ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snetterton 300 Race Report

Turbos.
Sorry for the delay! Last Sunday it was the first race of the season in our Elise, with its new Go Green Motorsport sponsorship livery you've probably already seen!

As mentioned in the testing thread, my dad and i had both had a day to get used to the circuit. On Saturday, we had Free Practice and Qualifying, which was a pathetic 15mins and 20mins respectively. Especially as we are sharing the car, it is practically impossible to get a good lap in in that time, so were disappointed to be in 7th for the race.

media6.jpg

media3.jpg

But with the new Hewland gearbox, we were pleased to have no mechanical issues to worry about at least. However, there was the small issue of the roof coming off, so that needed to be fixed!

P1080235.jpg

P1080238.jpg

Exhaust was also a bit loud, so more baffle was shoved in...

P1080233.jpg

P1080227.jpg

With the weekend so spaced out, we had a relaxing build up to the race on Sunday. Had plenty of time for some promo shots and i had a nice chat with the cute TV girl. Some of the drifters on here might notice our new spanner man, Dylan, who has a Supra engined 200sx.

media2.jpg

media5.jpg

IMGL4361.JPG

It was decided that i would start the race (i downloaded a coin flip app...). I was a bit nervous, but i just can't put into words how exciting it is waiting to race, it was great to get the adrenalin buzz back after a 6 month break! It was a long wait in the collecting area though, not good for the nerves...

elisecupsnett.gif

elisecupsnett1.jpg

The race was a rolling start. In front of me was the majority of the Lotus 2-11 class, one Exige (in the Exige class) and a 340R which was in my 'Open' class (i.e. modified beyond the regs.) We had quite a bit of ballast on account of all the trick stuff we're not allowed! This had hampered our power-to-weight considerably, so realistically we looking for second.

The 340R rolled slowly over the start line, so we were all bunched up nose-to-tail. A mad man in an orange Exige opted to hang back and have a run up, so by the first corner i was immediately down to 8th, dammit! Nevermind, an hour of racing to go...

So first job was to reclaim 7th position, which i did by outbreaking the orange Exige into the second hairpin (Turn 4).

IMGL3264.JPG

snetterton300map.jpg

It was then onto the 2-11s, who were having their own in-Class battles. I started picking them off one by one, there is nothing better than hunting down cars in front of you! My favoured place was Corum (turn 12) where they braked and i kept my foot in, like a fcuking hero.

IMGL3146.JPG

IMGL3509.JPG

[youtube]iXy0EWcvw88[/youtube]

Towards the end of my stint, i had battled to get into second place. Unfortunately the lost time meant i was 14 seconds from the leader as we exchanged fastest laps.

IMGL0694.JPG

On the half hour mark, i came in to swap for my dad. In the race series, it is a mandatory 3 minute pit stop so it was a relaxed affair. However, the timing was disastrous as my the safety car went out. Through no fault of our own, we went from 2nd to a lap down in 10th!

IMGL3494.JPG

My dad had his work out unlapping himself from all the cars i had already overtaken, eventually moving us two places up before the end of the race.

FT3G0102copy.jpg

media4.jpg

The safety car proved even more frustrating as the 340R had gearbox problems. If we didn't lose a lap, we probably would have won. However, despite the disappointing 8th overall, we still got 2nd in class to get valuable points.

Once we got over the initial disappointed, we went and picked up our dildo shaped trophy from the average looking Yokohama girls.

P1080239.jpg

QY2J7294.JPG

I'll update the thread once we have some in-car footage uploaded. There are some great photos on disc i'm waiting for too.

Next round is Silverstone on 16th/17th April :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant Fenn! Such a handsome face aswell. :eek:

It's hard to understand all the different class'. I can't see why you don't just race against other cars exactly like yours. Same goes for most comps!

Must be such an awe inspiring hobby to have.

I recognise the TV girl...

Turbos.
Thanks guys.

There is the Lotus Trophy which is a series of more production based Elises (i.e. my other Elise i'm selling) all meeting the same regs. Our issue is that we want to the car to be competitive in more than one series, and it would be too much of a PITA to un-modify the car only to put it all back on for another race series...

Mini Cooper S
Glad to hear you had no major issues over the weekend. All we ever read were mechanical faults over the last year!

Good luck with the next race.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Brilliant mate, really liking the new scheme now that its been on track! Looking forward to following the progress this season :)

172 Race Car
there is nothing better than hunting down cars in front of you!

Totaly agree, its when i get in front of them it all goes to pot.

Great write up as always chap. we s**t out in a similar way with the saftey car at Brands last year, lost a lap.

What other series are you planning on running in this season?

Two 0 Shitx
Was the S2 with all the front taped up giving you any trouble?

Oh and i'm sure i've seen the TV girl in take me out? :S

M16a
Looks like brilliant fun, wish I could do something like this.

Good pictures too.

All the best with the up coming races too

Were you spitting out oil on the first lap? Look what happened to all the others behind you... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
LOL! Yeah, that was the Lotus Trophy race, which are near-production spec. They had to restart that one, think they lost 10 cars!

Two 0 Shitx
Yeah, my dad just bought the car doug setters was in before the race, it's having some new bits now lol

172, Tiguan
I want to shake the hand of the hero in the Europa. Are Lotus giving him cars to use? They must have a few thousand sitting in a barn somewhere.

Two 0 Shitx
Yeah, the orange Exige who i mentioned in the race report piled into him! Poor Doug never has much luck.

Ah, never saw his exige but that was supposed to be a real mess after oulton too. What was the damage like by the way? We've been told they're replacing the rear clam and suspension... The guy in the black S2 with orange bits above was my cousin btw he's pretty handy lol

Turbos.
Only so much you can do in a lardy S2 ;) Bit of a shame for the Exige Class has what is essentially a pro-driver in it (Jamie Stanley), no one will get a chance!

Doug basically went out on cold brakes/tyres at fall speed and slammed it into the wall. The car was absolutely mullered!

Two 0 Shitx
Only so much you can do in a lardy S2 ;) Bit of a shame for the Exige Class has what is essentially a pro-driver in it (Jamie Stanley), no one will get a chance!

Doug basically went out on cold brakes/tyres at fall speed and slammed it into the wall. The car was absolutely mullered!

hehe would like to put him in something a bit quicker because he'd beat Jamie for sure, not really sure what Jamie gets out of the series tbh because it's not really well known like britcar etc probably just a glory hunter!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
QY2J7294.JPG

Phwoar look at those!

Brand new A048's still with the stickers on. Lush.

Excellent write up. Really really REALLY can't wait to get out there doing the same (hopefully).