ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid front brake discs?

2003 Clio 172
Thankfully my 172 passed it's mot today, however it needs front discs and pads. I'm getting them done whilst it's in the garage, rather than ordering the parts myself as need it sorted today. Garage is using TRW brake discs, which I've heard are decent, however he's ordered solid rather than vented. My understanding is the 172 comes with vented as standard, so will solid discs be up to the job? Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Solids would be for the rears if anything?

If your going factors cam you get Pagid? If they use Ecp.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The worrying thing is the garage was going to fit them? I ordered a set of front discs for my daughters 1.2 Clio from ECP using the reg number and they gave me solids, even hers has vented discs.

I can't imagine for one minute they'd even fit for offset differences.

2003 Clio 172
Problem solved. They are vented TRW's, not solid. It was a miscommunication as when I spoke to them they thought I'd asked if they were drilled and grooved.

@imprezaworks £160 fitted for new front discs, pads and fluid change.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea that sounds about right, it's a 15 year old French car - you'd expect something to put up a fight and prolong the job.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Problem solved. They are vented TRW's, not solid. It was a miscommunication as when I spoke to them they thought I'd asked if they were drilled and grooved.

@imprezaworks £160 fitted for new front discs, pads and fluid change.
I don't think thats too bad of a price supplied and fitted . The guys gotta make some money at the end of the day . I've been using TRW pads for the past couple of years and really rate them . They last ages , good bite from cold and never fade when I'm having a spirited drive.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
and there's always a better than average chance you'll rip a bleed nipple clean off on old calipers.