everything to suddenly change when the name changed to Virgin. If Sky want to throw there toys out of the pram because theres some serious competition let them. I'm pretty sure Virgin will come up with something in retaliation.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
What annoys me, is they have put the price up in January and lost channels at the start of March.

I appreciate that most people won't be too pissed off about the loss of Sky Sports News, but I am, it's one of the few channels that I watch (along with the music channels, Sky one and then E4 etc).

What annoys me is they have lost channels that are currently avalible on Freeview, which I think is a f**king joke when you're paying £25 p/month.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
that would be a long time off if they were, telewest/ntl (virgin media) dont have the cash to retain everyone off the back of this complaint. they will have to pay it eventually.

I really don't think they will, Sky are purposly asking for ridiculus money for basic channels and trying to blame Virgin in the media to give them a bad name. There not going to pay way over the market value and pass that on to the customer for basically one channel.

Not everyone can receive channel 5 but hey ho, life goes on and they manage to get on with their lives the best they can.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
But as soon as the Virgin brand was adopted there was a price increase across the full range of products, so I really don't see how they have an excuse for not paying it.

As I said in the other post, my bill went up £3 p/month, so if you take that as an average, with 4 million customers, that's a £12m increase in revenue p/month, which is why I'm so infuriated by this.

A4 Avant
Can you cancel your contract because the channel line up has changed from when you subscribed and so they aren't offering you the service you signed up to?

I got an email form Virgin slagging off Sky's decision to increase prices. I don't mind I'm with sky anyway!:rasp:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Can you cancel your contract because the channel line up has changed from when you subscribed and so they aren't offering you the service you signed up to?

I got an email form Virgin slagging off Sky's decision to increase prices. I don't mind I'm with sky anyway!:rasp:

I doubt it, I bet it will be covered in their terms and conditions that they can change channels without prior notice.

I'll be phoning them at some point to ask for a reduction in price though, I won't be holding my breath though.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
But as soon as the Virgin brand was adopted there was a price increase across the full range of products, so I really don't see how they have an excuse for not paying it.

As I said in the other post, my bill went up £3 p/month, so if you take that as an average, with 4 million customers, that's a £12m increase in revenue p/month, which is why I'm so infuriated by this.

I think it depends on the package you had and who you were with before (NTL or Telewest), most people I know didn't get any increase but thats in a telewest area. If you have a look on the website they are offering some really good deals on packages at the moment. You could probably save some $ if you switch to a different one.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Sky is so much cheaper than cable.It must be your locations that mean you have cable .I cant see another reason for it.
New customers get full sky package,broadband and there phone for £37 a month,it costs that just for the tv on cable

ian

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

I think it depends on the package you had and who you were with before (NTL or Telewest), most people I know didn't get any increase but thats in a telewest area. If you have a look on the website they are offering some really good deals on packages at the moment. You could probably save some $ if you switch to a different one.

I was in a telewest area, it all depended on the package you were on, we just have the TV (premium package?? - Everything but sports and movie), so that was why we got a price increase, but there was a book that came through, and there were price increases on everything but the top packages IIRC.

The reason we have cable is that we got it installed free, where as Sky wanted a fair bit to do it. Wouldn't have bothered getting anything if we had a roof top aerial, but we don't, so was the only way to get telly.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, 99% of Sky TV is dummed down garbage aimed at morons. The few things I do watch I can download and view without 25% advertising content.

The broadband is not the cheapest but mine has been near as damnit 100% reliable, I always acheive my allocated speed and it's unlimited to boot. The package moves up to 20 meg in June and 50 meg trials are under way.

Cable TV has been behind Sky for a while now but I think that will change. The new triple tuner HD box is an impressive bit of gear. On Demand viewing is going to be popular and is something technologically Sky are going to struggle with.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
thts gay, is it gona stay like this forever.

we were gettin a good deal cos we told ntl sky offered us better deal so they gave us s**t loads of free stuff. mintttt

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Sky is so much cheaper than cable.It must be your locations that mean you have cable .I cant see another reason for it.
New customers get full sky package,broadband and there phone for £37 a month,it costs that just for the tv on cable

ian

really my cable is £30 for phone, bband and tv.
If you have sky bband/ phone do u need to pay line rental to bt? cos thats another 12.99 a month.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Cant blame sky for cashing in :quiet:

550_sky_virgin_lost.jpg

550_sky_virgin_24.jpg

Mini Cooper S sport
Well I've experienced both, and NTL were s**t. My bill with them used to be £65 a month for TV, phone and broadband, and I think we had 8 meg at the time. NTL was slow and used to freeze a lot, and my e-mails were always down.

I now pay £25 a month to Sky for TV and 16 meg unlimited broadband, plus £10 line rental to BT with free evening and weekend calls. Not had a problem with any of the services so far and I love Sky!

Fiat Panda 100hp
Thats the only thing sky have got and go on about, lost and 24. But most people on here download it from newsgroups and then watch it in HD, so its no skin off my nose. Lost and 24 are nehind anyways on sky.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Never really watched Sky One to be honest, have a freeview box for the footie results on Sky Sports News on a Saturday afternoon, and now get The Discovery Channel so I'm still happy with my cable package...:)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I couldn't care less, who gives a s**t if you can't watch certain programs on sky one. Most people have probably been downloading them well before sky shows them anyway.

I'm well happy with my package and the deal I've got with Virgin.

4mb Broadband
land line
Mobile (200 minutes, 400 texts)
TV package with all sports and movies

all for £25 a month.

