ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sold my CUP 172...Now what to replace it with?

This morning I handed over the keys for my 172 Cup, I'm sad to have sold it but glad to have said I got to own one.

Sadly the experience wasn't what I'd hoped for what with a poor driving position, hard suspension and simply being unable to use the car to it's full potential due to the state of my local roads and heavy traffic.

I have now decided that I would like to purchase something with less focus on performance and a better all rounder in terms of comfort, build quality, style and size. I've been hunting through ebay, autotrader and gumtree to find a replacement. I have a few ideas in mind,but struggling to find something local.

I enjoyed visiting this forum and the amount of knowledge and input from a great group of people.

The new owner isn't a member of the forum but I encouraged him to sign up and utilise the knowledge and experience on here.

2004 Racing Blue 182
100% a MK5 GTi. I sold one for my 182 and it’s everything you want in a car. Especially if you get a fully loaded one. Mine had every option ticked you could want apart from the very expensive Recaros, leather interior (I don’t like leather), and DSG ‘box.

As a daily car, it was brilliant. Did 32mpg as a standard, was mega comfy, had dual zone climate control, cruise, heated seats, Bluetooth, great stereo, Xenons (100% worth holding out for). I loved it.

I sold it to free up some cash. It was an 08 plate on 98k and I sold it for £5k about 3 months ago. I also wanted something a bit more exciting. Whilst it is a brilliant car, it lacks character. It just does everything well but excels at nothing really!

If fuel isn’t a consideration, R32 could be a worthy shout. Just for the noise alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've narrowed it down to either a 2010 spec Mini Cooper S or Golf GTI Anniversary 25 Year edition.

The two examples i've found are under 100k miles with extensive history and have a high spec level.

Just returned from test driving the Cooper S and got to say it's not for me. I have never driven a car with so much torque steer, and it wasn't even in sport mode. It needed four tyres, wheel re-furb, only had one key and a mis-fire causing a strange hesitation under load.

In truth after reading some horror stories of the PSA engines and huge oil consumption I'll pass on them.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Audi TT 3.2

Nice engines, that although aren't the quickest for the size they sound great, loads of torque, decent on fuel considering the engine size, all come well spec'd and hold value well as they've bottomed out now really.

I'd chose a TT over the Golf unless you often use the rear seats.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only 10k a year.

It’s not just the wings that rust.

Good ones are 5/6k with low miles etc. Age dependant.

Ticks lots of boxes for me bar the fact they are imo expensive cars. I know horses for courses.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Only 10k a year.

It’s not just the wings that rust.

Good ones are 5/6k with low miles etc. Age dependant.

Ticks lots of boxes for me bar the fact they are imo expensive cars. I know horses for courses.

Yeah expensive to me too, especially when trying to save for a deposit. However 40miles a day in rush hour traffic in the clio is killing me already.. only been a week!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My money wouldn’t be going on that.

Should have bought the golf I offered you a bit ago lol

so the Golf GTI I was hoping to view today was sold last night and the mini whilst fast and comfortable just has to many issues that could potentially result in big repair bills. I test drove a TT 180 earlier in the week but the driving experience just left me feeling cold, shame though as it was very well looked after and low mileage for it's age.

Back to the drawing board as I'm struggling to find anything right now in my budget that floats my boat enough to get excited at the prospect of owning and driving.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Sold my TT 225, was pretty high spec and running around 285bhp. Was a money pity and I wouldn't have one over a Clio 172/182. The 180 must have been painful.
All the mk5 golf I looked at a few years ago were rust buckets. I wanted a diesel at the time and ended up buying a Jetta. Another costly experience though psrtispar my own fault most likely.
I've just sold a Z4 3.0i which was a great car to own to be honest. But I fancied having another Clio. You'd pick up a nice one under budget with the 3.0 engine. 2.5 and 2.2 are even cheaper could possibly get a later Si with these.

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Ended up with a 2007 Civic Type R FN2 in black.

Hi mate, i was interested in your 172 cup as you know but couldn't stretch to 4k unfortunately. I have also considered the type R, i've not driven a Clio for nearly 9 years so maybe i'll also find it a little harsh now i'm into my 30s!

Anyway, how do they compare?
Which one do you think will cost more in the long run?

