ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So, i need a new ISP now...

F82 M4
Who do you guys recommend?

I need an ISP which has good download speeds and good gaming ping... not too bothered about price tbh.

Need p2p, wbox live etc...

SLK 350
If price isn't a factor then without a doubt I'd happily recommend Zen. They're the creme, have been for years!

Nildram aren't a bad plan B though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
they have great download speeds, actually try and help you with tech support when things go wrong, don't employ traffic shaping and are VERY rarely down and they also know a bit about telephone systems as they have been doing them for a little while.

BT are great and i don't know anyone that slags them off.

Last edited:
  Fabia vRS
they have great download speeds, actually try and help you with tech support when things go wrong, don't employ traffic shaping and are VERY rarely down and they also know a bit about telephone systems as they have been doing them for a little while.

are you on crack?

SLK 350

BT are great and i don't know abyone that slags them off.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthr...=2976367&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Some news for you.

Yes BT, aren't they the ones responsible for installing all the shite 17th Century copper cabling around our beautiful nation? The ones that held a monopoly over competition for so long, until their grasp was reluctantly dissolved.

Personally I thank BT for nothing, they're a useless bunch of chimps in the same way that NTL were/are. And their CS, good? Dealing with them at work is a fking nightmare!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

Have a read into that FUP on the BT site. BT do throttle usenet/torrents and people who download a lot (well alot for BT 50gb a month) have been cut off without warning.

Link everyone looking into a new ISP should read..

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
With broadband the more you download the more it costs the ISP. So on a fixed priced product there's a point where the amount you are using costs more than you are paying. For the wholesale capacity alone, it costs an ISP over £1500 a month to provide a truly 'Unlimited' 8Mb/s connection (It's £210 Per Mbps per month). Would you be prepared to pay £210 for a 1 Meg truely 'Unlimited' connection?

There's several answers on what your ISP can do at this point
a) Do nothing and allow you to continue, problem here being that it just becomes more and more unprofitable for them
b) Charge more when you reach a certain amount, BT love this route
c) Block access or reduce speeds, by doing this you can ensure a fairer share of the network for everyone, this is what all ISPs will have soon enough.

'Unlimited' doesn't work for Broadband these days and it is beneficial to have the network shaped for most users, if everyone in your street was downloading the new Lost ep and you can not even load a page, you would be pissed right? 'Unlimited' works on the basis that so few people could possibly consume a significantly unprofitable level of the product that was hugely above an 'average'.

Its the way the network is managed as a whole you need to look at. BT, Orange, AOL, TalkTalk have terrible network implementations and will only get worse with time, until they implement a proper shaping structure.

dk

911 GTS Cab
no idea what you lot are talking about but i download around 75gb a month and most of that is torrent and news groups and i have never been throttled.

I have been on the phone to bt the past 2 days due to me thinking my line was faulty, them telling me it wasn't, kept calling me when they said they would and in the end it was my faulty router, not the line.

they are a great ISP and the people that **** them off haven't had the pleasure of using them most of the time.

Cut out the middle man, use the best.

dk

911 GTS Cab
With broadband the more you download the more it costs the ISP. So on a fixed priced product there's a point where the amount you are using costs more than you are paying. For the wholesale capacity alone, it costs an ISP over £1500 a month to provide a truly 'Unlimited' 8Mb/s connection (It's £210 Per Mbps per month). Would you be prepared to pay £210 for a 1 Meg truely 'Unlimited' connection?

There's several answers on what your ISP can do at this point
a) Do nothing and allow you to continue, problem here being that it just becomes more and more unprofitable for them
b) Charge more when you reach a certain amount, BT love this route
c) Block access or reduce speeds, by doing this you can ensure a fairer share of the network for everyone, this is what all ISPs will have soon enough.

'Unlimited' doesn't work for Broadband these days and it is beneficial to have the network shaped for most users, if everyone in your street was downloading the new Lost ep and you can not even load a page, you would be pissed right? 'Unlimited' works on the basis that so few people could possibly consume a significantly unprofitable level of the product that was hugely above an 'average'.

Its the way the network is managed as a whole you need to look at. BT, Orange, AOL, TalkTalk have terrible network implementations and will only get worse with time, until they implement a proper shaping structure.
BT have thankfully lost lots of user going to crap cheap services like orange and talktalk, i'm happy, those services might be 'free' but they are crap.

dk

911 GTS Cab

are you on crack?
no

Fabia vRS
no idea what you lot are talking about but i download around 75gb a month and most of that is torrent and news groups and i have never been throttled.