Virgin media will be much better than Sky once they sort everything out, they've even told the customer service people that if customers ring up threatening to leave for Sky then they've been told to just go, they're that confident it's gonna be better. And for those moaning about sky one going, Virgin are making a rival channel that will have all the same programs.

pmsl. wishful thinking.

Sky are the leaders, and always will be.

coming from a guy who works for sky and deoes know whats going on. virgin decided they ddint want to renew the contract with ourselve and also.. virgin is still ntl as ntl bought over virgin mobile and sir richard branson is letting them use the virgin trademark for the next 30 years as he also has a 11% stake in ntl now. arguement settled i presume..aand if you go to ntl/virgin wot do u expect they are sh**e. we supply more channels and also fone and b/b at a cheaper rate .. there advertising is sh**e as they dont include p[rice for their equiptment hire and things whereas we do tell u that.:rasp::rasp::rasp:

Sky BB may be cheaper but it's f**king pants, you don't get anywhere near the alleged 16mb, most my mates has been is 6mb as I've been trying to get the POS working properly all week. 50k downloads at worst too... TV is much better though...

... on another note are you on comission or something? lol

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3

pmsl. wishful thinking.

Sky are the leaders, and always will be.

We'll see.... I gurantee they will be better, an engineer from virgin came round to install my sisters set top box and gave us a a booklet of all the things that Virgin are gonna have, you'll be switching to Virgin.

500bhp Scoob
As I stated in the other thread about Sky,

Virgin are lucky as they basically have an easy way of transporting everything (all down the coax), VOD on sky will mean using the telephone line at present time, which is going to be slow, occupy the line etc etc.

Virgin will become a serious competitor to sky, and it'll be very close, mainly due to people going for the brand name, and their reputation in the past.

The reason sky have done the broadband package is because they were losing alot of customers because of telewest and NTL supplying the 3 products, whereas sky could only do the tv side of it.

This one will run and run...

Virgin Media Continues to Challenge Anti-Competitive Behaviour by Sky
Following Sky's withdrawal of its basic channels from Virgin Media's (NASDAQ: VMED) TV service, Virgin Media has formally advised Sky that it will pursue action in the high court if their carriage disputes are not resolved within 30 days. This comes on the heels of Sky's rejection of an offer by Virgin Media to have the matter resolved through legally binding arbitration by an independent expert.

Virgin Media is challenging the pay TV giant for its abuse of dominance.

The remedies sought will include supply of Sky's basic channels at a reasonable commercial rate, as well as fair payment for Sky's carriage of Virgin Media TV channels, such as Living and Bravo. Virgin Media will also seek damages if the dispute is not resolved.

Commenting on Virgin Media's position, CEO Steve Burch said: "We are not interested in prolonging this dispute any longer than necessary but we will not allow Virgin Media or our customers to be the victim of Sky's market power. In the interest of the consumer, we want these issues resolved quickly."

Virgin Media has chosen to publicise its actions today because, given ongoing media coverage of this issue, consumers have a right to understand more about the facts behind the headlines and what Virgin Media is doing to put things right. The numbers behind Sky's pricing proposals speak for themselves and reveal the extreme nature of their behaviour.

Historically, Sky and Virgin Media have each retailed the other's channels to their customers: Virgin Media TV channels, such as Living and Bravo, have been retailed by Sky to its customers; and Sky's basics channels have been retailed by Virgin Media to its customers.

In the past few months, Sky has demanded nearly double the price for its basic channels (whose popularity is declining), while forcing a dramatic cut in the price it pays for Virgin Media TV's channels (whose popularity is increasing). More specifically:

- In Virgin Media homes, the viewing share of Sky's basic channels has fallen by about 20 percent over the last three years. Despite this, Sky has demanded that Virgin Media pay nearly double the existing arrangement for retailing the channels. Sky has sought to increase the fees to about GBP48.5 million per year (including some GBP8 million for some ancillary services)

- In January, despite a 15 per cent per cent increase in the viewing share of Virgin Media TV's channels over the last three years in Sky homes, Sky forced Virgin Media to accept an 85 per cent reduction in the price it pays for the channels

- Even when adjusted for the Sky basic channels' marginally higher share of total viewership and its larger subscriber base, Sky is demanding an annual price per subscriber some 1700 percent higher than it pays for the Virgin Media TV channels

This gaping disparity in channel valuation is the hallmark of Sky's systematic abuse of dominance and their longer term objective of suppressing existing and emerging competition from other companies. Throughout both sets of negotiations, Virgin Media have proposed relatively small adjustments to the status quo (mostly in Sky's favour). Sky, by contrast, have consistently tried to use their market power to fundamentally change in their favour the dynamics of the pay TV market.

Sky's premium sports and movie channels are not part of this dispute and remain available to Virgin Media's customers.

Mini Cooper S sport
Sky BB may be cheaper but it's f**king pants, you don't get anywhere near the alleged 16mb, most my mates has been is 6mb as I've been trying to get the POS working properly all week. 50k downloads at worst too...

It's not pants, it's f**king great. We have about 14 megs connection speed - we checked and we know that for sure, and the best download speed we've had is 1.1 megs per second.

We found that our ethernet card was restricted to 10 megs, so we changed it to 100 and now have superfast speed. It's also FAR more reliable than NTL (Virgin) ever was, not had a single problem so far.

1 Series Coupe
I am fine with Virgin getting rid of Sky sports news and sky one... because i have got freeview built into my tv, and both channels are still avalible on freeview atm!