ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoked by a 106 GTi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Twingo 133
When i went up to Santa Pod for the first time
I went against 2 106 Gtis one which was kitted up, which i beat
And one which had been stripped out which i beat also.
This was in my valver which still had its interior and 1/2 tank of petrol.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Think thats a VTR mate . All VTS are 16V

QUOTE=dalla]Hey Guys
I had a brief race with a VTS this fall!!! I am driving a 1991 Clio 16V with 55.000 kms on the clock, and i didn't really have any trouble with the Citroën!!! But i belive that some of the VTS's are only 8V's, my mate had one, it was a 8V, but with VTS interior and badges!!!
Also i read on some webpage that Autocar had tested the Valver 0-60 in 7,3 when it was new (1991), any info on that??[/QUOTE]

306 TD Slut
Dancliovalver said:
the missus has just bought a 106 GTI and it pulls its tits off in 3rd gear, reaches 90MPH in 3rd standard, thats pretty good if im honest, i love the cars, with a few breathing mods they can be pretty quick, i cant leave her 106 in my cammed up valver!!!

they respond lovely to breather mods. mine made 148 bhp on the RR. and a friend with simialr mods got 144bhp.

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
i can beat a stripped out one with a roll cage running nearly 150bhp. all about the driver. 1/4 mile proven

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Tom_16v said:
VTS is lighter and a fair bit quicker to 60 than a GTi.

Marginally lighter, hardly any difference and they're practically the same 0-60, low 7's

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Neil G said:
Plus Peugeots usually rattle to bits above 80mph

The Peugeot's I've had were all better than my Clio! :S

Even my 8 year old GTi-6 is more reliable and better screwed together than my brand new 172 Cup was...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
TheJesus said:
Danny T's I would also imagine would leave most 106GTI's, again, it's rapid and mint... there could be a pattern here... well looked after valvers are quick.

We could test that theory...

Danny works at my place, I have a 106 GTi sat on my drive! :evil:

alreet Rich, not seen you on here for a bit dude. yeah deffo get that organised if Dan's up for it, vid footage would be better too... may have to post it elsewhere though... lol

Snotter's
i had a williams and now have a vts,my bro currently has a valver.There aint much in it but my vts was quicker std but they have to ragged whereas the valver/williams can still be quick driven normally.My vts stuck to my m8's 172 up until 60 then he pulled slightly,against another m8s 172 he is a bit faster so as said you get and bad engines.Roll on cams and re-mapping

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
going on the fact that i currently have both a 106 gti infact ive had 3, and also ive got a Clio 182 cup, i wud say the 106 is definatley quicker all around tbh, i even think that my 106 is more fun to drive out of them all even more than my 182, that saying though my current 106 is 189bhp running on Jenvey 40mm throttle bodies and quite abit else.

But i had a comletley standard gti for my 1st car and it was excellent and doesnt surprise me at all that it pulled on the valver

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
TheJesus said:
alreet Rich, not seen you on here for a bit dude. yeah deffo get that organised if Dan's up for it, vid footage would be better too... may have to post it elsewhere though... lol

I'm still on here fairly often, but tend to lurk more now, don't post as much as I used to...

Yeah, I reckon Danny will be up for it, I'm sure we can sort something out!

As I look out of the office window there is a runway, which was nice. ;)

megane coupe F7R
I had a race with a vts last month and basically we both went for it, i was behind him and at 60mph he moved over to the left so we could have a proper blast. Through 3rd gear my valver pulled my bonnet next to his door and in 4th up to 110 my car pulled its nose in front, basically his bonnet was next to my door. Imo thats a fairly even race, even though the valver came out on top from being behind. From my experience though againts the odd 106gti and saxo it has always been very even with no real winner. You get good ones and bad ones imo.

Clio 172 mk2
Like I said before...very rarely get involved in 'races' with people on public roads.....especially scrotes in saxos, novas and corsas.

I did use to like showing the odd chancer a chean pair of heels in my old car.....once the turbo had spooled up:D

MINI JCW
Martin. said:
Gazcaddy I think you'd be surprised by the result in the reality...

Im only quoting performance figures from Autocar, as i have never seen a race between them I have no first hand exeperience of them

but to be honest theres probably about 20Bhp per tonne difference between the 182 and Willaims, which is not alot, so although on average the 182 will be faster, as you said i doubt it will be as far ahead as the 4 secs to 100 suggests

Rich-D said:
I'm still on here fairly often, but tend to lurk more now, don't post as much as I used to...

Yeah, I reckon Danny will be up for it, I'm sure we can sort something out!

As I look out of the office window there is a runway, which was nice. ;)

hehe, yeah, there's a fair few private runways round our way... good job as CS dont like illegal activity ;)

Polo GTi
Nice cars the 106Gti very quick in 1st and 2nd, my mate Stu has one with filter and exhaust, and they are good bottom half of 3rd too but once over 4k in 3rd from my experience the 106 will drop back compared to a valver, in 3rd I can muller him in the Willy even when it was standard, I do believe there is a variation on quality like the Renno's too, some quick ones, and some not so quick, so my mates could be a slow un but I dunno.

