ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

slipping gear/cluth etc.. please respond :(

J03

MX5 1.8
i dont really know what the problem is but changing up gear seems to be awful at the minute.. when i press hard on the acelerator and changing gear quick, the revs seem to lag.. almost as if its finding it hard to engage in next gear. now recently i can feel about mid revs my the gear am in seems to be slipping or something.. i can hear the revs geting a tiny bit higher at some points in acceleration and then the revs drop.. if this makes sense.. as if am pressing my clutch really liglhtly and it begins to dis engage... it all hapens about a second... any know what it could be its really anoying, please please please am not very happy... :( :( :( thanks joe

Have you been flat shifting?

easy clutch test is get the car up into top gear near max torque and full throttle and it will either slip or not.

J03

MX5 1.8
Have you been flat shifting?

easy clutch test is get the car up into top gear near max torque and full throttle and it will either slip or not.

whats flat shifing mate?

what as in get to 5th and try and get 100+mph out?

J03

MX5 1.8
whats flat shifing mate?

what as in get to 5th and try and get 100+mph out?

changing gear whilst keeping your foot flat down on the throttle.

not really sure tbh i wouldnt say keeping my floor planted whilst shifting but i do press on the throttle as soon as the gear is engaged... i need help the cars driving me crazy..

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Do you know what a slipping clutch feels like?

The engine revs will build but the car will not accerlate in time with the revs. Clutches normaly dont completly fail they just start to slip and get worse as they wear.

If it is slipping you need to get it changed ASAP to avoid any further damage.

J03

MX5 1.8

The engine revs will build but the car will not accerlate in time with the revs. Clutches normaly dont completly fail they just start to slip and get worse as they wear.

thats exactly what it feels like in some instances... :S the revs then drop down and match with the acceleration if i lift my foot of the throttle..

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

thats exactly what it feels like in some instances... :S the revs then drop down and match with the acceleration if i lift my foot of the throttle..

Sounds like its slipping then. Take it to a garage and get it looked at.

J03

MX5 1.8

Sounds like its slipping then. Take it to a garage and get it looked at.

cheers dude, am just hoping, hoping i would just need a new clutch cable.. cars only knocking onto 40k nearly

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yea if you excelerate hard then the revs will rise but the speed wont. if you excellerate normally it might not happen

J03

MX5 1.8
yea if you excelerate hard then the revs will rise but the speed wont. if you excellerate normally it might not happen

yeah realise this am driving more 'sensibly' since this is happening... i was always concerned about the clutch since i got the car.. it feels wierd tbh but i dont know if thats just renault clios...

but thanks for the response guys i really appreciate it :)