ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So my 172 is a bit of a problem child

2003 Clio 172
Took my 172 to Renatec in Bristol today for an engine and gearbox oil change and to investigate a few issues. I thought I could hear a bit of noise from my gearbox, and it turns out that unfortunately there is a bit, although thankfully it's only slight, so not gearbox rebuild time just yet. There is also an oil leak coming from the seal behind the cambelt, so I'm getting that done next week and may as well get the cambelt, waterpump and aux belt done as the cambelt has to come off anyway to replace the oil seal. Cambelt was last done in 2014 so due in the next year or so anyway. I should probably be annoyed, but seeing as I got the car cheap I guess I shouldn't complain too much. So far I'm 4 new tyres, and oil change and soon to be a cambelt change into it, but I see it as a long term investment. Either way, I'm in it for the long term :smile:

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
If it makes you feel better, I'm in 2 gearboxes with a massive loss of oil daily 😂

2003 Clio 172
Better to spend some money on it now to get it right and get maximum enjoyment for your period of ownership.

Never understood why people run a car with faults only to fix and make A1 to sell on to someone else.
I agree. Obviously if I'd known what I know now I probably would have walked when viewing the car, however gearbox was completely silent on test drive and the noise now is very faint. Lyndonn at Renatec said he probably wouldn't even have noticed it when he took it out for a test drive if I hadn't mentioned it to him beforehand. Hopefully gearbox will be OK for a while yet as I've heard videos of some whining like an air raid siren and still going. Besides if I spend any more on it now my Mrs would probably be up on a murder charge lol 🙈

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Wow, that's not good.
Did you fit a second hand one or have yours rebuilt?
First replacement was mail order refurb unit from well known company. Second was sourced second hand and rebuilt local

172 Cup
I agree. Obviously if I'd known what I know now I probably would have walked when viewing the car, however gearbox was completely silent on test drive and the noise now is very faint. Lyndonn at Renatec said he probably wouldn't even have noticed it when he took it out for a test drive if I hadn't mentioned it to him beforehand. Hopefully gearbox will be OK for a while yet as I've heard videos of some whining like an air raid siren and still going. Besides if I spend any more on it now my Mrs would probably be up on a murder charge lol 🙈

My car has had a refurbed box (prior to me buying) and on the test drive I crunched it every time from 3rd into 4th. At the money I paid I it was still worth it though.

I changed the gearbox oil and then realised that if I took a bit more time and care with that change then it wouldn't do it. 3 years as a daily later and touch wood no issue with it.

Hopefully with a bit of care yours will be ok too.

I would also add - in my opinion don't spend any additional money on mods. Refresh what you have with cheap OE parts and the car will be fantastic.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Once again if it makes you feel better I did around 6k miles on mine whining like an old dog before it dropped gears:tearsofjoy:

2003 Clio 172
Once again if it makes you feel better I did around 6k miles on mine whining like an old dog before it dropped gears:tearsofjoy:
That's a bit reassuring at least. Mine is nowhere near that bad yet so hopefully I'll get a few more k out of it before I need to get it replaced or rebuilt. Don't want to think about the cost of a gearbox rebuild at the moment as I'll be spending a small fortune next week getting the belts and dephaser pully done :confused:

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
That's a bit reassuring at least. Mine is nowhere near that bad yet so hopefully I'll get a few more k out of it before I need to get it replaced or rebuilt. Don't want to think about the cost of a gearbox rebuild at the moment as I'll be spending a small fortune next week getting the belts and dephaser pully done :confused:
When I bought the first refurb unit it cost me about a fiver under a grand... Just for the box alone. I thought it would be a one time worth while investment but no. That went pop 15k later. Then this second one cost me £130 second hand then £500-600 refurb for all new bearings fitted. It can get costly real quick mate, at least in my experience with gearboxes anyway

2003 Clio 172
When I bought the first refurb unit it cost me about a fiver under a grand... Just for the box alone. I thought it would be a one time worth while investment but no. That went pop 15k later. Then this second one cost me £130 second hand then £500-600 refurb for all new bearings fitted. It can get costly real quick mate, at least in my experience with gearboxes anyway
It's not cheap, that's for sure. I've seen a few old threads on here where people have used agency transmissions for the rebuild. He used to charge around £275 but may well have gone up as that was a while ago.