ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smartphone apps

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Hey all. Apps on smartphones. Do they download data without you actually opening the app? My dad is on Orange PAYG and his balance is disappearing. The only thought I had was an app possibly updating or something.

If the App's open in the background then theres a chance that its using data. What phone is it?

If its running on Android then get him to download Advanced Task Killer which will show him what's open in the background and will also let him close them down. Other than that it could be email, weather updates or some syncing software. Those 3 would only ever use tiny amounts of data though.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Cheers for that. I knew the answer, but when I told him that all I got back was "Don't talk s**t, I'm not using it". I'm not sure what phone it is (and I don't give a toss either) but it is Android. He can call Orange himself and get it sorted.

Ta though.

I'd imagine every time he touches it, even for a message/time or whatever, it will connect to look for new email etc.

Data is surprisingly expensive on PAYG. I have the O2 version and it's unlimited but when it runs out, it starts to charge me. All I did one day was drive to/from work with it, checking my email probably and it had charged me £1! Lol. Arseholes.