ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some advice

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hey guys newbie here,

I have always loved the clio 172's/182 and im really interesting in buying one, but not quite sure where to start. I currently do about 13k a year in my diesel burner golf, but want something with a bit more punch. Probably looking to spend about 8k. I personally like the look of the 172, the second phase i think u call it (ie 53 reg!) and just wanted to know what they are like to drive on a day to day basis.

In particular what do u guys get off a full tank of petrol?

Do many things go wrong with them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Or should i save up more and go for the 182?

Black Clio GT
i think the 172 is a wicked car for the money but your going to get knowhere near what the golf gets on fuel!!

what golf is it??

172 cup'd extreme
you will be suprised about fuel 360 miles from a full tank
and much more fun to boot than driving a VW barge

i get about 50 mpg in my golf, got a gt tdi 115, but its bloody slow

to be honest i was looking at a type r but then realised i could a decent 172 for about £7k, but would need to spend at least 10k to get the type r, plus the clio gets about 35mpg apparently. I do most motorway miles so as long as i can get 300+ a tank i will be happy.

Any problems i should look out for, whats the difference between a 172 and a 172 cup other than ones lighter lol

cheers guys

Turbos.
The Cup has no ABS and is missing some mod cons like xenons and leather.

My 172 gets about 36mpg in town.

Black Clio GT
it all comes down to how you drive it, you may need to adjust your driving style cos the tdis power is all at 3k rpm where as the clios is at 6k rpm!!

you should get way over 300 per tank if its mainly motorway driving!!

Clio 172 mk2
I've had 43mpg out of my 172 on the motorway @75-80mph so it's a pretty economical sports car when you go light with the right foot.

I gotta 172, Im doing between 35-37 mpg around town (wen behaving) and around 39-41 mpg on motorway (not going over 80mph) so overall on average I', getting arround 36/37 mpg outta her which I think is very good considering the power ur geeting at the same time. If you de-cat it also then it wud be slightly better (but not sure exact what effect this wud have?)
I went from a skyline to my clio and never looked back as its just a fantastic car, u get so much for ur cash and u can do most subarus and some skylines so go get 1!!