ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slim Subwoofers

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Basically IMO the Clio speakers sound like tin foil wrapped round paper plates, maybe this is due to previous car being an Audi and having the luxury of Bose.

Anyway I want bass but dont want a dog kennel in the boot. Been doing some searching and there are some Slimline Subs for around £60, anyone got one? When I say I want bass I dont want the car to vibrate like ann summers best seller, I just want a subtle kinda bass and these seem ideal and perfect size to hide under seat or in the corner of the boot (the Audi one was in the parcel shelf).

Cheers

Kris

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I had a kenwood underseat sub, lasted about a week as it sounded shite, maybe there's better ones out there but I don't think you can match a decent sub and amp setup :)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Bugger, I was thinking about one of those under seat subs, but all the threads i've read don't rate them.

Was it this one you had? As it was one I was considering seeing as I have a Kenwood HU.
KENWOOD-KSC-SW01.jpg

£124.97 http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-ksc-sw01_p-25624.htm

Clio 172
I've fitted two 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf, you'd be amazed at the bass you get off them. Plus you still have the whole boot :approve:

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
This is what iv been looking at Lanzer. Will do a lot more searching and read reviews elsewhere as well.

41JPvLWlfVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This could also go in the corner of the boot and still have 90% of the boot.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
^^How much is that?

I'm in the same boat as you, I want better speakers and some more bass,
but I don't want to spend a fortune, carry around loads of weight in the boot or rattle my fillings out.

All the threads i've read have just confused me more.:S

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder why the Kenwood one is more expensive for lower wattage, paying for the name?

I literally have no clue about car speakers whatsoever, other than the clio has 13cm speakers.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
I wonder why the Kenwood one is more expensive for lower wattage, paying for the name?

I literally have no clue about car speakers whatsoever, other than the clio has 13cm speakers.

I guess it has something to do with the name haha and same 13cm speakers is all iv found out. Im thinking of replacing these and buying something on the lines of this sub should be around £150 all together along with a decent headunit I already have should sound good hopefully. Just need to read reviews see how good they are.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I even resorted to standing in Halfords today and staring at their wall of speakers.........it didn't help. LOL
As soon as I find some speakers that look good for the money, I find a thread one here saying they're sh*t.

Also I wouldn't have the first clue about how to fit any of it, do speakers have a universal clip like Head Units
or do you need a degree in electronics to fit them, I don't have a clue.

Polo + Micra
the build quality would be what you are paying for as lanzar isn't the best tbh

and i'm highly dubious of there power ratings

imho for £50 these are decent

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
INFINITY-REFERENCE-5020CS.jpg

I get there are 2 speakers, 2 tweaters but what are those square things?

I know these are total newb questions, but as ive said before I don't have the first clue.

Polo + Micra
They are crossovers for the tweeters, so you don't blow them to smithereens with bass :)

well it's for both speakers it is both a high pass filter for the tweeters and a low pass filter for the woofers

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right, they sound like a good idea then, tbh for £50quid I might give them a go.

I'll have to pay someone to fit all of that though, or i'll probably end up frying the car........and myself.

R26
I've got a pioneer slim sub under my seat, it's better than nothing, but its still not 'that' good.
Its completely out of the way though and I don't see any negative affects of it,it's just not as great as what I'd hoped.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think my sub is a slim one, in the space its in it must be!

Anyway, I think its good if you want to listen to your music with a nice amount of bass but no good if you want to rattle windows etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't care what anyone says, a decent CD player and a set of good 6x9's are plenty. They sound great for small £££.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Jenic what make is it?
Are you using an amp or is the average aftermarket HU good enough to cope?

I've no idea, its standard bose stuff that comes with the cars if specced. Presume its built into the HU

The subs behind the drivers seat so i get a nice amount of bass but passengers have complained they get very little.

Ah right, they sound like a good idea then, tbh for £50quid I might give them a go.

I'll have to pay someone to fit all of that though, or i'll probably end up frying the car........and myself.

I know this started off as bass, but its developed into a general speaker thread soooo... You sound like the perfect customer for a set of these 'pioneer perfect fits' (not to be confused with the 'custom fits')

They are built specifically for the Clio meaning you simy unscrew the old ones and stick the new ones in, no need for extra wiring etc. I have the lesser 'custom fits' (£50 but a pain to fit even though they're designed for the Clio) and they sound much better than the standard ones no question. The 'perfect fits' are higher spec so should sound even better (£79.99 and as said, literally slot in) Also these are head unit driven so no need to mess around with amps.

Compared to standard the bass impressed me, but do remember at the end of the day it is just a set of 13cm components, it's not a 6x9 or a sub. These pioneer components are definitely for the person who wants a good increase in quality over standard for a really decent price. If you want to be chavvy, look else where.

