ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slow Broadband - Virgin Media

Skoda Fabia vRS
currently we are on L package which should be upto 4mb

at the moment its really slow, close to dial up id say, ok maybe not that bad, but this isnt a 4Mb service im getting

ive emailed customer support to ask them to look into it, but i doubt ill even get a reply

could anyone else on Virgin do an online speed test to compare

i did this and chose new york
http://whatismyip.com/speedtest/index.asp

i got 366kbps download and only 57kbps upload

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Virgin are shocking of late mate, the exchanges are overloaded with subscribers and virgin have no plans at the moment to upgrade them.

Im on 20mb and barely see above 6mb nowadays. I'll be moving in the new year

172 Race Car
ukaskew had the same problem with his i think he wasn't cable tho. not sure if its got any better. my new orange broadband was shite for about two weeks and then speeded up

Skoda Fabia vRS
it used to be really good, very fast and reliable, last few weeks its been terrible

172 Race Car
could be my bro hogging the bandwidth. He has 3 pc's 2 laptops, 2 xboxes a 360 and a wii all connected to his. 2 pc's downloading 24/7

Mazda MX5 1.8
agreed although mines only been the last week or so that its been rubbish

well im only on 2meg connection but in reality im only getting 1megs worth at the moment

Skoda Fabia vRS
magicly its suddenly a lot faster, but no doubt it will go slow again in 10 mins

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Using that test I got....

Download Speed: 5314 kbps (664.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 714 kbps (89.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Using this one...

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Download Speed: 16684 kbps (2085.5 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 636 kbps (79.5 KB/sec )

I'm on 20Mg Virgin Broadband & its flying here!!!

im on 10 with VM....usually quick as foook but tonight its like 56k!! im uploading pics at 7-9kbs whereas i usually get 60+!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
Using that test I got....

Download Speed: 5314 kbps (664.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 714 kbps (89.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Using this one...

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Download Speed: 16684 kbps (2085.5 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 636 kbps (79.5 KB/sec )

I'm on 20Mg Virgin Broadband & its flying here!!!

that feels more accurate, I was shocked how slow the value was on the other test..

Last edited:
  Skoda Fabia vRS
its all over the place, one min its really fast, then its crap

tried the above test

5189 download
363 upload

Fiesta ST
Don't get me started on Virgin ADSL!!! f**king awful service!! pings of 250ms if your lucky!!

Managed to get out of the 12 month contract and I'm changing providers!

ITB BG 182
if ya on the virgin cable BB then unplug ya modem for a minute with or without the pc on then plug back in, if ya have a router also do the same after the modem has come back to date.
Thats should help as thats what i do an if you phone CS for virgin thats all they will tell you to do.

M2 Competition
Girlfriends on virgin, its dead slow, worse than dial up. Im on virgin also, really fast, pages appear instantly.

Live a few streets away from each other... figure that one out :S

210286219.png

sure your not downloading anything fella... This is from London and im also VirginMedia 20mb.

STM comes in from 4pm till midnight.

Virgin know there is a problem with congestion and they seem to be doing nothing about it.

Speeds of 19000 kb/s are common during the early hours/day but I bet if you test again at 6pm tonight you'll see a massive reduction ;)

Clio Trophy 79/500
I'm on 20 meg Virgin the XL package, i'm in Colchester and the speed test results are shocking.

Most recent speed test

5429kbps D/L
735kbps U/L

I've never had over 10000kbps, i've tried ringing their customer service and emailing them and they are useless. Thinking of changing, but i've been on BT and they weren't fantastic either.

Tesla MP3 2021
These online speed tests are not accurate as people in the know will tell you on here. Try downloading from a newsgroup/private torrent tracker as that will give you a better idea of what speeds you are getting.

Skoda Fabia vRS
ive been emailing Virgin back and forth, done a few tests but most of them i get good speeds on

i seem to get a few hours of really poor speeds and then it all goes to normal, i seem to get the worse speeds though after 11pm when i would imagine a lot of people would be in bed, i wouldnt consider it a peak time

ph quick
ours is b****cks, peak times ie 6-11 at night its useless dial up pace, yes we live in a built up area but when we got it, it worked fine, since then its got slower and slower, the best download speed ive seen in the last month is 30kbs!

i keep getting massive differences (virgin10mb)..........newsgroups one minute im downloading at 900kb/s+ and then 10 mins later itl only do a max of 9kb/s, browsing is shat too......they must be traffic shaping in peak hours i rekon

A well built VW
265 upload and 198 upload and im on stand alone 2 mb package yet whne i try to download anything i get low speeds but have seen 198mbs at one point mid afternoon

White Sti Hatch
Think my rents ahve the XL package supposid 20Mb or somin and as of late like you all say it has been crap has been getting worse sonce virgin took over...

It's because, what they charge for 20Mb, is NOWHERE near enough to cover the bandwidth used if everyone gets 20Mb, 24/7. Even bandwidth in a London data center would be into the hundreds for a 20Mb commit.

It's also that their network couldn't cope, so they have to tarrfic shape it to all hell to get things even working slowly.

im on upto 8 meg with newnet (meant to be one of the best isp;s out there)

my line can get 5.5 meg, the above test shows this:

Download Speed: 147 kbps (18.4 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 381 kbps (47.6 KB/sec )

unbelievable!

ive just been downloading at over 950KB/sec for 20 mins or so.........then all of a sudden its down to a crawl and wont go above 100KB/sec........browsing is slower than 56k too..........virgins traffic shaping is w**k! something needs to be done

Skoda Fabia vRS
im glad its not just me

but, if nobody else complains like i did they wont think anyone has a problem

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
our connection has been unreliable at best recently, but what i find great is that the only way to check the net work status is online. so i need to bootleg wifi froma neiburgh on my psp to see whats going on, im in lanarkshire but get affected by network problems form allo ver the central belt and the borders its shocking, were on the XL package so i thoguh we'd be on atleast 4 meg, but ihave bever seen a download speed over 200kps on a file. and thos speed tests doen even breake 1 meg. 956dl 123ul? i mean come one WTF, and the TV doesnt work half the time either, nor the TV on demand. the only reliable thin is the bloody home phone.