ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin media customers - What are you doing about the F1 this year ?

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
Been making enquires into this.

Couldn't give a toss about any other sport than f1 and currently a virgin media customer out of contact on the XXL Phone internet and TV at £70 a month
So that's super fast BB TV and the rest

Because I don't care for any other sports as a new customer and moving the phone line back is £10 one off charge, Unlimited phone,Unlimited internet and sky hd+ and sky f1 is £55 a month

Now, phone virgin media up and sky basically has virgin over the barrel to the tune that the only thing they can do is add ALL the spy sports channels and then downgrade my internet to 10mb to get close to the cost of sky.

I say close.... £78 quid a month! and that's not even HD sky sports and would lack the SKY go features that would be handy

Wow I hate sky. Going to have to go with them I think

Highly annoying.

Anyone else been looking into it ?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'll be watching BBC only. Same situation as you, I don't want the other sports channels and I'm not switching to Sky. If it had been available on its own for say £5 a month I'd have had it.

Clio 182 Cup
I am hoping to find someone streaming the Sky broadcasts on the web, i have heard rumours that the Sky races will be on the BBC website to watch. I dont know how much of this is true but we can hope.

I will not be getting sky sports to watch it every other week for a few weeks as I have no intrest in the sports channels other than F1.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
They won't be mate. I think that someone will be streaming it, jut need to find them!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I have been tempted to just add the Sky Sports package - I've been reading the Virgin Media forums and someone posted this yesterday which is interesting: -

"
I've been crunching the numbers and wanted to share the following with you. By way of context, I'm an XXL subscriber, avid F1 fan, but not really interested in any of the content that will be on Skysports with the exception of F1.

I believe Skysports can be added to a Virgin TV package on a 30 day basis. E.g. call up and get it added for a month, pay for a month, and then have the package taken away. That is the basis on which I've worked out the following.

It's possible to subscribe to the Skysports package on 4 occasions during the course of the year and miss live coverage of only 2 of the races (namely, the season opener on 18/03 in Australia and Canada on 10/06). To do this, you need to have packages running:

• 23/03 to 22/04;
  • 20/07 to 19/08;
  • 07/09 to 07/10; and
  • 26/10 to 25/11
For the total cost of £90 (4 x £22.50) you'll be able to watch 8 races which are exclusive to Sky (Malaysia, Bahrain, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, India and USA) as well as 4 races which will be shared with the BBC (China, Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Brazil). 6 races you will be able to watch on the BBC (Spain, Monaco, Europe, Britain, Belgium and Korea). 2 races you'll miss and have to find a friend or make do with extended highlights, namely Australia and Canada.

Price for each exclusive race works out at £11.25, or £7.50 if you include the races you'll get to see on Sky that will also be on the BBC, but I expect Sky's coverage will be pretty special.

Whilst your mileage may vary, and I'd far rather not be paying anything extra for the races in the first place, to my mind for £90 it isn't as bitter a pill to swallow as I thought it might be. Thoughts?

You only need to have the package for 30 days before you can cancel so the above could work out a cheaper way to actually have the F1 channel.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You have to pay for it and there will no doubt be an abundance of in your face graphics with stupid space ship noises as they enter and leave the screen.

Clio 182
Im doing my nut in over the whole thing as I dont have sky or virgin full stop as I never get the chance to really sit down and watch TV. So the cheapest I have found is basic sky with the HD package but its about £330 for the year! Just to watch F1 every other week! The other option is Sky go or whatever its called and just get it when needed and I think that worked out at £180 odd but still £180 to watch F1 on my laptop...

Been trying to get hold of a few old folk I worked with at Sky to see if they have any means of getting me a free sky go account as they get two accounts free IIRC.

I have sky but hate it after being a virgin customer. I could pay the extra for hd and get sky f1 but I refuse to give them anymore
Money and will stick with BBC coverage.