ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So how would a 911 SC 3.0 stack up ?

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
A good friend of mine at work has had a 1983 911 SC 3.0ltr now for as long as I can remember, we were having a a bit of petrolhead banter today and I was saying how my modern french box would eat his classic Porsche for brekky :D

Joking apart I'm interested how I actually would stack up against the porka, I'm not about to start traffic light racing the guy I'm not 17, but would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts ? My car is a standard Ph2 172.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It would probably batter you.

1160kg and 200+ HP (if its mint)

1998 BMW e46 323i
Think they're similarly specced aren't they? I'm guessing the 911 would handle better. A friend of the family has one, says his e46 330i is quicker, love to have a play against the old Porsche!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i don't think the old 911 would batter the Clio at all (other than in a straight line maybe). It would take a very good committed driver in the twisties I think. And I don't mean that in a Clio is the best since sliced bread kind of way, the old 911's can be very tale happy.

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
Handling was poor in the old 911s. I reckon you would have him in the corners pretty easily.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I figured it would be a close call to be honest, having been in his car it doesnt really feel all that quick to me but it difficult to say, the power delivery seems very smooth so you dont feel like your being thrown back in the seat with acceleration or anything but I guess it does clock up the mph pretty easily.

Clio oasis
Rwyb is only way ya could leagly find out but my money would be on clio as older cars seem to loose power with age :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I think it would be even in a straight line TBH as the porsche will have lost abit of power through time but in the corners I'd def take the Clio unless the stig is driving the Porsche.

535d / t5 caravelle
from what i've just read there 204bhp, if this is the case, clio will smoke it, probably got about 74bhp now

F56 MINI Cooper S
Ye exactly, almost 30 years old now so i would have thought lost at least half its power output.

Clio to take it

RB 182 FF/ CUP PACKS
Handling was poor in the old 911s. I reckon you would have him in the corners pretty easily.

LOL at the old wives tale. I've had a few 911's (two 3.2 Carrera's and a 964 C2) and a couple of 182's. An SC would probably be slower than a 182 in most situations. The game has moved on in the 30 years since the SC was released ! A 3.2 Carrera is probably as fast as a 182 everywhere and faster in the higher speed stuff, and a 964 is a bit faster everywhere, but not by much up to about 100 mph.

None
I'd still pick the clio to own, not a big porsche fan.....unless it's a gt3 :)........then maybe.

i managed to kept pace with a porsche cayman the other day and he wasn't holding back, he gained a small gap on the straight's then i had him back in the twisties, keeping in mind this was a five year old car i'm sure a 1*2 could take an older porsche with reduced bhp and no gadgets to keep him on the road.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i managed to kept pace with a porsche cayman the other day and he wasn't holding back, he gained a small gap on the straight's then i had him back in the twisties, keeping in mind this was a five year old car i'm sure a 1*2 could take an older porsche with reduced bhp and no gadgets to keep him on the road.
This means nothing tbh. Who's quicker as a road driver is more about who's willing to take the sillier risks tbh. A well driven Cayman will pull away convincingly from a 182.

Iceberg 172
A car is only as quick as the driver... Decent driver in a good hot hatch on a technical road will probably be quicker than a tool in a 100k supercar.

Interesting read in a CAR mag a lil while ago (i think it was CAR mag)... testing the meg 250, golf R and 911 gt3 on some dodgy mountain roads. They said the Porsche is s**t scary on dodgy roads so unless you know how to drive it a decent driver in the meg would embarass you!!!

None
This means nothing tbh. Who's quicker as a road driver is more about who's willing to take the sillier risks tbh. A well driven Cayman will pull away convincingly from a 182.

it's only a second or so quicker 0-60.....wouldn't call that convincing!

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
A car is only as quick as the driver... Decent driver in a good hot hatch on a technical road will probably be quicker than a tool in a 100k supercar.

Interesting read in a CAR mag a lil while ago (i think it was CAR mag)... testing the meg 250, golf R and 911 gt3 on some dodgy mountain roads. They said the Porsche is s**t scary on dodgy roads so unless you know how to drive it a decent driver in the meg would embarass you!!!

Very true, most supercars these days are too low and wide to be driven enthusiastically along a country road (plus drivers are scared of binning their uber expensive toy). Most modern hot hatches would embarras a £100k+ supercar on a narrow, bumpy, twisty road.

Iceberg 172
But that just reiterates what Brown Bear said... it comes down to who cares the least about binning their car / losing their license.

Clio 1970000000
Same driver in both cars and the Clio should beat the porky in everything but a traffic light dragstrip. I had a very short blast with a 22 year old 328 gts ferrari and I kept with it easily enough. Technology has moved on alot in the last 20-30 years.

None
my point being you don't have to drive like a tool or risk losing your licence to be able to keep up with cars like porsche's, the renaultsport clio's were built to be capable cars, maybe not the best build quality but still more than capable enough of keeping up with much more expensive and higher powered cars in the corners without risking losing control.

lift number 1 @ btm
fair enough,

I was assuming that the porsche would be starting to pull quite a bit harder into the bigger numbers.

165mph car iirc?

None
fair enough,

I was assuming that the porsche would be starting to pull quite a bit harder into the bigger numbers.

165mph car iirc?

not the point really as we were driving over the moors and through twisty bends so 60-70 was about the limit for both cars regardless of top speeds, i'm well aware lots of cars will eventually out run rs clio's on top speed but neither i nor they will ever reach that point on british roads.

lift number 1 @ btm
what i was meaning is that the porsche will have a much stronger midrange, don't they make something like 220ft/lb?
i'm agreeing with the people who are saying that the main factor is the driver.

None
what i was meaning is that the porsche will have a much stronger midrange, don't they make something like 220ft/lb?
i'm agreeing with the people who are saying that the main factor is the driver.

i would say so, i'm just not sure i would have the same confidence going into corners in a twitchy rear wheel drive car as i do an RS clio, thats one of the things that put me off buying a supra even though it's a faster car.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Should be interesting either way really. I spanked a G reg 911 turbo on the way into work the other day... but I'd rather own the Porsche lol

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Top Gear did a program where they took 3 old supercars and dynoed them. The Mazza was well down on power iirc.

But that was topgear testing tatta £10k supercars where good ones of them got for £20k plus.

Thats like buying a PH1 172 for £200 and expecting it to be right.

Clio 1970000000
But that was topgear testing tatta £10k supercars where good ones of them got for £20k plus.

Thats like buying a PH1 172 for £200 and expecting it to be right.

OP doesn't say what condition the porsche is in or how much it cost. Highly likely that a 20 year old engine will not be as powerful as it was when new unless it has had some serious looking after.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
OP doesn't say what condition the porsche is in or how much it cost. Highly likely that a 20 year old engine will not be as powerful as it was when new unless it has had some serious looking after.

Losing massive amounts of power is bloody hard without having a major problem.