ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight temperature issue

Just recently, the past couple of mornings when it's been -1 and colder, the car has been getting up to temperature at a normal speed but stopping 1 bar short of full temperature. It then fluctuates between that and full temp before getting up to full temperature a while after and seeming to stay there.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the cold temperature, or with me having my heaters on full and it thinks it's not getting up to temperature for some reason.

Are there any reasons for this other than the thermostat being on it's way out?

My journeys in the afternoon seem to be normal when temperature is 0 and above.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Heaters being on full drain heat unless your going some.

I have my heater on cold until it gets full up to temp as It makes the car warm quicker.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
As above heaters on full blast do reduce the gauge for a bit i wouldnt worry m8

Cheers folks. Did the same again this morning - seemed to warm up a little slower than usual (it was -3 here though), then warmed up fully to temperature. Then, at the traffic lights, it dropped to this (see photo) for a while and then went up to full temp and stayed there.

On the way home it was completely fine.
c2467ef14d3c75cc20718342db14e360.jpg

Cheers folks. Did the same again this morning - seemed to warm up a little slower than usual (it was -3 here though), then warmed up fully to temperature. Then, at the traffic lights, it dropped to this (see photo) for a while and then went up to full temp and stayed there.

On the way home it was completely fine.
c2467ef14d3c75cc20718342db14e360.jpg

Mines started to do exactly this since the really cold weather. Heat turned down until up to temp helped it

dan's cast offs.
wouldn't worry about it. could always plug cheap reader in and watch live data, the gauge is only there to keep the squisy thing behind the steering wheel happy:wink:

RB 182 FF
Definitely Thermostat.... I've just replaced mine, it was doing exactly what yours is, now mine runs dead middle as it used to... :up:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
a sign of thermostat is then temp drops when driving but car warms up when stationary as radiator isn't cooling.

RB 182 FF
I had -6 here the other day, got car up to temp with heaters on full and the gauge sat dead middle the whole time with the new stat, when moving and stationary.. My car has never done anything but stay dead centre for 3 years regardless of weather until the stat was defunked..

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah I'd guess at cold weather. When it's all warmed up it should be able to work on atleast fan one without loosing any temperature.

Clio 172
Your thermostat has a little rubber ring for sealing it when closed, over time it will perish a bit allowing coolant to circulate even when thermostat is closed. I had exactly the same. I replaced the thermostat and now all is well.

Good point, I may change it anyway if the problem persists.

This morning it was 5 degrees outside and warmed up fined and as it should.

dan's cast offs.
you'd have to fit it with no rubber at all for it to flow past even a noticeable amount of water.