ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So ive just installed vista......

Shed.
After i stupidly wiped my backuphard drive, which has vista on it so i can boot up form that if somehting happenes to this hdd.....
I finally re-installed it. Tbh i havent touched Vista in a while but........

WHAT A f**king PIECE OF s**t FOR AN OS.

How slow can something get. What a joke. What were microsoft thinking ?

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
I like Vista and i'm yet to have a crash using it.

Seconded!

Had it for 11 months...
Had some minor driver issues with an old tv card, but appart from that i love it.

The interface is much better, also MCE is brilliant - better than sky+

James

After i stupidly wiped my backuphard drive, which has vista on it so i can boot up form that if somehting happenes to this hdd.....

WHAT A f**kING PIECE OF s**t FOR AN OS.

It's not slow on the right hardware.. (2GB RAM+)

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've had a few crashes in as many months on my new dell lappy w/ 2gb ram,.. and a WEI base score of 3.5, which aint shabby. Never had a crash on xp in about the first 2yrs.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
same as everyone else, mine is rapid and haven't h. make sure you turn off UAC aswell, makes quite a bit of difference to the whole experience imo.

Vista flies on my gaming rig, but then it does score 5.9 and 20000+ in '06 :D

On my main laptop it's okay, and on my TX3 - well I'll not be trying Vista on that! Vista isn't slow, it just needs a good machine to run on. That's the price of progress. No one expects to be able to play top games on an old PC, I don't see why an OS should be any different.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
UAC is a total waste of time...it's designed for the novice user in mind.

That laptop should run it fine, i have a dell d620 which is a lot lower spec than that and it runs lovely.

Vista flies on my gaming rig, but then it does score 5.9 and 20000+ in '06 :D

On my main laptop it's okay, and on my TX3 - well I'll not be trying Vista on that! Vista isn't slow, it just needs a good machine to run on. That's the price of progress. No one expects to be able to play top games on an old PC, I don't see why an OS should be any different.

Thats what ms want you to think like! grrrh!

ValverInBits
I had 1 MAJOR big crash using it but otherwise fine.

I just couldn't stand using it. Loads of the advanced setup controls have moved and it works a little different. Really pissed me off

172 rs
ive been uing vista ultimate for about 10months never crahsed and is rapid i think it dpends on the spec of your components has vista is very memory hungry i think it says 1 gb ram is minimum

ur megane r26
yer i got vista on my new dell running AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5600+ 2.80ghz and 2582 mb ram i no its noting special but runs vista supremely

Rav4
The issue is that Vista is so resource intensive, you need quite a beefed up computer for it to "fly" which is a shame!

Shed.

WHAT A f**kING PIECE OF s**t FOR AN OS.

3500+ @2.2 ghz

2gb of xms corsair ram platinum stuff...

nvidia gefore 7900gtx

I hate it.

Better than yours. C*nt.
What should I be doing to my set up and if I disable UAC will Vista be less secure?

This is my laptop:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=291885&highlight=cheap+dell+laptop

far from sh1t for the money

Far from sh1t for the money but still sh1t. No amount of memory will make up for the fact that you're running a 1.4Ghz processor! It will run XP Pro fine and SP3 will see it fly, but I don't think Vista is worthwhile on it! You bought a cheap laptop, you're about to learn why you shouldn't...

I run it on the worlds most powerful SZ2 Sony Vaio... T7***-series 2.4Ghz Core2Duo G0-stepping with 4Gb RAM and it's an absolute hoot. Goes like stink and is really stable. SP1 has helped no end and it's just a brilliant machine to use.

Get a proper computer rather than slating an operating system that your computer isn't capable of running at decent speed.

Better than yours. C*nt.

3500+ @2.2 ghz

nvidia gefore 7900gtx

I hate it.

Slow. Get a proper processor. Single core 2.2ghz is ALWAYS going to be pants, and your graphics card is truly wasted on it.

See above for my spec of my laptop, also running it on a 2Gb/2.33Ghz D630 Dell and that's fine, but the piece de la resistance is the desktop I run it on.

4Gb 1400Mhz 5-5-5-15 clocked DDR2, Q6600 Quad core running 4.2Ghz on liquid and a Superclocked 8800GTX (to be swapped for 2 3870x2 eventually). Not a single issue on it at all, will do me for a long time I suspect...