For a bit more bass (but again were still talking 13cm stuff) putting the old woofers in the rear in place of the standard coaxials.

Pioneer TS-q131c iirc.

There's a fitting guide on dci net, I can grab it in the morning.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate that would be cool, and your right I just want some better speakers and a bit more bass,
tbh it's clarity of sound at a higher volume I want, as I might get a sub at a later date for more of a kick, but nothing chavtastic.

A straight speaker swap sounds right up my street!

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Amplify a decent set of components in the front.

then either put some speciifc mid-bass speakers in the rear mounts (with an amp)
or just get an all-in-one box. Easy enough to fit (and remove!) and gives you plenty of bass.

Golf GTD Mk7
I don't care what anyone says, a decent CD player and a set of good 6x9's are plenty. They sound great for small £££.

Completely agree Daniel. Subs are chavy, and make tuned sound rubbish imo. I prefer a crisp sounding bass, not something that just hums and makes that car sounds like it's vibrating at traffic lights.

Listerine & Poledo
If you go down the 6x9 route then at least you do keep more boot space.

You will need a nice, heavy shelf though, else all you have is a load of rattle and hum.

But Jonny's jake on subs may be from someone who's had a bad time with them. So long as you dont try to fill out 200w of headunit with 1000w of bass it can be fine, but there are plenty of nobbers out there who insist on trying to rattle the rivets out of their cars by filling their boot with cones, I'm sure they have their reasons but they do look like utter douchebags if they ever go near a built-up area

Noob question: what needs amplifying and what doesn't?

Amplify when RMS of speaker is higher than output of headunit? (though I'm aware headunits always quote max output)

Does amplifying just do loud or does it improve sound quality at normal listening levels?

Amplify when RMS of speaker is higher than output of headunit? (though I'm aware headunits always quote max output)

Does amplifying just do loud or does it improve sound quality at normal listening levels?

Listerine & Poledo
headunits will quote something like 4x50w, which is actually closer to 4x15w

To get the best from good components, an amp will be needed. If you have 60w RMS speakers then a 60w RMS amp will work well.

Sound quality will be dictated by-
-quality of speakers
-quality of headunit & source
-quality of amp.
-quality of fitting.

so you can just as good an effect with relatviely cheap kit, providing it's fitted really well, than you would if you poured hundreds and hundreds into top-notch kit but just slung it in any old how.

The RS clios have pretty decent standard kit to be fair, I've got by with just a new headunit and a humble-power sub tube in the boot.

cut off the low fdrequencies to the components (head units that have 'high pass filter') and let the sub take the rest. It may not shake the windows out but that's not what I'm after.

Phase 2 172 Sport
If you want my opinion you will never beat a good quality sub woofer. Im the same boat and am looking at some quality bass not just noise.

I want some boot space so dont want a " dog kennel " as previously described but you cannot beat a JL Audio 8" subwoofer with a good quality amplifier with the use of decent cables. Yes it will come in a box but about half the size of a 12" sub box. I already have upgraded front mid's and tweets which do sound alot better than standard but it needs some more depth.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
I dont want to chop away at the parcelshelf so thats why I'm after a slim sub as said in OP I dont want the car to vibrate just a nice bass for me the car falls apart as standard dont need some 50" pimp my ride sh*te. Im also thinking of upgarding front and back speakers.

Cheers for some advice and opinions etc.

Why dont Renault do bose?! :dapprove: barsteward super deutchland (sp)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont want to chop away at the parcelshelf so thats why I'm after a slim sub as said in OP I dont want the car to vibrate just a nice bass for me the car falls apart as standard dont need some 50" pimp my ride sh*te. Im also thinking of upgarding front and back speakers.

Cheers for some advice and opinions etc.

Why dont Renault do bose?! :dapprove: barsteward super deutchland (sp)

Make a stealth shelf.

Listerine & Poledo
sheet of ply
chicken wire
Anthracite carpet / "alcantara"
a couple of cable management clips.
quick-release connectors for the HU leads at the shelf end.
Heavy duty hangers... and maybe boot-lid struts

Voila, easy-out stealth shelf.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Kris you fool. Get some 17cm components. Decent ones like JL Audio. Amp for them hidden under the passenger/drivers seat.

They will need to have MDF baffles made for them so they actually seal proper to the doorskin, and then some dynamat chucken the back skin and front of the door. Robert's your mother's brother. Will sound loads better than standard.

As has been said, if that's not enough, then get some 8" mid drivers hiden away in the rear quarters. Plent enough, and keep all your boot