ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soldering Guns

Corsa C 1.4 SRi
Does anyone know where i can buy a cheap one of these? :)

I bought spade terminals for my wiring but it's s**t and when i tried insulating tape, it fell out.. So i want to solder the wires together.

under £20 hopefully

monaco blue 172 ..
B&Q do a cordless soldering iron, uses butane gas very effective for around £12 its called a bernzomatic .......

Corsa C 1.4 SRi
Well tonight i was fitting new speakers to the front of my phase 3.. i chopped off the block connecter stripped the wires back and twisted them round each other. I tried insulting tape but it came apart. I then tried spade connecters but it just fell apart as i was packing it away. :( So someone said try soldering it.

Basically i want to solder the wire for my new speakers to the wire going to the headunit, I've just never soldered before and don't want to make an arse of it.

Polo + Micra
yeah you need to strip them back about 15-20 mm twist them together so they are tight then solder them as they are, then fold back flat to the cable then wrap tightly with insulation tape

Clio 1.4 16v
bernzomatic is for copper piping, you will end up melting things that you weren't supposed too!! Work at B&Q and we do some cheap good quality ones

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Dink said:
yeah but i wouldn't trust a <-- ( edited ) handheld electrical item from lidl;):clown:

Well mate , it sounds like your exactly what a soldering gun is :rasp:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Soldering is easy. Two things are important... keep it hot...keep it clean...I use a Weller solder gun for car wiring, there are cheaper makes that will be fine if you are only doing the odd job I found one on Ebay item #300014463709 for £10.

Use 60/40 multi core solder. (this has the flux which cleans the joint, inside the fine holes that run inside the solder)
To make a splice joint, strip back the insulation and wrap the wires you want to join together. pull the trigger on the gun, it takes about 15 seconds to get up to full heat, then apply THE TIP OF THE GUN to the joint. You will see the joint start to heat up as the insulation will start to melt. Apply the solder wire (which has the flux inside it) to the tip and the joint. and as soon as it flows evenly remove the heat and the job is done. Wait for it to cool and wrap with tape or heatshrink...Job done.

WARNING dont put the gun down on the carpets in your car, it takes a while to cool down.
Dont work upside down under the dash soldering. Hot solder dripping on seats and carpets is not funny and dropping in your eyes has the same effect as self abuse !!!!

Do NOT use a gas iron, blow torch thermal lance or log fire unless you have a lot of experience as it will end in tears.

Invest in the solder gun, P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E on odd bits of wire and when you get it right all your mates will want to buy you pints for doing their soldering...Gun paid for !!!!