I have been on the phone to bt the past 2 days due to me thinking my line was faulty, them telling me it wasn't, kept calling me when they said they would and in the end it was my faulty router, not the line.

they are a great ISP and the people that **** them off haven't had the pleasure of using them most of the time.

they are the middle man.

you know nothing about the way broadband works or the bt's corporate infrastructure.

lol @ Adam :D

I went with Nildram, after being with AOL for many moons, my god what a difference in performence i have gained :D

Not had no problems at all so far :0)

Liquid Yellow 182
Blue yonder bband

£25 a month 10meg no dload limits etc :) been out for as long as i can remember and ive been with them since day 1 no issues ever

dk

911 GTS Cab

they are the middle man.

you know nothing about the way broadband works or the bt's corporate infrastructure.
they aren't, they either own or did own all the other companies that are involved.

I do know how broadband works, ADSL, DSL, LLU, SDSL, ISDN and leased line and dark fibre.

I haven't confessed to knowing anything yet though, just that BT are good and won't let you down, plus most of the stuff out ther eis theirs unless you go LLU then you put your trust in someone else.

dk

911 GTS Cab
plus adam, the two comments you have made in here,

are you on crack and you know nothing about broadband, they are really helpful btw, thanks for answering his question, if you kow so much, why don't you recommend someone or just leave the thread alone as your posting is adding nothing to the conversation.

At least I add personal experience of an ISP for 3-4 years with my advice.

TeZ

Non RS : (
i owuld say Bt cus i have it , BUt if you are lucky enough to have cable in your area I.E Virgin get it now, u will soon have 20meg my friends and a wicked upload compared to the whole of the market my freind has it and already has a uninterupted 15 mg

A4 Avant & A3
I'm with a company called Freedom2surf, on a BT line.
Been with them for about 4 years now & been very pleased.
Never had a problem. i've contacted their customer support once & had a very prompt replies..
I'm very happy with them.

Not sure about the whole internet gaming thing though, so can't help you there.

F82 M4
Sorted. Im going with ADSL24. Seam to be brillant. E-mailed them last night at 10:00pm asking them if they will support Xbox Live and they e-mail me back 10 mins after saying yes! 24 hour support, brill!

dk

911 GTS Cab
That's not how it works.

I do know how broadband works, ADSL, DSL, LLU, SDSL, ISDN and leased line and dark fibre.
i was pointing out the technologies I am familiar with, I need to be familiar with them for my job, I wasn't stating anything else?

Too many know it alls on here, you never know who to trust.

I'm not saying i am an expert on everything, but I have my specialty, and servers, storage, SANS, networking, virtualisation and replication means I have to know about transport technologies for replication.

Anyway, we are going off on a tangent, he asked for a good broadband provider and you aren't helping by telling me thats not how it works.

I used to work for Zen for all of two weeks, seem like a nice company, dad has spoken to the owners a few times down his local - nice chaps.

However, I've heard they've been slipping for a while. Techical Director at my company was with Zen for 6 years, but has got rid of them recently and signed upto to Be* (www.bethere.co.uk) I have done the same and so far so good :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
I used to work for Zen for all of two weeks, seem like a nice company, dad has spoken to the owners a few times down his local - nice chaps.

However, I've heard they've been slipping for a while. Techical Director at my company was with Zen for 6 years, but has got rid of them recently and signed upto to Be* (www.bethere.co.uk) I have done the same and so far so good :D
what sort of speeds are you likely to get though, they don't mention on the website, just up to 24mb which would obviously be nice but is not likely.

I am getting 4mb with BT at the moment

I get almost 6mb, which is what I was expecting. Some people are actually getting the full 24mb... taken from Be's forum:
Thread for everybody syncing up at 24Mb (or more...) on FastPath

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:09
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,321 / 24,576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 146.00 / 0.98
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 15.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

All depends on your line really, if you're maxing out an 8mb line then you're bound to get a great run on upto 24mb if not the full 24.

However, I didn't join Be for the 'ludicrously' fast Internet, I went with them as they don't shape or throttle, and unlimited means unlimited and I've heard very good things about them.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Thing is DK, you have taken the assumption that because you are with BT Broadband (Retail), that they are in some way at the top of the ladder, because BT runs the exchanges and trunk networks for most fixed-line phones.
When in fact they are a totally different division, so basically a different business. Openreach ensure that all rivals have equality of access to the BT network, this includes BT Broadband.
BT are the microsoft of the telecoms world, everyone hates them but wouldn't have got very far without them!
In this country they are yes, but we are talking about ISPs, just because BT broadbands parent company owns the lines, doesn’t make them a better, more reliable ISP, its how that ISP manage and control the network capacity for all customers and going by reviews, people who download a lot are advised to avoid BT like the plague and in surveys there customer service is never in the top 5.