My laptop is just a CoreDuo u2500, 2.5GB RAM, and even a 4200rpm 1.8" HDD.. and it's RAPID on here :D

Like I said tho, with 1GB RAM and none-SP1, it was unusable.

Better than yours. C*nt.
My laptop is just a CoreDuo u2500, 2.5GB RAM, and even a 4200rpm 1.8" HDD.. and it's RAPID on here :D

Like I said tho, with 1GB RAM and none-SP1, it was unusable.

SP1 does make a fairly large difference... 500 3DMarks in my instance! (06). Now running ~16000 which is astonishing for a single GPU setup on water. Thinking of moving to Peltier cooling but will need to make a new GPU block for that!

VaVa
I've had a fiddle with Vista on my old mans lappy. Certainly looks nice. Not sure what it actually offers (besides visuals) over XP tbh?!

1998 BMW e46 323i
What should I be doing to my set up and if I disable UAC will Vista be less secure?

This is my laptop:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=291885&highlight=cheap+dell+laptop

far from sh1t for the money

Far from sh1t for the money but still sh1t. No amount of memory will make up for the fact that you're running a 1.4Ghz processor! It will run XP Pro fine and SP3 will see it fly, but I don't think Vista is worthwhile on it! You bought a cheap laptop, you're about to learn why you shouldn't...

I run it on the worlds most powerful SZ2 Sony Vaio... T7***-series 2.4Ghz Core2Duo G0-stepping with 4Gb RAM and it's an absolute hoot. Goes like stink and is really stable. SP1 has helped no end and it's just a brilliant machine to use.

Get a proper computer rather than slating an operating system that your computer isn't capable of running at decent speed.

Take a chill pill geek boy. I wasn't slating Vista. I only compared my Dell Vostro on Vista with my old Dell Inspiron on XP. I'm far from a Computer Whizz, but the laptops are similar level machines allbeit about 4 years apart, and in that respect I found XP more stable.

I was aware before purchase that the processor speed would better suit XP, but chose Vista Basic, purely for improved interface and future compatibility post XP.

Vista does run fine on my current lappy, and I'm aware a faster processor would be ideal. But, the system has crashed, once using Movie Maker with an unsupported file pre SP1, and once after installing Silverlight bollo*ks post SP1.

Calm down dear, it's only an OS. Too much aggression on this site.

Last edited:
No amount of memory will make up for the fact that you're running a 1.4Ghz processor! It will run XP Pro fine and SP3 will see it fly, but I don't think Vista is worthwhile on it! You bought a cheap laptop, you're about to learn why you shouldn't....

My CPU is probably rated lower (u2500, 1.2GHz) and Vista SP1 is RAPID with 2.5GB RAM.. I have integrated 945GM Graphics too.. and Aero is also very quick and snappy.

Shed.
3500+ @2.2 ghz

nvidia gefore 7900gtx

I hate it.

Slow. Get a proper processor. Single core 2.2ghz is ALWAYS going to be pants, and your graphics card is truly wasted on it.

See above for my spec of my laptop, also running it on a 2Gb/2.33Ghz D630 Dell and that's fine, but the piece de la resistance is the desktop I run it on.

4Gb 1400Mhz 5-5-5-15 clocked DDR2, Q6600 Quad core running 4.2Ghz on liquid and a Superclocked 8800GTX (to be swapped for 2 3870x2 eventually). Not a single issue on it at all, will do me for a long time I suspect...

im stuck on 939 and theres no way i wanna upgrade, ill need a new cpu, ram, mobo and other s**t to match what i wanna but. so no way.

xp is nicer anyways.

Monaro VXR
So much crap is said about Vista. When it first came out yes then it was pretty s**t. But drivers have matured and now it is my sole OS. The only time I use XP is when a program usually an older one refuses point blank to run under Vista 64.

Think I have booted into XP twice since building this rig. The only annoying thing about vista I found is my soundcard drivers lost Dolby digital and DTS decoding. Which is a bugger when I have a breakout box with various digital inputs.

Gaming performance is virtually the same your talking a couple FPS difference at most. Something 95% of people would not even notice.

Vista also runs faster than XP for me. Especially boot up times where all my most used programs are set to autostart in XP it took a good few minutes to get everything sorted in Vista it is around 30 seconds.

Rig is a
Q6600 @ 3.4ghz
4gb ram
8800 GTX