Perhaps the 106 boys would come down to Pod on the 29th Im sure I can drag my mate in his 106 to pod for a laugh.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109029

Oh Rich, be careful of Danny valver it's a quick un, he shows Brun a clean pair of heels and Bruns has cams/chip apparently, let us know when your having a comparison and I'll bob along ;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Danny's has 120+k on the clock too lol and still rapid weird as a beard! Oh and same as Monkey tell us if any comparisons are going down:cool:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What sort of times do vlavers do at santa pod? I ran numerous times in my 106, both standard and modified:

Standard: Times ranging from 15.6 - 15.9
Modified with manifold/pugsport exhaust/induction: 15.1 - 15.3

It would have done high 14's easily and a friends with the same spec did regularly, but when i ran it modified the gear selector was completely buggered unfortunately.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
TheJesus said:
hehe, yeah, there's a fair few private runways round our way... good job as CS dont like illegal activity ;)

The thing is though... this is an actual runway, I work next to an airfield! :approve:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
FlamingMonkey said:
Oh Rich, be careful of Danny valver it's a quick un, he shows Brun a clean pair of heels and Bruns has cams/chip apparently, let us know when your having a comparison and I'll bob along ;)

Think I feel a meet coming on... ;)

Danny's is quick I know, I couldn't really pull on him in the 306, although at the time I had a fcuked lambda so it was not running right.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
FlamingMonkey said:
hehe :evil:

You not fancy Pod on the 29th Jan Rich? My mate Stu is taking is 106 Gti I imagine there will be some sort of convoy on the way down.

Need to actually fix the 106 first. The fuel pump (I think) is fcuked, it's running badly and keeps cutting out, so may not be sorted.

It's my Mrs' car too, so would need to ask nicely to borrow it! :eek:

As for the 306, that's still got a broken gearbox, I aint fixed it yet, was October when it went and I've not sorted it yet.

Not taking the R5 either.

Renault ChaVio
I think a bit of sense needs to be made of this; the 106 GTi is 0.2 seconds (or something) quicker than a Clio 16v/Williams/172 to 60mph. And it looks s**t – I'd rather get to my destination a few fractions of a seconds later even if it meant bad punctuality.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you know jesus my 182 would leave your willy smoking in the distantce... ;)

i can't beleive we are still flogging this dead horse of a thread! :D ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Ok, spoke to dannyt and he's up for a little 106/Clio "comparison" sometime...

MINI JCW
ant_v6 said:
I think a bit of sense needs to be made of this; the 106 GTi is 0.2 seconds (or something) quicker than a Clio 16v/Williams/172 to 60mph. And it looks sh*t – I'd rather get to my destination a few fractions of a seconds later even if it meant bad punctuality.

Its not though, official its 8.2 secs to 60 from Peugeot but many believe it will be quicker, although autocar test was 8.2 but Evo 7.4 i reckon

a 172 will hit 60 in under 7

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
r-jay said:
Peugeot test there cars with 2 passengers and half a tank of fuel so it is said.

This is true, it's done with what they call a "half payload" and is also 0-62mph (100kmh) not 0-60mph, so the manufacturers figures look poor on paper, but they do this to lower the insurance grouping. ;)

For example...

Peugeot 306 Rallye:

Peugeot = 8.7secs
Autocar = 7.8secs (wet)
Evo = 6.9secs

As anyone with half a brain will tell you, the 306 Rallye is a quick car, it's definately not 8.7secs as Peugeot state.

My old 306 Rallye, which I had before my 172 Cup ran the 1/4 mile in 14.8secs @ 93mph at York, it was a standard car apart from a panel filter and the back seats removed. To compare my 172 Cup ran 14.5secs @ 93mph and my CTR ran 14.5secs @ 97mph, so not really much slower.

Don't believe the manufacturers figures... :race:

seb182 said:
you know jesus my 182 would leave your willy smoking in the distantce... ;)

i can't beleive we are still flogging this dead horse of a thread! :D ;)

hehe, you mean if I was going the other way bud ;)

Saxo VTS
dalla said:
Hey Guys
I had a brief race with a VTS this fall!!! I am driving a 1991 Clio 16V with 55.000 kms on the clock, and i didn't really have any trouble with the Citroën!!! But i belive that some of the VTS's are only 8V's, my mate had one, it was a 8V, but with VTS interior and badges!!!
Also i read on some webpage that Autocar had tested the Valver 0-60 in 7,3 when it was new (1991), any info on that??

VTS in Spain/Greece/Italy are badged mainly as VTS's but come with the VTR lump, I am presuming that you are not English and this is to be the case. Having said that VTS's as a 16v are still available.

Also to add.... my first VTS was a "130bhp model" and was pulling away from my mates 172 in second, i was two up and he was just himself (A certain member on here). There is nothing between the three mentioned cars to around 60-70 and i suppose its down to driver also. The VTS has to be thrashed and revs high to start moving, if a VTS tries to do a rolling start say 20mph against a 172 the same in 2nd gear it will be caned......mainly due to the extra torque.

Last edited:
My 172 is slow as sh*t. Its the slowest car ive ever owned.

Are you going to argue with me too TheJesus?

Grow up chap :dead:

Last edited:
  Nimbus Clio 197
"Also to add.... my first VTS was a "130bhp model" and was pulling away from my mates 172 in second, i was two up and he was just himself (A certain member on here)" - NOT ME :)

im sick of these "williams is untouchable" threads now BTW

Snotter's
the mythical 130 bhp model !!! as said b4 you get gud and bad uns but there wasnt a 130 bhp model and i dont believe a vts 2 up would pull on a 172 1 up either

Status
Not open for further replies.