ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So frustrating!

133/225/CLS AMG
Ok, so I decided to remove the vinyl wrap that's fitted on my 225 Trophy's bonnet. It's been on the car for the last 5 years as I knew the previous owner and remember when he had it done. I checked with him first that there was no damage under there or anything nasty I'd unveil and was assured all was well.

Now the wrap has started to perish quite badly in the last few months so I've been wanting to remove it. I set about peeling it off slowly with heat (hairdryer) and taking it so. When I say slow, it's proving to be a b!tch of a job. The vinyl either breaks if you don't apply enough heat but if you warm it too much it stretches and snaps anyway.

This took me about 90 minutes to get this far last night.......

photo2_zps7d10e50b.jpg

Does anyone have any tips to remove this, to make the job a little quicker? Would a heat gun help, although I'm wairy of causing damage if they're that much more intense than a hairdryer.

Or am I just going to have spend literally hours removing it, which is what I suspect is the case. :(

Civic Type R FN2
I'd use a heat gun and when you pull the vinyl, pull WITH the vinyl, not back against itself. Would be a pain though as that vinyl looks awful to work with!

Wallpaper steamer will heat patches and make the glue give up so in theory it would come off in nice wet chunks.

Good luck with it

Heat gun. Won't melt the paint unless you're a r****d with it.

Expect to burn your fingers several times though, mainly due to impatience.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Heat gun is to hot, try a hair dryer and it wont damage the paint.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Hair dryer is what I used to remove sign writing on the vans before. It took ages but worked a treat

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Persevere pal, keep warming it and pulling.

Heat gun. Won't melt the paint unless you're a r****d with it.

Expect to burn your fingers several times though, mainly due to impatience.

Lolthis. You'll also heat the vinyl up too much and burn your fingers on that.

/happenedtochisMPSBadges.