ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small crash: outcome and next steps...

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
Hit a kerb pulling into a lay-by, slowing down from 60mph to about 30 as it was a nice long layby, was dark and snowy and didn't see the kerb, which was placed in the middle (??!) of the layby.

Front o/s tyre blew, and drivers seat airbag deployed. (nb, the airbag that's in the seat, not wheel)
No other airbags went off though.
RAC wouldn't touch it because of the airbags and said they would recover it using lo-loader but would claim off my insurance (despite having recovery on my breakdown policy)
So drove it home, risky I know, but only 5 miles, all was fine. On a side note, my left wrist is hurting, right shoulder is painful, as is back from airbag deployment

But now I need a new tyre, wheels balancing I imagine.
New airbag and seat (?) and airbag computer needs resetting (all according to RAC woman) She reckoned up to a grand (!!)

So my questions for you lot are:

Is the above repair list correct?
Does it have to be Renault that reset the airbag computer?
And can I get a seat and airbag from a scrappy or someone breaking their clio??
What is a realistic total price?

Many thanks in advance, hope everyone's had a good xmas! (Or a better one than me lol)

Last edited:
  E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Source another seat and wheel, i would live with airbag light personally unless you want to throw £££'s at it.

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
Doesn't need a new wheel, that airbag didn't go off for some strange reason.

...Fail thought you meant steering wheel, am v.tired...

I can live with the airbag light but won't it fail an MOT with it on?
(It was on before, but that was before I read about the twiddling with the lose connection thingy and sorted it.)

So you reckon I just need a new seat with airbag intact then?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm with mike. Get yourself all the parts from cliospares or similar and live with the light. Oh and keep vigilant in future ;-)

MOT, either tell them it's a common fault and if they're having none of it either tape over or remove the bulb

soon to be 182 ;)
shouldnt be two bad if its only a tyre (or wheel if buckled) hoping that nothing is damaged on the steering etc. a new seat you could find from a car breaking (no more than 100) other airbag not much. and resetting the light i would imagine it wont be that much so i recon £300 would be enough depending on any damage etc

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
You will need a new seat try ebay/cliospares etc, airbag light is not a failure for the mot. Get a garage to check the car over someone you trust oviously. Hopefully its just a case of a replacement seat and a new tyre.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
oh and i have 2 dynamique seats, and fletch on here is selling to renault sport ones for £100!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if a tyre blew i would say you might need a bottom arm, wheel and tyre
you can send the computers off to be reset i think its about 70 quid and just get a new seat

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
So a second hand seat should come with intact airbag?
Will be getting it checked over by a garage anyway.

Excuse the VERY stupid question, but, will dynamique or sport seats fit my 1.2 16V expression. (I am extremely ignorant about model differences...or cars in general lol) If they will, how much are yours MikeB? ...I only need one really...

Gunna ring a garage in the morning.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Mine are at work will have to check no ones damaged them, you can have them for free providing you sort a courier. Very easy to fit and will bolt straight in half hours work. however when it comes to resale it may look a bit odd with different seats so you can probally source a rear bench for around £40-50

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
If you're sure they'll fit my car, and I can sort a courier I may take them off your hands, after I've spoken to a garage tomorrow. Cheers for the offer, I'll get back to you mate.

Question regarding the airbags, the RAC were worried the other bags could suddenly deploy, as only one deployed at impact.
What's the chances of this happening, or will the airbag reset thingy from Renault stop this happening?!!

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Yeah they will bolt straight in, i will have to check them first though chances of te rest deploying are very slim!!

Da

Less
As far as I know, whilst the airbag light is on none of the other bags will deploy should you have another 'incident', so I'd definitely want that sorting.

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
if the airbag light is on....move the wires under the passenger seat...it should go off then
Doubt that's the problem, it was, and I did that...and they went off.
But now one's gone off surely that's not the issue.

Yeah they will bolt straight in, i will have to check them first though chances of te rest deploying are very slim!!

Lush, well if courier isn't a rip off I'll have them...I'll be in touch. Cheers.

...How much would a courier be roughly? And who do you guys use?

Last edited:
As above really, if you've hit a kerb hard enough to burst the tyre and set the airbag off I would be checking lower suspension components.

Seat will need one replaced and airbag module can be sent off to be reflashed, companies on ebay provide it.

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
Was going to PM MikeB but inbox is full apparently....here it is...

Hi Mike, you offered me your dynamique seats, now as I've never sent anything by courier I don't know the basics...is there anyone you'd suggest using/avoiding?
And how would they be packaged, together or separate?

I'll get a quote done, unless I manage to grab some from a scrappy.

Appreciate the offer and time mate!

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
UPDATE, Help needed: Re: Small crash: outcome and next steps...

Update:

Whilst giving a lift to some people today, one of them said "I'd better switch sides, this seatbelt don't work"...
Turns out that where my seatbelt strengthened to keep me in my seat in the crash, so did the rear one, despite not being used. It's now stuck...so, do I just need a new belt and when the airbag module gets reset or replaced it'll sort itself, or is the problem more serious/lengthy??

Help appreciated!

182 FF
You will need a new pre tensioner for the front belt, simple bolt on job and a new rear belt. Google airbagsforsale.com, you will need to take out the airbag ecu and send it off it will come back with fitting instructions and with you're new seat and pre tensioners the dash light will go off automatically.

Mk2 Clio dci
I had the same accident in my clio.
Brought a seat from a guy up north that repairs them with a new airbag - traded in my old seat plus cash for it. Can't remember where he is though now.
Got a pretensioner spare at work (work at main dealer) which was lucky.
New airbag comp as it blows when has an impact. was about £130 (staff discount though).
Had to get a second hand rear axle aswell coz i bent my rear wheel and only kerbed front slightly. Got that for £140 i think included all the drums, handbrake cables abs sensors.
Oh and some second hand replacement wheels, job was a good 'en - handed back to finance company!

Someone with Clip will have to configure new airbag computer so would take it to a dealer afterwards to get it all sorted!

Last edited: