ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So i took the 182 to Halfords...

BG-182
Hi All

This weekend I've got an two hour drive to Wales and a 3-4 hour drive to Scotland the weekend after.

So with the car drifting slightly recently i decided to go and have the tracking done quickly at Halfords today, i know not the best place but wanted to correct it quick before my two longish' journeys. With this i was offered a Free health check which i said yes if it can be done before mid day today. So had a call from them after dropping it off to say that the disks are a bit rusty (pretty standard), the oil was slightly low, and surprising bit was the following:

-Track Rod End, Offside track rod end worn - quote: £91.06
-CV Gaiter, Offside Outer Drive shaft Gaiter Insecure - Quote £39.87

So with this in mind i said i would do this next week. Straight away after driving the car for 5mins i can hear the steering creaking at slow speeds - This was not happening before this "Free Health Check". So later when i got time i looked at the invoice to see how much things would cost on the CV boot if I was to have them doing the work.

The vehicle type has been noted as "Clio ll 1.2" - At this point I'm thinking what oil have they put in!!! I rang them which to ask what oil had been used - Magnatec (10W40) 530. Not having access to this site i rang Renault which they said if halfords haven't put RN0700 density in it will need draining immediately. I telephoned halfords back and to report back and they haven't got a clue what i was talking about so i asked if they could ring Renault and confirm what oil to actually use!! Halfords telephoned me back and Renault basically said "put what ever in it, its out of warranty, so it doesn't matter":eek::eek::eek::mad::mad:... Renault! JOKE!

Anyway on my journey to Wales tonight a peace of plastic has dropped and hitting the floor behind the splitter under the car. Cant help but think someone has tampered with it at halfords. Im not happy at all, but reluctant to take it back or complain as they i dont want them anywhere near it.

Thanks for reading.

Ross

Audi A3
at least you now know not to take it there again.

id take it back there and explain that the oil used was wrong etc etc and see what gets said, as well as taking it somewhere more reputable for a once over

107 Track Car & C4
I have found that pretty much everyone in Halfords are morons and haven't got a clue what they are doing or talking about. The only thing i ever go in there for now is air fresheners.

Im not one bit suprised by what you've said. Sorry to hear of the problems you are having though mate.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but 10w40 isn't the end of the world is it? I know 5w 40 is the correct grade oil to use but I wouldn't have thought it would have made a massive difference?

BG-182
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but 10w40 isn't the end of the world is it? I know 5w 40 is the correct grade oil to use but I wouldn't have thought it would have made a massive difference?

It still has the stuff in it at present, i do want it changed though next week though. I should be ok shouldn't i? What do you guys think?

R

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6

It won't do any lasting damage, will just take longer to warm up (I think). You also find that it uses more of it; I put in a litre of 10w40 last year and it consumed a fair chunk of it. Topped up with 5w40 and the level has been fine since.

EDIT - as long as it was fully synthetic they put in???

BG-182

It won't do any lasting damage, will just take longer to warm up (I think). You also find that it uses more of it; I put in a litre of 10w40 last year and it consumed a fair chunk of it. Topped up with 5w40 and the level has been fine since.

EDIT - as long as it was fully synthetic they put in???

Yes fully synthetic.

Thanks guys

R

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
even renault got the spec wrong
its 5w40 Rn0710.
get it changed mate wont do any harm for a bit
and halfords are poorist out there

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Not the end of the world if the engine was fully drained down but a 10w/40 is a semi-synthetic oil and the F4R prefers a fully synthetic hence why a 5w/40 is specified... But that's mainly for service life. The 1.2 16v uses either a 10w40 semi or 5w/40 fully synthetic so the mix up may have been the result of someone winding the new boy up in the workshop. Just make sure it's changed well before the 12,000 service schedule as that's too long for a semi-synthetic oil (IMO).

If you're really worried I'd still go back to Halfords and complain as they use AutoData which clearly shows the 2.0 needs a 5w/40 and it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between a 1.2 and a 2.0 (as AutoData shows you what the engines look like to).

172 cup
my friend took his A3 to halfords. the did work on his driveshafts and few other things in that area and charged him £1100! a month late also driving back from wales he heard a grinding noise. turns out that halfords hadnt even touched his car and now the gearbox is also buggered. never let a bike shop near your car

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
s**t-Fit and Hafrauds auto centres are the ones to avoid.

Id rather take my car to a dealer :quiet:

my friend took his A3 to halfords. the did work on his driveshafts and few other things in that area and charged him £1100! a month late also driving back from wales he heard a grinding noise. turns out that halfords hadnt even touched his car and now the gearbox is also buggered. never let a bike shop near your car

Considering it's not actual Halfords, you're wrong.

They're Halfords Autocentres, formally Nationwide Autocentres, so the monkey mechanics technically weren't employed by Halfords.