And by a lot, i don’t mean 75GB in a month; that’s a relatively small amount, a 1Mbit connection could do it, i consider myself a medium downloader, last month my total bandwidth was 248GB, BT would of kicked you off long before you would ever reach that amount.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Thing is DK, you have taken the assumption that because you are with BT Broadband (Retail), that they are in some way at the top of the ladder, because BT runs the exchanges and trunk networks for most fixed-line phones.
When in fact they are a totally different division, so basically a different business. Openreach ensure that all rivals have equality of access to the BT network, this includes BT Broadband.
BT are the microsoft of the telecoms world, everyone hates them but wouldn't have got very far without them!
In this country they are yes, but we are talking about ISPs, just because BT broadbands parent company owns the lines, doesn’t make them a better, more reliable ISP, its how that ISP manage and control the network capacity for all customers and going by reviews, people who download a lot are advised to avoid BT like the plague and in surveys there customer service is never in the top 5.

And by a lot, i don’t mean 75GB in a month; that’s a relatively small amount, a 1Mbit connection could do it, i consider myself a medium downloader, last month my total bandwidth was 248GB, BT would of kicked you off long before you would ever reach that amount.
thats a ridiculous amount, i wouldn't consider you a medium user by any stretch of the imagination, that is heavy user compared to most homes that would probably barely hit the 10gb mark.

i didn't make any assumptions, i am going by experience that i use online gaming, newsgroups and torrents and have never had any problems with performance which is what the OP was asking for, i think in that way i answered his question with my opinion. I also have never had any problem with their customer service, like i said, they were ringing me back on my mobile when they said they would and more.

Not everyone is downloading the equivalent of the data of a small country every month remember!

plus you say they don't get any preference but they do things quicker, you get connected within days whereas most companies take weeks to connect you!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
i didn't make any assumptions, i am going by experience that i use online gaming, newsgroups and torrents and have never had any problems with performance which is what the OP was asking for,
Well, you assumed that BT retail are a better ISP because of there ties, when in fact there score is barely average.
i think in that way i answered his question with my opinion.
Don’t see why you answered his question by giving your opinion
plus you say they don't get any preference but they do things quicker
Where did you read this?

I am with PlusNet (I used to work there) which, since the start of the year, has become part of BT Retail, but there network infrastructure is superior to Openworld and Plusnet is an excellent ISP in comparison, but i still wouldn’t say go with them just because it is fine for me, many others have/are having a terrible time. I would go with the market at present and say any of the following would be fine for his needs, Entanet, IDnet, KeConnect Internet, Nildram, Zen Internet. But if he has access to LLU in his area, then that’s where I would be going.

swings.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
Well, you assumed that BT retail are a better ISP because of there ties, when in fact there score is barely average.
i think in that way i answered his question with my opinion.
Don’t see why you answered his question by giving your opinion
plus you say they don't get any preference but they do things quicker
Where did you read this?

I am with PlusNet (I used to work there) which, since the start of the year, has become part of BT Retail, but there network infrastructure is superior to Openworld and Plusnet is an excellent ISP in comparison, but i still wouldn’t say go with them just because it is fine for me, many others have/are having a terrible time. I would go with the market at present and say any of the following would be fine for his needs, Entanet, IDnet, KeConnect Internet, Nildram, Zen Internet. But if he has access to LLU in his area, then that’s where I would be going.

swings.jpg
you are crazy, you really are, he asked for peoples opinions and i gave mine, why the hell do people feel the need to pick out one individual and **** them off because of their decision, its ridiculous, I am entitled ot my opinion, i gave my opinion and that should be the end of it, no further conversation needed.

I answered his question, my opinion is answering his question, you couldn't answer it any other way, there is no definitive unbiased without question of a doubt list that will tell any user what the best BB service is, its all based on experiences people have and their opinions, i gave my opinion and thats it.

I didn't read it, i know they do things quicker, i know people get connected to bt in a matter of days as i know of a lot of people that have gone with them and i have a few times now too. I also know the other companies take a few weeks to get connected, most of them state it on their websites and i also know of people not going with bt and waiting a while. My boss at work tried to go with a provider and after 4-5 weeks of them pissing around and him not getting sorted he just went with bt and has not had a problem since, got connected after 3 days, hows that s**t service?

and again, where did i assume, no assumptions were made on my opinion, it was all based on fact and experience.

I'm not going to argue with you as its not worth my time but you really have to appreciate that one mans opinion cannot be slagged off as it really is just that, his opinion, whether anyone chooses to act on my opinion is their issue, i was asked for it and i gave it.