ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sleeping Dogs

1eight2
I'm in two minds to get this. Complimentary reviews but I got bored of SR3 and GTA IV in no time at all

Arse sorry mate, I assumed I was behind everyone else.

Not to worry, I don't think anyone is behind me lol.

I'm in two minds to get this. Complimentary reviews but I got bored of SR3 and GTA IV in no time at all

Scratch last post, purchased today from Tesco £24.47 thought it was a good deal!

Awesome deal! The more you play this, the better it gets imo.

The story is very involving.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yes. At first it's a bit meh, very arcade style GTA.

It's a great game and worth putting the hours in, but ultimately it really is a poor man's GTA. That's more a compliment for GTA than a diss for Sleeping Dogs though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nippy white cup
I just finished the main story..loved it tbh. Really got into the story especially towards the end and now I'll have a go at the rest of the achievements/locked boxes etc. I think my fav bit is the fighting which I think is spot on....sometimes I'll see the little red man symbol and give them a random battering lol

1eight2
I'm about 2 hours into it now and it's really picked up! The combat is awesome, just sliding across a bar. Knocking someone out. Stealing his knife then taking about 3 guys out with it is very fulfilling! Not to mention the interaction with objects. Driving seems abit meh and the characters are pretty cliche like GTA but story is pretty good so far.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Borrowed this off Seb the other day. I just can't get into it.

The driving mechanics are horrific and it just seems to be 'run/drive here and fight X/Y, then run/drive here and fight more of them'

Hmm.

Evo 5 RS
You're going in looking at it the wrong way. See for me I thought it was going to be s**t from day one. Purely because Just Cause 2 (same lads) is shocking for the reasons you stated. Like the driving mechanic etc. It's still a good laugh mind.

So when it was released I was pleasantly surprised to see they'd upped their game with this one. The hand to hand combat is fluent, the story is pretty enthralling for a same ol' street crime gig. And the car/bike chases are fun. If you're expecting dynamic physics and cutting edge visuals you've hyped yourself up before you even started playing it.

It's an exceptional game for many reasons, just not for ones that seem to be the high bar standard at the moment.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed it. It's just by no means perfect

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Borrowed this off Seb the other day. I just can't get into it.

The driving mechanics are horrific and it just seems to be 'run/drive here and fight X/Y, then run/drive here and fight more of them'

Hmm.

I thought the same mate, but if you don't look at it as a "brilliantly worked" game, it's a lot of fun. Like I say, it's a poor mans GTA but I've put over 30 hours into it to complete it 100% and thoroughly enjoyed it. The more you do, the more you unlock too.

It's a very high paced GTA clone, in essence. But a good one.

1.8 Civic EX
tbh I prefer it to GTAIV, because of it's pace and story line. It just works. GTA IV seemed to go on forever, I wasn't pulled in on the story, it just dragged, like a endless string of random missions that wasn't realy that fun.

tbh I prefer it to GTAIV, because of it's pace and story line. It just works. GTA IV seemed to go on forever, I wasn't pulled in on the story, it just dragged, like a endless string of random missions that wasn't realy that fun.

Definitely agree with that, they are almost opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to sandboxes -

GTA - Loads to do, pointless missions galore
SD - Not much to do, enthrawling story line

Golf GTi Mk2
How do you build 'face'? Is it just doing favours? I've completed all the missions from north point, now onto central and only have face level 2.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just keep doing the missions, favours and jobs and you will build it up quite easy.
I've only got to get the rest of Tran's cars now to finish the game (also need to replay a few missions to get all triad unlocks) plus a few other little bits and bobs.

1.8 Civic EX
Finished the main story last night. Those last few missions were simply epic.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole game. 46/50 achievments ain't bad for simply playing the game. The last four should be pretty simple to pick up, will hopefully have them done this evening.

clio mk 2 5 door
bought this last night. starting to really get into it, except i cant do one of the first missions where you have to beat up the first group of thugs and then the second lot have got knives. they just seem to batter me!! I like how many different cars there are though. quite a few real nice ones.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
bought this last night. starting to really get into it, except i cant do one of the first missions where you have to beat up the first group of thugs and then the second lot have got knives. they just seem to batter me!! I like how many different cars there are though. quite a few real nice ones.

The fighting gets much easier the further you go, especially when you unlock counter moves etc. from the martial arts clubs.

Also, when fighting guys with knives or weapons, make sure your focus is on them. You should try to get rid of those guys first, then pick up their weapon and go hells loose on the others. Or, simply get in a car and keep smashing into them all. You still get the rewards.

clio mk 2 5 door
The fighting gets much easier the further you go, especially when you unlock counter moves etc. from the martial arts clubs.

Also, when fighting guys with knives or weapons, make sure your focus is on them. You should try to get rid of those guys first, then pick up their weapon and go hells loose on the others. Or, simply get in a car and keep smashing into them all. You still get the rewards.

I will give that a go tonight cheers. when im using the counter attack (Y) it doesnt work and then i stand there for a few seconds unable to move.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I will give that a go tonight cheers. when im using the counter attack (Y) it doesnt work and then i stand there for a few seconds unable to move.

You need to press it at the right moment - when the enemy turns red. If you press before then, you're screwed. Hold LT/L2 to lock onto enemies.

clio mk 2 5 door
You need to press it at the right moment - when the enemy turns red. If you press before then, you're screwed. Hold LT/L2 to lock onto enemies.

Cheers mate. just need to get passed that bit. seriously annoying now

1.8 Civic EX

I didn't do that for whole game. Tried it once when the prompts came up and I found it made it much harder.

Whatever you do, do not button mash, it just doesn't work. For a mojority (those without weapons) you can just press B to grapple them, then move over to a flashing red thing/wall and smash them into it.

clio mk 2 5 door
I didn't do that for whole game. Tried it once when the prompts came up and I found it made it much harder.

Whatever you do, do not button mash, it just doesn't work. For a mojority (those without weapons) you can just press B to grapple them, then move over to a flashing red thing/wall and smash them into it.

yea i tried that last night by locking onto them but didnt really help. trouble is to be able to grapple them ive got to kick the s**t out of them first. will try again tonight, third time lucky eh ;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Dont bother locking on. And you should be able to grapple straight away without beating anyone first. There are some thugs that can't be grappled though at all. They just need beating the f**k out of!

clio mk 2 5 door
graphics are not the best to be honest but that really doesnt bother me when im playing it. some of the features are brilliant and theres always lots of sub missions or tasks you can do.

Got this yesterday (thanks Leeds_182), and played last night. I like it.

• The fighting seems very easy, so I hope it gets harder later.
  • Driving cars/bikes is difficult.
  • The mini missions are good too.

As soon as I started playing, the Mrs said "Crap graphics" - They aren't great, but the gameplay/story is enjoyable.

M2 Comp
Well picked this up about a week ago and have to say very impressed. Very underrated!

Anyone going to try and get all of the trophies/achievements? They all seem easy enough...