Cheers

Hi mate, i was interested in your 172 cup as you know but couldn't stretch to 4k unfortunately. I have also considered the type R, i've not driven a Clio for nearly 9 years so maybe i'll also find it a little harsh now i'm into my 30s!

Anyway, how do they compare?
Which one do you think will cost more in the long run?

Cheers
You simpy can't compare the two cars, there leagues apart. The Civic is a nice comfortable place to be with an emphasis on the driver and a nice supportive seat and most of all a great driving position for someone nearly 6 foot tall. The Civic can be used as a daily without compromise and even blends in as a normal looking car.

The noise of both induction and exhaust is intoxicating and I enjoy every moment in the car, even on 18" rims it rides bumps far better than the Clio ever could although not as well and softly as my wife's Nissan Pulsar Dci.

The Clio had an air of go-kart with a roof about it, yes it was fun when a combination of things messed together (weather, clear road, smooth road surface etc...)but for me that rarely happened. The civic is fun when I want it to be and a family run about when needed. I couldn't ask for more.

Do i regret getting to experience and say I'd owned a CUP hell no, but maybe I should have owned and enjoyed one many years ago in my youth.

Last edited:
  Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Good stuff, as i said before its been 9 years since I've driven a hot hatch, I've had 346 330d, 330i , Twingo GT since but currently getting around in a Skoda Citigo!!! Yes i said Citigo ha. I worry that i may jump in the Clio and wish i'd gone for a bit more comfort. It could of course go the other way, perhaps i will relish the rawness of it?

I think i'll know on the test drive, i just don't remember it being noisy, harsh or uncomfortable when i drove it years ago but i was younger and had come from a 205 gti!

Anyways, unfortunately i think the Fn2 is out of my price range, the EP3 isn't but then that probably rides similar to the clio?

Cheers

Parts prices from Honda for CTR only items are more expensive than the retail from Renault on RS only model parts.

There seems to be a good base of people on this forum braking 1*2 models so your never short of options. General service items for the CTR are no more than any other hatch from a mainstream brand.

It's cost me more to insure and tax than the CUP but not massive amounts more, the greenflag cover was actually cheaper due to it being a newer car. I'm averaging 30 MPG on my commute in the CTR compared to 33MPG in the 172 both running V-Power. Remember the Clio was just over a ton and the CTR is a bigger and heavier car, not that you notice when pushing it.

The Civic feels more precise in it's workings, the Clio was more raw but great fun.

You simpy can't compare the two cars, there leagues apart. The Civic is a nice comfortable place to be with an emphasis on the driver and a nice supportive seat and most of all a great driving position for someone nearly 6 foot tall. The Civic can be used as a daily without compromise and even blends in as a normal looking car.

The noise of both induction and exhaust is intoxicating and I enjoy every moment in the car, even on 18" rims it rides bumps far better than the Clio ever could although not as well and softly as my wife's Nissan Pulsar Dci.

The Clio had an air of go-kart with a roof about it, yes it was fun when a combination of things messed together (weather, clear road, smooth road surface etc...)but for me that rarely happened. The civic is fun when I want it to be and a family run about when needed. I couldn't ask for more.

Do i regret getting to experience and say I'd owned a CUP hell no, but maybe I should have owned and enjoyed one many years ago in my youth.

That's really interesting reading about the FN2 Type R as it's one of the few cars I would consider replacing my 172 cup with. Later this year my girlfriend and I are having twins so I may need a car which is bigger than my Clio.

I would be sad to see the Clio go though, and while it's far from a relaxing drive on any road, it's just so much fun and I'm worried I would miss it!

Weird how you find the FN2 much more comfy than a 172 cup. I hated the ride on our old 1.8 FN and my 182 on fresh dampers and APEX springs was much comfier than the Civic.

2004 Racing Blue 182
the EP3 isn't but then that probably rides similar to the clio?

Cheers

Had an EP3 about a year ago, and can confirm, rides just as crashy as the 182. Still wouldn’t swap back to an EP3 though. Clio is way more fun for me. I didn’t get on with VTEC either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a car that handles as well as the 172 cup I don’t think you can fault the ride quality. I’ve been in plenty of cars that handle worse yet have abysmal ride quality. Cough “Audi S Line” Cough.

At the same time I wouldn’t call them refined either but I knew that when I bought it as I wasn’t looking for a refined car.

I’ve also read plenty of reviews about the harsh ride quality of the FN2 though so I’d be interested to know how it really compares.